Backyard Yellow-breasted Chat, Half Moon Bay, 9/15/20

Christopher Hayward

Hi All,
This morning while enjoying some backyard birding and having a cup of coffee, a bird popped out from some bushes on to a low wall in our yard and it took a second or two before I realized it was a Yellow-breasted Chat! I quickly scrambled for the camera to get some photos. Actually I didn't need to panic as the bird was very co-operative, Malia joined me for great looks and we both got plenty of photos. Wow big surprise and a first for our yard.
Possibly a young bird, seems to have fresh plumage, and is not showing the classic facial pattern of birds I have seen in the county in spring.
Have put photos on our ebird checklist link below.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S73632239

Chris Hayward
Half Moon Bay

Join peninsula-birding@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.