Re: Surnames in Podhajce

STEPHEN BAUMRIND

Elissa,
The Synagogue I referred to is Massas Binyomin Anshei Podhajce in Maalot Dafna, Jerusalem and was dedicated April 20, 1992.

From: Elissa Sampson
To: "podhajce@..."
Sent: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: [podhajce] Surnames in Podhajce

Stephen et al,

If your family's shul was sold around 1990, it is the building that you see below at 108 E. 1st Street, off of Houston Street. How that happened is its own story.

There is another, older synagogue Lower East Side building which I can research. I think that Jean posted on it a while back and it may have been sold much further back, since I don't remember it as part of a "living" community.

-Elissa

From: Elissa Sampson
To: "podhajce@..."
Cc: CINDY ; Meylakh Sheykhet Sent: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:25 PM

I also highly recommend both the video footage and the book "Together and Apart in Brzezany" by Simon Redlich. These two communities histories have been intertwined for a long time and the War brought them abruptly together.

I am from the Stanton Street Shul, a.k.a., B'nai Jacob, Anshei Brzezan, which is about a five minutes walk from the remaining Podhacjer Shul here in the Lower East Side (see below). My name is Elissa Sampson, and I'm from the Kellner and Citron families in Podhacje. I, and one other immigrant from Podhacje, Abbie Roth who had left in the 1920s as a child, davened at the Brzezaner shul.

This is a photo of the Podhacjer Shul's Yinglish gate (the building is now a residence with apartments). It was built in 1926, a relatively late date for a Lower East Side Shul.