Re: Cabin top to deck joint #cabin

William Bray

Hi Peter,

Welcome.   I'm still a non-owner so will bow to the greater direct knowledge in the group for practical advice,  but just as a little anecdote from my own experience:

About two years ago I nearly put an offer in on an F46 that came up near me.  In the event I passed because..  small children..   it would have been a massive commitment,  but the reason it was such a good price was that it had a "spongy deck".   When I delved into the history a bit I discovered that like yours it was bought by the previous owner with original teak deck and he had just filled the holes and faired / painted the deck.    I guess after that he must have realised there were delamination problems inside the deck and rather than cut it all up he just put it back up for sale and got rid.

I think the moral of the story is,  if you are going to pull up the teak (and you probably should if it is that old/original),  then make sure you check that the core doesn't need any work before you fill the holes.  You'll be gutted if you get it all fixed and looking nice..  then discover a few years later that there was damp in it and whole patches need to be torn out and done again from scratch.

Good luck..  and as you say,  I'm sure you will get great/helpful advice from the rest of the group..

William

From: petersoncuttter@groups.io <petersoncuttter@groups.io> on behalf of peterhartman1 <8984909@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 8:22:00 PM
To: petersoncuttter@groups.io <petersoncuttter@groups.io>
Subject: [petersoncuttter] Cabin top to deck joint #cabin

Hello all my name is Peter and I have been reading the forum threads for awhile. I am the new owner of the 1977 Formosa 46 Lookfar, thank you Rod and Jill! maybe Jeff can remove it from the for sale list? Going through this process was very difficult with the current global situation, but Rod and Jill helped to make this happen as smoothly as anyone could dream. I am now in Aruba doing some boat work in exotic places and was wondering if the forum could comment. During a recent Caribbean crazy storm, I found 9 leaks all coming from roughly the same area, because water runs downhill. Rod and his son both mentioned that the cabin top to deck joint could probably benefit from a look, the teak deck is original and has been sanded a lot and never removed. So down the rabbit hole I went...there are large gaps along the cabin top to deck joint and screws through the cabin top presumably fastening the cabin top to the deck. My question to the panel of infinite wisdom is, can I fill the gap with thickened epoxy, remove the cabin top screws and glass the joint?
I can add pictures if anyone is interested.

Thank you for being an awesome resource. I think this forum is one of the main reasons I pursued this boat. I hope to contribute to the pool of knowledge here.
Thank you
Peter
SV Lookfar 
1977 Formosa 46

Join petersoncuttter@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.