Topics

New on the Podhajce Website - 2011 April 14

jerome schatten

Dear List Podhajce Members...

I have today put some new material onto our JewishGen Podhajce Website
http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/podhajce/

1. A collection of five newspaper articles from various U.S. papers
dealing with Podhajce: From the Menu on the left side of the home page,
click on 'Podhajce History' then click on 'Library of Congress
Collection'.

There are three different articles about the May 1889 fire which gutted
the town. Two other articles are from 1915 and describe the war
situation around Podhajce.

If you're lazy, you can get to the articles directly at:
http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/podhajce/history/loc/index.html
These articles came from Edgar Hauster who took the 2009 set of Podhajce
cemetery photos in our Photgraphs Collection section on the website.

2. From Jean Rosenbaum, two links to the Belzec Death Camp in Belzec,
Poland where many from Podhajce were murdered. From the Menu, click on
'Podhajce Synagogues and Memorials', then you will see the links at the
bottom of the page. Or directly at:
http://www.sztetl.org.pl/en/city/belzec/
and
http://www.sztetl.org.pl/en/image/14725/

A gitten Pesach to you all!
Jerome Schatten
Vancouver, Canada - webperson

Jean Rosenbaum <mervinr@...>

Thanks Jerome!      Jean

[...]

Great to have the newspaper articles.  However, I think that some numbers were transposed in the date at the bottom of the final article.  Shouldn't it be 1915?

Jean

[...]

Jean: Ooooops... my bad; you're correct --I'll fix it.

BTW, in thinking about the fire and my GGF leaving for Czernowitz with
his family just after -- it starts to make sense. If I recall correctly,
there was also a large out-migration to the US after the fire too.

Best,
jerome