Topics

Chana Wittes Buchwald Podhajce

daniel greenspan

I was searching for my great grandmother (Chana Buchwald) online and saw an email to this conversation group from "Deb" "Idyslpr46@, from Feb 2013, in which she mentioned that she was going to travel to Podhajce to look into her grandfather Samuel's heritage, and that his mother's name was Chana Buchwald (and that her husband's last name was "Weittes"). Chana's husband's name was Aaron Wittes (he was a grain merchant and had a mill in Podhajce) and their children had her last name as they had had a Jewish Wedding, which was not recognized by the authorities - thus the kids were considered illegitimate. My grandmother Ester Buchwald was Samuel's sister.  Samuel (my great uncle Sam) was brought over to the U.S. and worked in my grandparents kosher restaurant in Jersey City for a while. I believe that Samuel had a son Stanley and a daughter Arlene. My Jewish name is Zalman-Hirsch. I'm named after Samuel's brother (who died in a Carpathian sanatorium of TB) and who was, in turn, named after Chana's father Zalman-Hirsch. How can I contact Deb.  I'm sorry if I've sent out more than one version of this, but I just joined the conversation group and I'm not quite up yet on how best to use it.
Dan Greenspan

ldyslpr46

WE ARE MISHPACHA!!!!!!!! Will write to you privately.. thank you!

mervinr@...

How exciting it is that our Podhajce Yahoo site helped two family members make a connection with each other!

Jean Rosenbaum

Sent: Monday, December 08, 2014 1:32 PM
Subject: [podhajce] Re: Chana Wittes Buchwald Podhajce

jerome schatten

Podhajcers...

Yes indeed... it is exciting and gratifying to see folks find each other through this little group of ours. Congratulations to you both, and to Jean, who's tireless efforts kept things together for us over the years.
Best, Jerome Schatten --the list owner and webperson
Vancouver

On 2014-12-08, 5:45 PM, mervinr@... [podhajce] wrote:
How exciting it is that our Podhajce Yahoo site helped two family members make a connection with each other!
Jean Rosenbaum

*Sent:* Monday, December 08, 2014 1:32 PM
*To:* podhajce@... <mailto:podhajce@...>
*Subject:* [podhajce] Re: Chana Wittes Buchwald Podhajce

cjesc@...

I would like to contact dan greenspan or any one in the Buchwald family My grand mother was Sarah Buchwald and she married Elias Isakower. My dna came up with Stanley Buchwald name who lives in Florida, I contacted him but he doesn,t want to talk.He did tel me  that his grandparents father name was Witte but due  to conditions the marriage was no,t recognized  so he ended up with Buchwald. name . I believe my grandmother is a sister to the family.  I sent him the dna but no reply He is in his 90,s Please hve some one contact me  I would like to get more info,  cjesc@...   Jerry Escover

daniel greenspan

Hi Jerry,
I’m sorry that I didn’t respond sooner, but I rarely check my Yahoo email account. 
Briefly, Chana Buchwald was the daughter of Zalman-Hirsch Buchwald and his wife Ettie of the village of Wisniowczyk. Chana married Aaron Wittes and they lived in Podhajce. Stanley was correct that in those days the Polish authorities did not recognize Jewish weddings and the children were considered illegitimate and had to take the mother’s name. The children of Aaron and Chana were Esther (my grandmother), Ettie, Sam (Shmuel), Mendel, Zalman-Hirsch, and Sol (schulim).  The children all had to use the name Buchwald. Aaron, a grain merchant, died young of cholera or dysentery - I’m guessing around 1916. Stanley, the one you emailed, is the son of Sam.  If you are related to him via Y chromosome markers, the n you have the same Y chromosome as Aaron Wittes.  Zalman-Hirsch, the one that I am named after (my Jewish name) died of tuberculosis in a sanatorium in the Carpathian Mountains. I think that Mendel died in the Holocaust. My grandmother Esther and her husband (my grandfather, Ben-Tzion Greenspan) brought the rest of Chana and Aaron’s kids to the US. Chana came to the US at one point to visit my grandparents (way before my time), but returned to Poland. She is buried in Podhajce and the name on her tombstone is Chana Wittes Buchwald.
I have other information, that I could retrieve, but it is all about the people that I’ve already told you about, and about their descendants.
I may have a bit more info about Wittes individuals from Podhajce, but only what I’ve gotten from this email group.  I certainly would like to know more about Aaron Wittes.  I think that he was a Levi, based on my grandmother’s ketuba.
Best,
Dan Greenspan

On Nov 15, 2019, at 5:37 PM, cjesc@... wrote:

I would like to contact dan greenspan or any one in the Buchwald family My grand mother was Sarah Buchwald and she married Elias Isakower. My dna came up with Stanley Buchwald name who lives in Florida, I contacted him but he doesn,t want to talk.He did tel me  that his grandparents father name was Witte but due  to conditions the marriage was no,t recognized  so he ended up with Buchwald. name . I believe my grandmother is a sister to the family.  I sent him the dna but no reply He is in his 90,s Please hve some one contact me  I would like to get more info,  cjesc@...   Jerry Escover

gwhaken

The small village of Wisniowczyk/Vishnevchik, very close to Podhajce, had a large family of Buchwalds.  The people on my husband's tree may be generation or so earlier than this Chana.  Shaindel Leah Buchwald whose father was Yisroel married Moishe Mendel Hacken born abt 1820.   Moishe Mendel and Shaindel had 7 children that we know about.  Shmuel, Solomon Shloma Hillel b. 1842, Avrum/Avroham, Meyer,  Sarah Perel, Esther Raisa, and Jutta.  In September 1901, Avrum's son, Moses and several cousins formed the Erste Wisniowczyker Kranken Unterstuetzungs Verein.  One of the signers was Nathan Buchwalder.  I have a copy of the NYC certificate of incorporation.  The first Hacken burial by the society was Solomon in Mt. Hebron in 1919.    Always glad to share information.
Georgia Haken