Re: Future Meetings

John Rogan

Hi All,

I said (right at the start, I think) that this was a great idea, in case anyone missed it. Now that Kathleen has some surgery scheduled, and will need my help, I might not make it. Will try though.

John

On 7/22/2020 11:10 AM, Marie Hageman via groups.io wrote:
We've only heard from a few folks on this...

We have a generous invitation to have an outdoor meeting in August, (Tuesday evening, the 4th) at the Horn's residence.

We need all to RSVP to see if there is enough interest.

If you don't want to publicly (within our group) RSVP, then please do so via Mike's email: mdmd409@...  

or my own: mdhageman1@....

Thank you,
Marie

On Friday, July 17, 2020, 03:17:37 PM EDT, Mike Horn <mdmd409@...> wrote:

Hi again,  I would suggest that the 4th is as good as any other day.  I would also hold out another possibility:  We (Bea and I) have a large yard that could easily accommodate 20 to 30 people with social distancing.  If we held the meeting around 5.30 or 6 PM light would not be an issue until 8.15 or later. You would have to bring your own chairs and those who wanted, their bathing suits, or not, oh wait that is the other group.  If the weather is bad we fall back to the cyber meeting.  This would not be doable past September, but it might work for 2 months?  After that we would need the cyber route.  We are in Riverton, next door to Cinnaminson, Delran, Palmyra, Pennsauken, Moorestown, and not far from Cherry Hill.  Just throwing it out for food for thought or confusion.

Mike  

From: pinelands@groups.io <pinelands@groups.io> On Behalf Of Marie Hageman via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 1:43 PM
To: pinelands@groups.io
Subject: Re: [pinelands] Future Meetings

Emoji I categorically deny that it has anything to do with age! My objection is overload. My brokerages, taxes, communication with friends, shopping, securing the facilities and speakers for this club, even processing my few-thousand photos each week, and almost everything else in life, are all now done in front of this blasted screen. I'm sick of it! It’s not getting together with real people and enjoying real orchids.

That being said, I have contacted our Sept. speaker to see if doing his presentation online is a possibility, just to be prepared.

I really like the idea of a preliminary meeting in August. It’s been so long since we’ve all seen each other, for one, and I like the idea of getting the bugs worked out prior to the time when we are paying the presenter. 

First Tues in August is the 4th. Who else is good with that?

John DeGood, are you able to host us then? (Or whatever the correct terminology is for the cyber-magic you will need to do.)

Marie

On Friday, July 17, 2020, 12:23:16 PM EDT, Mike Horn <mdmd409@...> wrote:

If you people weren’t so old you wouldn’t mind the Zoom process.  When I get to your age I hope I am more open minded.  Oh, wait, I was your age 10 years ago.  I think there has been a lot of good discussion about the fact that there is no obvious meeting place, in the foreseeable future, that will allow us to meet, or for us to feel safe being there.  We therefore should look for the next best thing and at least try it.  I believe John DE Good offered to host a meeting on a platform like Zoom, why not try it in August.  We can have Show and Tell, and just find out how everyone is doing.  Talk is good, and cheap, lets act on it and not wait for September.

Mike Horn

From: pinelands@groups.io <pinelands@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob and Sherron Davis via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 12:14 PM

I totally agree with you about in-person being better. But  I do not think that the churches are permitted to be open for the foreseeable  future. I know our church had planned an outdoor gathering for this week-end but the council later  voted to cancel it. Also our pastor has informed the 30 groups that meet at our facility that there will be no indoor meetings until February. You are so right about the impersonal nature of a screen but I think that may be the only way for now. Sherron

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri, Jul 17, 2020 11:13 am

Hi All,

I understand there are problems. However, I wish more people would think about the advantages, and not so much on the problems. There are normally fewer than 20 members at a South Jersey meeting, usually 15 or 16. Pinelands does a little better, but not much. So in reality, both societies are dying a slow death. Hate to have to say it, but needs must. Sooner or later, a decision will have to be made.

On the question of real or virtual meetings, I come down firmly on the side of real. My greatest pleasure in these mtgs is  interacting with the other members, and I just don't get that through a computer screen.

Regards,

John

On 7/17/2020 10:42 AM, Bob and Sherron Davis via groups.io wrote:

For the reasons you mentioned I really don't think the societies will merge. So that leaves us with our two separate groups. I also don't think with the way this pandemic is heading that there will be any in-person gatherings until there is a vaccine. Bob and I are happy to do zoom with whomever wants to do it just to hold us together. The declining membership the last several years, due to age attrition and lack of young members, has put us at a disadvantage. Then we are hit with this terrible pandemic. I'm not sure if we could just meet together via zoom ,thus eliminating driving, time, etc.  As a friend of mine has said to me, " There is a beginning and an end to everything" but I like to be more optimistic and hope that somehow we can still see our friends and their beautiful orchids. Sherron

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri, Jul 17, 2020 9:32 am

Good idea but slight problem. Everytime that we have had this discussion in the past, the stumbling blocks we ran into are day/time, and location.

“Merging” isn't really merging as so many members are in both societies and the few who are not have said that it's because of the day/time conflicts and/or distance. So the net result would be not really merging, but one club absorbing the other. At which point some members, who could not drive that far or make meetings at that particular time, would be left out, so the membership would really decrease. When offering the better church, up the street, as an option for our holiday dinner, several Pinelands’ members said, I’m not driving all the way down there.”

(Pinelands’ online Meetup group has 20 people interested, however IF any of them actually becomes a dues-paying member remains to be seen.)

Many members who have joined both societies have stated they enjoy the comradery of seeing everyone and the orchids, so they would lose half of that, with only one meeting to attend per month.

If it's only a temporary rejoining, both boards can agree to just pay half of the expenses, but if it's permanent we have the legal expense of dissolving one club and transferring funds. Since neither club is flush with cash, those fees may take all of one club’s balance, meaning that the other would not be gaining members nor money.

So the all-important question is, if we rejoined, when would our meeting time be? Do we cut out those who can't make Tuesday evening or Sunday afternoon? Or, would we maintain both clubs’ schedules, which, isn't really rejoining, and brings us back to the original problem of where can Pinelands meet?

We need clarity on what is really being proposed? First Tuesday meetings, third Sunday meetings, or both, or something else?

Thanks,

Marie

On Thursday, July 16, 2020, 08:01:11 PM EDT, John Rogan via groups.io <j.rogan131@...> wrote:

Thanks, Jeanne.

John

On 7/16/2020 7:16 AM, Gerald Giles wrote:

Good solution John, we should give it a try. Jeanne Giles

On Jul 15, 2020, at 10:59 PM, John Rogan via groups.io <j.rogan131@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I think it's about time for Pinelands and South Jersey to rejoin the societies, at least temporarily, while the covid virus is still a concern. We could at least try it, anyway. And since South Jersey meets at a church, and the churches (I think) are allowed to operate, we could use that facility for the combined meetings. Anyone else think this might work?

John

On 7/15/2020 5:27 PM, Marie Hageman via groups.io wrote:

Hello all,

Just in case you are not aware of it, there is a virus going around and, our meeting place is closed to us, and all outsiders, with no date for reopening.

This presents an issue as our new year is about to start. Our first meeting is Sept 1st. (As Memorial Day is the second Monday of the month this year, postponing our meeting until the second week is counterproductive.) I have booked a speaker several months ago.

We have two choices:

1. Find another location, if we are comfortable with having physical meetings, or,

2. Going cyber.

Both have advantages, and disadvantages, of course, and neither is perfect. Rather than just vote blindly on which way to go, we first need to see if there is another location that would work. It may not even be a possibility, no matter what the majority’s preference.

Our group is rather small, so the distancing-thing is not a problem, but we need a kitchen, or drink service, and many tables, not only for plants, but the projector as well, and some chairs. Mostly we need to consider the cost. We couldn’t hold our only fundraiser last May, and our membership is dwindling, while speaker fees are increasing. So, the $150- 200./night fee, which I was finding when searching for our Holiday- dinner location, is prohibitive.

So, if anyone has any connections, or suggestions, please first call them to verify that they will be open to us, and get the price, then forward the info to me, or post it here for discussion.

Let’s see what we can do to get the fun going, again.

Hope to see you all, soon.

Marie

Join pinelands@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.