Topics

New file uploaded to pedalradio@groups.io

pedalradio@groups.io Notification <pedalradio+notification@...>

Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the pedalradio@groups.io group.

File: vk3ckc_flasher_V1.04.ino

Uploaded By: Kevin Crockett

This one is the final one for the present. It achieves what I set out to achieve. The following text is taken from the sketch. FastLED with state control. Uses millis(xx) instead of delay(xx) for "multitasking" the Arduino so that more same-time operations can be added at a later date. Delay(xx) locks the Arduino until end of delay period. This sketch has a number of functions as coded here: 1. leds_1 - High intensity flashing AMBER light controller for turn indicators. No sketch switch detection is required. 2. leds_2 - Low intensity RED flashing light controller for Tail light. A High intensity solid RED light overide controller for brakes applied. Sketch switch detection is provided, Will return HIGH when pressed. A solid RED colur is applied to leds_2 while braking is On. 3. A High intensity WHITE flashing light controller for day time front lighting. No sketch switch detection required here. 4. A future intention is to include two high intensity solid WHITE lights for general use - interior, reverse. No sketch switch detection required. This one is not coded here. Where no sketch detection is required, DPDT hardware switches will route Arduino output and an external 5V power source to the appropriate LED strip(s). Some time in the future I might write classes for the controllers. Compiled and tested on Arduino Uno but should also work on a Nano.

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.io/g/pedalradio/files/vk3ckc_flasher_V1.04.ino

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

Lloyd Charter - VK2KNS

Good job ,will look fantastic on night rides. Cheers. Lloyd.

"pedalradio@groups.io Notification" <pedalradio+notification@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Kevin Crockett - VK3CKC

Won't be long before it appears. Hope to have the turn indicators and tail/brake lights fitted and operational tomorrow. The rest is easy. Will borrow source code for the display lights and just cycle the effects (no pun intended). No sense in reinventing the wheel. Could add to it later if the fancy takes me.

Kevin Crockett - VK3CKC

Edited

The best laid plans of mice and men ....

When fitting the tail and indicator LEDs it became obvious that there was quite a bit of wiring to connect. Much more than appeared at the front end of the process. To explain, there were 3 8-LED strips. Each had 2 grounds (6), 1 supply (3), 1 Data In (3), and 1 data Out (3). A total of 15 potential wires to connect and that is only for 3 lights on the rear. Although I connected the grounds (2) there were really too many others, although I continued. Haven't connected the Arduino and switch yet.

A better way, that requires considerable program code change but should be possible:

My long strips are also 30 LEDs/metre – 1 metre long and 1.8A calculated maximum current.

Run a number of controllers off the one pin. I could mount a complete strip around the back end of the trike (in this explanation), centred on the middle LEDs – physical number 15 and 16. I could have, maybe, 5 controllers off the one pin, say:

No. 1 - Controlling only physical LEDs 14, 15, 16 and 17 as a tail light – on all the time but flashing, overridden by a solid brake light.
No. 2 - Controlling only physical LEDs 11 to 13 and 18 to 20 as left and right turn indicators.
No. 3 – Controlling whatever LEDs as hazard flashers.
No. 4 – Controlling only the indicator LEDs to provide reversing lights.
No. 5 – Controlling all the LEDs in the strip as display lighting when No. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are not required.

The above would only require the installation of a single LED strip (connectors already attached). I have a few momentary action pushbutton switches that could be used with some clever logic applied to lock out that which is not required at the time, using self-latching algorhythm for the purpose. My earlier switching control was part of self-latching until I changed it. Will have to change it back again.

See? Another project suggested before the current one is finished.

Now, back to getting my afternoon's wiring connected to the Arduino. I should have working indicators and tail light until I rewrite the code.