Topics

Person Hull Lists

S/V DON'T PANiC

Edited

I finally got the Formosa 46 list completed enough to publish.

Here are lists of our boats:

Always looking for input. Hope this helps for some of us that like to know the history of our boats.
--
Jason
KP46 DON'T PANiC

Matthew Emerick

Isn't it spelled Formosa?

On Jul 11, 2020, at 3:42 PM, S/V DON'T PANiC <theboat@...> wrote:

I finally got the Fermosa 46 list completed enough to publish.

Here are lists of our boats:

Always looking for input. Hope this helps for some of us that like to know the history of our boats.
--
Jason
KP46 DON'T PANiC
www.svdontpanic.com

Charles Moorhead

I note that Formosa 46 hull number FBB458071277 is not included.  Boat name is “Shadowfax” (last 28 years), formerly Cape Scott.  The vessel is documented out of Seattle and currently belongs to Joel & Laura Moorhead.  It is located in La Paz, BCS, Mexico.

Charles Moorhead – AE7PC

SV “Shadowfax” – 1977 Formosa 46

charles_moorhead@...

Mobile:  253-486-3413 (works wherever I am)

Mex Cell:  612-348-3961

S/V DON'T PANiC

Corrected.
Better at research than spelling.
--
Jason
KP46 DON'T PANiC

S/V DON'T PANiC

I did have Shadowfax listed, it was at the bottom, as I didn't have the hull #.
FBB458071277 is an odd hull number, from what I've seen the hull numbers at that time were FBB00###MMYY. I haven't found any others with a hull# starting with FBB45, this is the only one I see listed that way. Interesting.
I have updated the entry in the list.

--
Jason
KP46 DON'T PANiC

Nuala / Sam

Sadly, are selling our 1979, 46' Peterson Formosa.

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020, 3:15 PM S/V DON'T PANiC <theboat@...> wrote:
I did have Shadowfax listed, it was at the bottom, as I didn't have the hull #.
FBB458071277 is an odd hull number, from what I've seen the hull numbers at that time were FBB00###MMYY. I haven't found any others with a hull# starting with FBB45, this is the only one I see listed that way. Interesting.
I have updated the entry in the list.

--
Jason
KP46 DON'T PANiC
www.svdontpanic.com

S/V DON'T PANiC

And the title should be Peterson, not person.
--
Jason
KP46 DON'T PANiC

Greg Lusitana

Hey, Jason:
    First of all, I'd like to tell you that you did a great job compiling all of that information on the KP44s, KP46s and Formosa 46s.  A herculean effort so "Kudos" to you!
    That being said, I own a later-bulit KP44 (HIN: JKY442861280).  Hull was laid in December 1980 and, based on some original paperwork I have (I'm the 7th owner), it was commissioned on Aug. 4, 1981 in San Diego at the Shelter Island Boatyard after they added the mast, rigging, winches, etc.
    My boat, "Bramasole", lays in its slip at the Coronado Yacht Club.  Right next to it, however, is an older 1976 KP44 named "Shamwari" owned by a fellow CYC member.  His HIN, however, is YC441260976 (going from memory here!).  That's because Jack Kelly initially registered his hull number designation with the US Coast Guard to start with "YC" not "JKY."  There are three theories as to why he did this:
        1) His original marketing concept was to call his boats "Yankee Clippers" (but he later found out there was another Taiwan-built boat also calling itself "Yankee Clipper" and he wanted to avoid any confusion);
        2) More plausibly, to take advantage of Doug Peterson's rising star in the racing field in the mid-1970s, he marketed them instead as "Peterson 44s" or;
        3) His KP44s were being constructed at the Yu Ching ("YC") Boatyard in Kuoashing, Taiwan.
    Regardless of why he did so, the early KP44s (1975-1976) have HINs starting with "YC44"--not JKY44--as you assumed in your KP44 listing.  It wasn't until about 1977 that the JKY44 designation started being used.  That's probably why Jeff used just the 3-digit hull number, and not the entire HIN, for his listing of our boats on the Peterson Group Website.
    Don't know if you want to "fix" these HINs on your list to just use the 3-digit hull numbers for the early KP44s or not but it'll be more accurate if you do.
    Once again, a great effort on your part!

Greg
S/V "Bramasole"
KP44   #286

On Saturday, July 11, 2020, 03:03:10 PM PDT, S/V DON'T PANiC <theboat@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I finally got the Formosa 46 list completed enough to publish.

Here are lists of our boats:

Always looking for input. Hope this helps for some of us that like to know the history of our boats.
--
Jason
KP46 DON'T PANiC
www.svdontpanic.com

S/V DON'T PANiC

@Greg, Thanks for the compliment, it is my pleasure to try to help the group with this effort... for future help when I really start digging into mine and preparing for future plans. Yes I will update the hull numbers and that will give me more information to see what I can find on the earlier boats to fill in more of the list.
Still learning a lot about the history of these wonderful sailboats and their variations. I'd like to be as accurate as I can.
--
Jason
KP46 DON'T PANiC

S/V DON'T PANiC

Also found there were a few hulls built with YCP.
Shamwari is YCP441320976 and the next hull Restless is JKY441330179. To add to the conflusteration #136 (Resolute) and #137 (Luna) are also YCP hull numbers, but #134 (Trilogy)  and #135 (Sereno) are JKY.

So from 101 - 130 the Hull numbers were JC. not sure about #131 since I have no info on that boat, just guessing it's YC for now. Then from 132 - 137 was the change-over period where both YCP and JKY were used. Then from 138 onward it was JKY.
--
Jason
KP46 DON'T PANiC

Richard Chesher

Hi Jason,

The popup information when I put my cursor over the name of our yacht Moira is for another yacht. If you want to include links to the boat's log ours is http://www.log-of-the-moira.com/NAVLOG.HTM

Good job on the list.

Richard Chesher
BP 2568 Noumea 98846
New Caledonia
+687 879 563

Mark Norman

Jason

Nice list, very helpful.

En Passant has 0578 as month/year in her hull and is Irish registered though currently in Maui.

Mark Norman

En Passant

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020, 10:43 S/V DON'T PANiC <theboat@...> wrote:
I finally got the Fermosa 46 list completed enough to publish.

Here are lists of our boats:

Always looking for input. Hope this helps for some of us that like to know the history of our boats.
--
Jason
KP46 DON'T PANiC
www.svdontpanic.com

Richard Chesher

Hi Greg,

YC stands for Yankee Cutter - because they have a yankee and a staysail cutter rig designed for offshore passages.

"the modern cutter rig is generally a set-up with two headsails. The forward sail is called the yankee and the one slightly behind it is the staysail.

Cutter rigs are a choice a cruising sailor might opt for more offshore work. Since longer passages usually means encountering heavier weather, the cutter rig can be the perfect choice to have a ready-to-go balanced sailplan when the wind picks up. They are not quite as easy to tack as sloops, but since cruisers go for days without tacking, the ability to quickly furl the yankee and have a small staysail up in a stiff breeze is worth the sacrifice."

Cheers,

Richard Chesher
BP 2568 Noumea 98846
New Caledonia
+687 879 563

S/V DON'T PANiC

@Richard, That pop-up info comes from the information I pulled from the USCG website. It happened automatically, It's on my list to figure out and fix the ones that are incorrect.
--
Jason
KP46 DON'T PANiC

Charles Moorhead

Jason,

There is more to the story.

Hull Identification Numbers are supposed to be stamped onto the transom high on the starboard side by the builder.  I've never seen mine, and I owned and maintained the boat for 28 years.  We had the transom repainted with a new name as one of the very first things we did to the boat when we got her.  I don't know if the number we have was there and the painter filled it in, or if it was never there.  We found the hull identification number we sent you on the WA state registration that came with the boat.  I have no idea where they got it.  The HIN does not appear on our USCG documentation.

This will soon be our son’s problem, although I doubt it ever comes up again.  If the pandemic craziness allows, he and his family will be moving aboard Shadowfax in the coming months and starting his cruising adventures.

Charles Moorhead – AE7PC

SV “Shadowfax” – 1977 Formosa 46

charles_moorhead@...

Mobile:  253-486-3413 (works wherever I am)

Mex Cell:  612-348-3961

Emmanuel Lavoie

Thank you for this wonderful effort Jason. Chers

Emmanuel
ALULA - KP46
alulasails.com

Bradford Harley

The HIN stamp is an interesting discussion, and relevant to us as we just painted the transom.   I'm not personally worried about it, but for those of you that are,  it would not be difficult to make a mold and add the HIN to the transom, nor would it be hard to add a plaque internally.   My understanding of the regulations in most places is the requirement for a permanent mounting.  Who's to know it wasn't the manufacturer?

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 8:20 AM Charles Moorhead <charles_moorhead@...> wrote:

[...]

Brad Harley

--
Brad Harley
S/V Perspective

Richard Loseby

Hi Jason,

As the proud (part) owner of a cutter rigged ketch version of the 44/46 Peterson family, I can say ‘Tiki’ was one of 6 or maybe 7 built by Peter Hoyt at the Shin-Fa yard in Taiwan circa 1980-81. We share the same hull and deck as a Peterson 44, plus a fair few other things including a high standard of build and an impressive turn of speed for an old girl. Judging from photos the below decks layout and solid teak construction are also largely the same.
‘Tiki’ was finished off in Japan (I was told, but this may not be true) and sailed down to NZ, but then spent a considerable amount of time under some pine trees on a farm north of Auckland.
The late Bill Clark restored her in about 2006 and she’s now happily tied up at Bayswater Marina in Auckland. I haven't seen a HIN number but will get down there and have a close look.

Regards
Richard Loseby

Richard Loseby

To donate to the upkeep of this group and

Adrien DEL PIA - KP44 Feti'a Nui

Hi Jason,

Such a great job.. .I was actually dreaming of this list to help me find out my Hull Number, and you did it !!
I think I’m getting close to it now.

I’ve grinned the number one day at the shipyard before hull painting, so no chance to see it again.
Among the old papers I have, there is a USCG certificate showing my « OFFICIAL NUMBER »: 641953…
I don’t know what to do with it.
And then, I have an old survey where the expert wrote down the S/N, but certainly made a mistake:

JKY44 2332 0381

I think JKY44 is good, for sure.
I’d like to think 0381 is also good.

But these  2332 could be;
232 - no it is spirit of Ago
233 - no it is - Loose pointer
332 - not possible ?
Or….292 ??? Maybe the expert saw two 3 instead of one 9… the date 0381 seems to fit...

How can I be sure ?

If you want to update my line;

Feti’a Nui, Adrien DEL PIA / French Polynesia / former name = Ro'o

Thanks a lot for your job !

Le 11 juillet 2020 à 12:03:08, S/V DON'T PANiC (theboat@...) a écrit:

[Edited Message Follows]

I finally got the Formosa 46 list completed enough to publish.

Here are lists of our boats:

Always looking for input. Hope this helps for some of us that like to know the history of our boats.
--
Jason
KP46 DON'T PANiC
www.svdontpanic.com

S/V DON'T PANiC

@Adrien
The vessel is flagged/registered in France, that 641953 number might be the French Registry number, not USCG, even though it will show on the USCG documentation paperwork. I searched the USCG site and 641953 is shown as an alternate number.
If the you are sure about the 0381 part of the number then your number will fall into the JKY44289 to JKY44292 range, leaning toward the 291-292 numbers. The 2332 number doesn't fit the known number pattern, there is an extra digit. Right now I would guess you are #292, but you may look into the French vessel registry using 641953 to see if there is any information there.
--
Jason
KP46 DON'T PANiC