Looking for Buchwald/Weittes(sp?)

ldyslpr46

I am trying to plan a trip to Podhajce this summer with my daughter to find my grandfather's roots. His name was Samuel and apparently, his mother's name was Chana Buchwald. For some reason he was made to take his mother's last name and not his father's. His father's last name was pronounced Vee-tes. I have been diagnosed with ALS and this is most certainly on my bucket list. If anyone has any information as to how I go about looking for this information and who I can contact in that area to help me get around, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you-
deb