Re: Just Starting...

Stacy Dick

Thanks, Donald...I appreciate the advice and guidance.
Stacy

From: "DONALD RIGER donriger@... [podhajce]"
To: podhajce@...
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2014 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: [podhajce] Just Starting...

Stacy,

Just a few thoughts,

1. Jewish Genealogy takes time--be patient.
2. Some records from Podhajce do exist( fortunately the nazis didn't destroy them all).
3. Talk to cousins who may have heard something from their parents.
4. Join Jewish Gen
5. Consider getting your DNA tested. You may end up finding cousins that may help you.
6. Research Stevemorse.org

Good luck,

Donald Riger

On Nov 21, 2014, at 9:04 AM, "Stacy Dick ssdnyc@... [podhajce]" <podhajce@...> wrote:

I am at the very beginning of my efforts to research my family origins in Podhajce.

How  do I even know about Podhajce? Well, two reasons: (1) before he died, my father told me that his father had come from (phonetically) "puhd-AY-itz", and (2) my grandfather and grandmother (who came to the US in the 1900-1910 period, already married with 3 young kids) are buried in one of the Podhajce landsmanschaft cemetery areas at Mt Zion Cemetery in Queens, NY.

I have my grandfather's US immigration and naturalization papers, including the name of the ship he came over on, but before Ellis Island, it's all a big blank. (Well, not entirely....family lore has it that he bore his father's first name because his dad was killed - by a kick from a horse - before he was even born...hence Shlomo ben Shlomo.) From various documents, I've got his stated birth date (and presumably a good start on his father's date of death.) Also, the approximate ages of their children (from US census data). Given the birth date of their eldest child, that would also help narrow down the date of my grandparents' marriage. I have ZERO background - other than a maiden name - for my grandmother, but would it be unreasonable to assume that she came from someplace nearby?

I would love to learn more about the family's origins in Podhajce. Can anyone advise me on how best to get started?

Many thanks,
Stacy