From: "CirrusJSB@... [podhajce]"
To: podhajce@...
Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2014 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: [podhajce] Just Starting...

Stacy,

First, welcome to the group.

Second, the journey you are starting can be both enthralling and exasperating.  Know going in that you will make wrong turns and hit dead ends, but don't let the frustration(s) deter you.  It took me more than 15 years of on-again off-again searching to find the ship record of my paternal great-grandfather coming to the States (all because of a different spelling of the family name that wasn't picked up by soundex); but, oh, the excitement and elation when I found it!  It was as though I had cracked the code.

Third, Donald's suggestions are all spot on.  That said, if you know and are willing to share specific info, we might be able to help you focus your search.  For example, if any of your grandparents' children were born here, the birth certificates usually include the birthplace of the parents (which is how I found the town from which my paternal great-grandfather came).  Also, if you know whether you grandparents arrived before or after 1892, we can direct you to the websites of either Castle Garden or Ellis Island.  Of course, if you don't want to share the info with the whole group, feel free to respond to me directly.

Good luck!

Jon Brooks