Re: Looking for Buchwald/Weittes(sp?)

daniel greenspan

Deb,
I was searching for my great grandmother (Chana Buchwald) online and saw your email to this conversation group from Feb 2013, in which you mentioned that you were going to travel to Podhajce to look into your grandfather Samuel's heritage, and that his mother's name was Chana Buchwald (and that her husband's last name was Weittes. Chana's husband's name was Aaron Wittes and their children had her last name as they had had a Jewish Wedding, which was not recognized by the authorities - thus the kids were considered illegitimate. My grandmother Ester Buchwald was Samuel's sister.  Samuel (my great uncle Sam) was brought over to the U.S. and worked in my grandparents kosher restaurant in Jersey City for a while. I believe that Samuel had a son Stanley and a daughter Arlene. My Jewish name is Zalman-Hirsch. I'm named after Samuel's brother (who died in a Carpathian sanatorium of TB) and who was, in turn, named after Chana's father Zalman-Hirsch. Please contact me.
Dan Greenspan