From: ldyslpr46
To: podhajce@...
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:39 PM
Subject: [podhajce] Looking for Buchwald/Weittes(sp?)

I am trying to plan a trip to Podhajce this summer with my daughter to find my grandfather's roots. His name was Samuel and apparently, his mother's name was Chana Buchwald. For some reason he was made to take his mother's last name and not his father's. His father's last name was pronounced Vee-tes. I have been diagnosed with ALS and this is most certainly on my bucket list. If anyone has any information as to how I go about looking for this information and who I can contact in that area to help me get around, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you-
deb

gwhaken

If you look at the JewishGen archives you will see the name of Alex Dunai who comes with fine recommendations. Samuel's parents probably only had a religious wedding so it was not recognized by the authorities so he was considered illegitimate and had to take his mother's name. Lots of Buchwalds in the area and at least one in my research.

--- In podhajce@..., "ldyslpr46" <ldyslpr46@...> wrote:

I am trying to plan a trip to Podhajce this summer with my daughter to find my grandfather's roots. His name was Samuel and apparently, his mother's name was Chana Buchwald. For some reason he was made to take his mother's last name and not his father's. His father's last name was pronounced Vee-tes. I have been diagnosed with ALS and this is most certainly on my bucket list. If anyone has any information as to how I go about looking for this information and who I can contact in that area to help me get around, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you-
deb

Cynthia Singer

Hi Deb,
I can also personally highly recommend Meylach Sheykhet. He can be reached at Meylach@...

Warmest regards
Cynthia Singer

--- In podhajce@..., "ldyslpr46" wrote:

> I am trying to plan a trip to Podhajce this summer with my daughter to find my grandfather's roots. His name was Samuel and apparently, his mother's name was Chana Buchwald. For some reason he was made to take his mother's last name and not his father's. His father's last name was pronounced Vee-tes. I have been diagnosed with ALS and this is most certainly on my bucket list. If anyone has any information as to how I go about looking for this information and who I can contact in that area to help me get around, I would greatly appreciate it.
> Thank you-
> deb

JK

I used Alex Dunaj and must say he was courteous, enthusiastic, on-time and not expensive...in 2000 it cost something like $125 for a day with him and a car...but I am sure he will have raised prices because of higher demand and inflation, particularly with regards to fuel...

If you have the money, I recommend spending two days where you want to go...an afternoon is just not enough...the hotel on main street is basic but cheap...

I think the guy who wrote Everything is Illuminated used him too...remember reading about it in the NYT Sunday Magazine...

"ldyslpr46" <ldyslpr46@...> wrote:

I am trying to plan a trip to Podhajce this summer with
my daughter to find my grandfather's roots. His name was
Samuel and apparently, his mother's name was Chana Buchwald.
For some reason he was made to take his mother's last name
and not his father's. His father's last name was pronounced
Vee-tes. I have been diagnosed with ALS and this is most
certainly on my bucket list. If anyone has any information
as to how I go about looking for this information and who I
can contact in that area to help me get around, I would
greatly appreciate it.
Thank you-
deb

    podhajce-fullfeatured@...

daniel greenspan

Deb,
I was searching for my great grandmother (Chana Buchwald) online and saw your email to this conversation group from Feb 2013, in which you mentioned that you were going to travel to Podhajce to look into your grandfather Samuel's heritage, and that his mother's name was Chana Buchwald (and that her husband's last name was Weittes. Chana's husband's name was Aaron Wittes and their children had her last name as they had had a Jewish Wedding, which was not recognized by the authorities - thus the kids were considered illegitimate. My grandmother Ester Buchwald was Samuel's sister.  Samuel (my great uncle Sam) was brought over to the U.S. and worked in my grandparents kosher restaurant in Jersey City for a while. I believe that Samuel had a son Stanley and a daughter Arlene. My Jewish name is Zalman-Hirsch. I'm named after Samuel's brother (who died in a Carpathian sanatorium of TB) and who was, in turn, named after Chana's father Zalman-Hirsch. Please contact me.
Dan Greenspan

C J Escover

Hi Contact Stanlley Buchwald in Sunrise Florida He matched my DNA in 23and me Said his name should be Wittes not buchwald the mothers name, They are not to friendly people.I believe my grandmother iYahavid Buchwald ins related   Jerry Escover  cjesc@...