Topics

Please share with your orchid society

Michael Jacob

FYI

From: ODOM'S ORCHIDS <odomsorchids@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:07 AM
Subject: Please share with your orchid society

Odom’s Orchids 2019 Cattleya Symposium

Hello Everyone,

             We here at Odom’s Orchids, Inc., would like to welcome you to join us for our 9th Annual Cattleya Symposium on August 1st through 3rd. Our Symposium is recognized as one of the premier orchid events of the year.  Attendees will be treated to a slate of world-class speakers discussing topics including Cattleya history, hybridizing, taxonomy and conservation.

This year’s lineup will include:

Jeff Bradley (Texas)

  • Rarest of the Rare

Ron Midgett (New Earth Orchids, New Mexico)

  • Breeding with Cattleya Horace ‘Maxima’ AM/AOS

Frank Smith (Krull-Smith Orchids, Florida)

  • Bifoliate Cattleyas

Kouji Degawa (Japan)

  • Premier examples of C. trianae and C. eldorado

Bill Thoms (Hilltop Orchids, Florida)

  • Growing Specimen Cattleyas

Francisco Miranda (Florida)

  • Conservation of Brazilian Laelias

Dr. Dean A Kopsell (Department Chair of Horticulture at the University of Florida)

  • Plant nutrition

Carol Holdren with Judy Bailey  (Florida)

  • AOS Awarded Cattleyas

This year our Symposium will conclude with AOS Orchid Judging.

You may bring plants for an AOS Judging team to evaluate. Symposium volunteers will help you to register your plant beginning Thursday evening at check-in at the Hampton and up until judging Saturday afternoon.

If you have any questions directly related to judging at the Symposium, please contact Carol Holdren at cjholdren@...

 The cost of the Symposium is $175.00 per person and our seating is limited to 140 attendees, so please register as soon as possible so you don’t miss out. We need everyone registered by Monday, July 22nd in order to prepare for each attendee.

Check-in is Thursday evening, August 1st at the Hampton Inn lobby starting at 3pm so everyone can get their name tag and Symposium booklet containing the schedule and other important information. Please plan to remain for an informal get-together for attendees and speakers with pizza delivered around 5:30.

The Symposium lectures will be held on Friday August 2nd and Saturday August 3rd at the University of Florida Indian River Research and Education Center in Fort Pierce, Florida from 8 am - 5pm. Lunch will be provided at the facility by Wild Thyme Catering.

Friday evening at 7:30 in the Hampton lobby we will have an auction of Cattleya divisions. This is a great opportunity to add some classics to your collection and have a lot of fun outbidding your friends so don’t miss this!

The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) center has been very kind to allow us to host our Symposium with them every year. As some of our previous attendees know, there are some things we cannot control. It is usually cold in the building so please bring a sweater or jacket just in case. Also, we have no control over the overhead emergency lights – we cannot dim them. Lastly, they request that no food or drinks are brought into the auditorium. It is not up to us, this is a rule that we must abide by so that we may keep our privilege of using this facility. Please help us with this.

The Hampton Inn & Suites is our host hotel for this year’s Symposium, and we have made arrangements for special pricing for our guests. You will have a choice of $70 for a double queen or $90 for a king suite. They have guaranteed to hold 60 rooms for us under Odom’s Orchids until July 12th. The sooner you sign up, the more likely you will be guaranteed a room in the host hotel.

We also have arrangements with Comfort Inn and Suites with a choice of double queens or king suites for $65. They are holding 20 rooms for us.

Group code: Orchid Symposium

Hampton Inn & Suites: 1985 Reynolds Drive, Fort Pierce, FL 34945

(772) 828-4100

Comfort Inn & Suites6505 Metal Drive, between I-95 & FL Turnpike,

Fort Pierce, FL 34945   (772) 409-1420

IFAS Address:

2199 S Rock Rd, Fort Pierce 34945

Odom’s Orchids, Inc.: 1611 S Jenkins Road, Fort Pierce, FL 34947

(772) 267-9459

http://www.odoms.com/cattleya-symposium-august-2-3-2018/

Thank you and looking forward to seeing you in August!

John and Louise Odom

Jeanne Thompson – Symposium Coordinator
Odom's Orchids
1611 S. Jenkins Rd.
Ft. Pierce, FL. 34947
(772) 467-1386
www.odoms.com

Please make reservations with us and the hotel as soon as possible. If you plan to come, please call or email us so we can hold your spot. We will only be able to hold spots for a week pending payment.

If you have already registered, please disregard this message. Thank you.