Topics

anyone have luck finding Austro-Hungarian military records?

JK

Hello All,

Just curious, has anyone found any online Austrian military records for pre-WW1 Podhajcers?

The online Mormon Church database seems to have them but you need some kind of special clearance
that their online representative was unable to give me.

I spoke to someone working at the Mormon Church in Vienna, Austria (where I live) and they said if I go to their
center they will give me access, but only onsite, where I assume I will be given a proselytizing spiel.

regards,
Jeff Kellner

good_old_reliable

If anyone has luck on this quest, please let me know as well.  Thanks!

[please sign your posts --thanks]

Just curious, has anyone found any online Austrian military records for pre-WW1 Podhajcers?

The online Mormon Church database seems to have them but you need some kind of special clearance
that their online representative was unable to give me.

I spoke to someone working at the Mormon Church in Vienna, Austria (where I live) and they said if I go to their
center they will give me access, but only onsite, where I assume I will be given a proselytizing spiel.

regards,
Jeff Kellner

susan farb

There is a very good free website, which may have it.  It is:  UKR-Gensearch (Gen Team).  They have extensive records of all types.

Susan Farb
Dallas, TX
Researching FARB/LEVY

Never give up.  And never, under any circumstances, face the facts.~Ruth Gordon

If anyone has luck on this quest, please let me know as well.  Thanks!

[please sign your posts --thanks]

Just curious, has anyone found any online Austrian military records for pre-WW1 Podhajcers?

The online Mormon Church database seems to have them but you need some kind of special clearance
that their online representative was unable to give me.

I spoke to someone working at the Mormon Church in Vienna, Austria (where I live) and they said if I go to their
center they will give me access, but only onsite, where I assume I will be given a proselytizing spiel.

regards,
Jeff Kellner

JK

If anyone lives near a LDS (Mormon) research center, you can get access to these military records but you have to go in person. They might politely give you a spiel about their church.

There are many centers around the world.

I read that many Polish records were destroyed during the destruction of Warsaw but on the off chance the Lviv archives retained the west Ukrainian records of Austrian soldiers (and were then photographed by the LDS), maybe they exist after all.

[Jeff Kellner]

If anyone has luck on this quest, please let me know as well.  Thanks!

[please sign your posts --thanks]

Just curious, has anyone found any online Austrian military records for pre-WW1 Podhajcers?

The online Mormon Church database seems to have them but you need some kind of special clearance
that their online representative was unable to give me.

I spoke to someone working at the Mormon Church in Vienna, Austria (where I live) and they said if I go to their
center they will give me access, but only onsite, where I assume I will be given a proselytizing spiel.

regards,
Jeff Kellner

Soraya

Hello Jeff,

I'm doing my research about my family, borned in Bekersdorf Podhajce.
I'm doing it  at Mormon Church,in my city and the place is History Family Center where we can also ask for microfilms there.
They never did that "proselytizing spiel". I was afraid about it too but never happened to me.
Sometimes, someone start to talking about their subjects but nothing that you have to heard.
I suggest you to go there and try. It helps me a lot.

Best Regards
Soraya B. Tony

If anyone has luck on this quest, please let me know as well.  Thanks!

[please sign your posts --thanks]

Just curious, has anyone found any online Austrian military records for pre-WW1 Podhajcers?

The online Mormon Church database seems to have them but you need some kind of special clearance
that their online representative was unable to give me.

I spoke to someone working at the Mormon Church in Vienna, Austria (where I live) and they said if I go to their
center they will give me access, but only onsite, where I assume I will be given a proselytizing spiel.

regards,
Jeff Kellner

Carol Cohen

They did give me the spiel.  I learned that a distant cousin of mine who married a Morman lady had previously agreed to my ancestor’s conversion.  After responding and refusing this conversion, supposedly the act has been removed.  However not until every relative of mine that I could find responded that the “cousin” who gave permission, did not have permission from us.  Carol Cohen

Thank you, Carol Cohen

On Apr 16, 2017, at 9:49 PM, Soraya sbrixi@... [podhajce] <podhajce@...> wrote:

[...]

HI Carol,
Sorry about that. So, I'm lucky, because I didn´t have this problem.
Probably it depends on the people that you meet.
:(

Soraya

If anyone has luck on this quest, please let me know as well.  Thanks!

[please sign your posts --thanks]

Just curious, has anyone found any online Austrian military records for pre-WW1 Podhajcers?

The online Mormon Church database seems to have them but you need some kind of special clearance
that their online representative was unable to give me.

I spoke to someone working at the Mormon Church in Vienna, Austria (where I live) and they said if I go to their
center they will give me access, but only onsite, where I assume I will be given a proselytizing spiel.

regards,
Jeff Kellner

I have found a program that gets around the downloading restrictions on the familysearch.org films for Podhajce.  I’ve been trying to put together my Wojciechowski tree.  In time, I will download all the films from Podhajce to build our own accessible database to share with the group.

I have one one folder downloaded so far, Podhajce - Marriages 1826-1868, Marriages 1876-1898, Deaths 1878-1898, Births, marriages, deaths 1878-1881

Here is the link:  ps://1drv.ms/f/s!As-IUF0Wfp2Zj-YBTcP7bJVuZ-rF5Q

f anyone needs to reach me, my email is Samueljorlando@...

Caryl Foster <caryl_foster@...>

This is all so wonderful!  Thanks for letting me part of it.  My great grandmother was from Podhajce.  Her last name was Schimel.  First name was Chinka.  She married Moses Hutz from Kozowa and my grandmother was born there.....Cirl Chancia Hutz.
May I ask, if anyone has visited Podhajce, is it a safe place to go to?  Do I need a guide?  Where do I fly in to?  I would love to visit Podhajce and Kozowa.  I am a flight attendant so I can do all of this for very little money.  I just do not know how to begin.
Any help would be appreciated!!
I can be reached at caryl_foster@...
If I posted this in error I do apologize.  I'm a bit computer illiterate!
Thanks!
Caryl

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 10:22 AM, Sam Orlando <samueljorlando@...> wrote:

I have found a program that gets around the downloading restrictions on the familysearch.org films for Podhajce.  I’ve been trying to put together my Wojciechowski tree.  In time, I will download all the films from Podhajce to build our own accessible database to share with the group.

I have one one folder downloaded so far, Podhajce - Marriages 1826-1868, Marriages 1876-1898, Deaths 1878-1898, Births, marriages, deaths 1878-1881

Here is the link:  ps://1drv.ms/f/s!As-IUF0Wfp2Zj-YBTcP7bJVuZ-rF5Q

f anyone needs to reach me, my email is Samueljorlando@...

Jerome Schatten

Sam… the beginning of the link was truncated… It should be:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!As-IUF0Wfp2Zj-YBTcP7bJVuZ-rF5Q

That said: the folder at that location ‘Podhajce - Marriages 1826-1868…' was reported as being empty. You might want to give that another look?

Best,
jerome

On May 27, 2018, at 10:22, Sam Orlando <samueljorlando@...> wrote:

I have found a program that gets around the downloading restrictions on the familysearch.org films for Podhajce. I’ve been trying to put together my Wojciechowski tree. In time, I will download all the films from Podhajce to build our own accessible database to share with the group.

I have one one folder downloaded so far, Podhajce - Marriages 1826-1868, Marriages 1876-1898, Deaths 1878-1898, Births, marriages, deaths 1878-1881

Here is the link: ps://1drv.ms/f/s!As-IUF0Wfp2Zj-YBTcP7bJVuZ-rF5Q

if anyone needs to reach me, my email is Samueljorlando@...

Jerome,

I apologize for the truncated link.  I was trying to post it from my phone.  Additionally, the file was empty because I was uploading a large amount of files and it had not yet started to update the folder.  The images are now uploading to the folder.

Again, here is the link:  https://1drv.ms/f/s!As-IUF0Wfp2Zj-YBTcP7bJVuZ-rF5Q

I won't be able to get to the family history library for about another week.  I will try to download another folder from Podhajce while I am there.  I am splitting my time between researching my Italian family on my father's side, and my Polish family on my mothers.  My maternal grandmother's father's family were Wojciechowski's from Podhajce.  My maternal grandmother's mother's family were from Podkamien.

Jerome Schatten

Hi Sam… Perfect a - great job, nice high resolution which should make it quite useful for those who can decipher the Polish cursive writing (a job in itself, I guess).

Thanks,
jerome

On May 27, 2018, at 13:16, Sam Orlando <samueljorlando@...> wrote:

Jerome,

I apologize for the truncated link. I was trying to post it from my phone. Additionally, the file was empty because I was uploading a large amount of files and it had not yet started to update the folder. The images are now uploading to the folder.

Again, here is the link: https://1drv.ms/f/s!As-IUF0Wfp2Zj-YBTcP7bJVuZ-rF5Q

I won't be able to get to the family history library for about another week. I will try to download another folder from Podhajce while I am there. I am splitting my time between researching my Italian family on my father's side, and my Polish family on my mothers. My maternal grandmother's father's family were Wojciechowski's from Podhajce. My maternal grandmother's mother's family were from Podkamien.

Cynthia Singer

Hi Sam,
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, the files are all there now. Wonderful that you were able to do this.
I'd love to find my great grandparents marriage. Walfisch and Breiter.
Any help is most greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Cynthia Singer

On May 27, 2018, at 4:31 PM, Jerome Schatten <iromicu@...> wrote:

[...]

For all those interested in the software that I used...

Here is a link to the program.  https://genealogiafb.blogspot.pt/2015/04/ferramentas-java-para-download-de.html

It used to work much better with the familysearch site.  When I first found it, you could download 3000 images in about 30 minutes. Now, familysearch imposes restrictions on the software.  It can download only 40 images every 10 minutes or 240 images every hour.  There are ways to get around this, though.  However, you need more than one email address, and you need to create more than one familysearch account.  To download images that are restricted, you need to be a family history center in order for the software to work.  In the options section of the software, you need to enter your familysearch username and password.  Once you copy the link to the images you want and paste it into the program, it should begin downloading the images.  Once it downloads 40 images, it will stop and won't start again for another 10 minutes.  If you create more than once account, you can go back to options, enter the credentials of your other account, close the program and reopen it.  When you reopen it, it will automatically be logged into your other account and should begin to download the images.  I rotate between 3 accounts, I am able to download about 2400 images in 4 hours.  The program's language is written in Portuguese....

Adam

Have you heard of Kathe Wojciechowski? She married Karol Hurschfeld in USA

Bert Distelburger

Anyone know a Morris Seinfeld, who came over around 1910?  My wife’s grandfather.

On Nov 2, 2019, at 7:44 PM, Adam via Groups.Io <adamfur@...> wrote:

Have you heard of Kathe Wojciechowski? She married Karol Hurschfeld in USA

[* Next time... You might think of changing the 'Subject' line to better reflect that you're after
info on Kathe Wojciechowski, rather than AH military records, no? -- the moderator]