Re: Chana Wittes Buchwald Podhajce

daniel greenspan

Hi Jerry,
I’m sorry that I didn’t respond sooner, but I rarely check my Yahoo email account.
Briefly, Chana Buchwald was the daughter of Zalman-Hirsch Buchwald and his wife Ettie of the village of Wisniowczyk. Chana married Aaron Wittes and they lived in Podhajce. Stanley was correct that in those days the Polish authorities did not recognize Jewish weddings and the children were considered illegitimate and had to take the mother’s name. The children of Aaron and Chana were Esther (my grandmother), Ettie, Sam (Shmuel), Mendel, Zalman-Hirsch, and Sol (schulim).  The children all had to use the name Buchwald. Aaron, a grain merchant, died young of cholera or dysentery - I’m guessing around 1916. Stanley, the one you emailed, is the son of Sam.  If you are related to him via Y chromosome markers, the n you have the same Y chromosome as Aaron Wittes.  Zalman-Hirsch, the one that I am named after (my Jewish name) died of tuberculosis in a sanatorium in the Carpathian Mountains. I think that Mendel died in the Holocaust. My grandmother Esther and her husband (my grandfather, Ben-Tzion Greenspan) brought the rest of Chana and Aaron’s kids to the US. Chana came to the US at one point to visit my grandparents (way before my time), but returned to Poland. She is buried in Podhajce and the name on her tombstone is Chana Wittes Buchwald.
I have other information, that I could retrieve, but it is all about the people that I’ve already told you about, and about their descendants.
I may have a bit more info about Wittes individuals from Podhajce, but only what I’ve gotten from this email group.  I certainly would like to know more about Aaron Wittes.  I think that he was a Levi, based on my grandmother’s ketuba.
Best,
Dan Greenspan

On Nov 15, 2019, at 5:37 PM, cjesc@... wrote:

I would like to contact dan greenspan or any one in the Buchwald family My grand mother was Sarah Buchwald and she married Elias Isakower. My dna came up with Stanley Buchwald name who lives in Florida, I contacted him but he doesn,t want to talk.He did tel me  that his grandparents father name was Witte but due  to conditions the marriage was no,t recognized  so he ended up with Buchwald. name . I believe my grandmother is a sister to the family.  I sent him the dna but no reply He is in his 90,s Please hve some one contact me  I would like to get more info,  cjesc@...   Jerry Escover