sticky eLecTricks #chat

Kevin Crockett - VK3CKC

A new chat has been created:

I have been working "behind the scenes" for quite a while on my eLecTricks trike. It was put on hold due to testing a few things on my Warrior so that they would be ready for when the time came, sort of making progress without it being visible. However, I am now back into working on eLecTricks.

eLecTricks things that are now installed on the Warrior for testing:

Arduino-controlled lighting. Working well but a few convenience modifications for the future.
Installation of a 10.1" tablet for navigation, speed display, whatever tablets can do. Just great.
12V battery and main trike battery monitoring. Can now see what is happening.
Completely replaced the mid-drive with the Hilgo transmission from eLecTricks - modified. I have another implementation for eLecTricks to make installation even easier. I have used it for about 30km and it works great.
A 10W solar panel for topping up the 12V battery.
5V USB power supplies. Some modifications required for the future.

A transporting system has been fitted to my 6x4 trailer to make loading/unloading very easy. Easily modified for carrying two trikes.

Testing these items on the Warrior has been very revealing and I have decided to "reinvent" eLecTricks to make the end result even better. The MTB rear end is being replaced with a new rear end, designed to accommodate the Hilgo transmission and other components. As it stands at the moment, the rear dropouts and chainstays have been made, the transmission and rear suspension pivot have been designed, the front suspension is where I left off. The next step, today, is to get a couple of spacers made so that I can get the combined rear suspension pivot and mid-drive completed.

I will use this chat for updates on the build. It has been a long time coming but should now move forward reasonably quickly by comparison. Feel free to comment as you see fit. I might create a special photo album for the build. You can also follow construction on the Atomic Zombie site at: https://www.atomiczombie.com/forum/threads/vk3ckcs-electricks-trike-design-and-build.21/page-4#post-3879.

View/Join This Chat

--
Kevin Crockett
VK3CKC

Kevin Crockett - VK3CKC

I have now built my own rear end, suspension pivot and Hilgo mid-drive. Starting on the rest of the front end and seat in coming week.

Kevin Crockett - VK3CKC

A few more images have been uploaded to the eLecTricks photo album.

Kevin Crockett - VK3CKC

I have decided to maintain something of a blog at https://www.atomiczombie.com/forum/threads/vk3ckcs-electricks-trike-design-and-build.21/ on the Atomic Zombie site to save doubling up here. Anyone wishing to follow the build should look there. I will still post what might be viewed as significant info here but there will be far more detail on Atomic Zombie.

Kevin Crockett - VK3CKC

I was asked to write a 500 word article for a local paper. Published last Saturday. Here's the text:

Cycling - is it just about the riding? Not for me it isn’t and I need more from the experience. My riding has a couple of added attractions to provide a bit more incentive to ride. I ride a recumbent tadpole trike that I made myself. Being something of an electronics enthusiast, I added amateur (ham?) radio. Through various methods, it allows me to talk with other amateurs both locally and in all parts of the world as I ride, as well as position display via www.aprs.fi on the Internet. These capabilities provides mobile radio communications for the annual O’Keefe Marathon. That’s right, the blue trike.

Then there was a legal conversion to electric assist. Sure, I have its battery and motor to carry if I am not actually using it but it provides an energy top-up for getting over that dreaded hill or when you have little left in the tank. Why struggle when you don’t have to?

Next came a few accessories, starting with Arduino micro-controller-activated flashing rear and front lights, hazard flashers, stop light, and reversing light – so I can see behind when riding at night.

A video camera came next, followed by a tablet that runs an app for controlling the camera and providing an image of what is in its viewfinder at any time. Other apps include Ulysses Speedo Pro for speed, elevation, compass, etc., Bike Computer Pro for navigation and trip recording, music for company and relaxation, and anything else that is available from a tablet. There is also display lighting when required for special occasions. Most of this is still experimental but it all works quite well.

Finally, living beside the O’Keefe Rail Trail, I compiled a history of the long gone railway that once ran between Bendigo and Wallan from 1888 to 1968. The stations along the way – Strathfieldsaye, Longlea, Axedale, Knowsley, Derrinal, Heathcote, Tooborac, Pyalong, High Camp, Moranding, Willowmavin, Kilmore, Bylands, Leslie, and a few sidings here and there - are no longer to be seen. You can still see where they were and can imagine what things looked like back then– if you know what you are looking for. Every time I ride the Trail, my mind is taken back to those days that you can no longer see. In my case, I try to add to the history in case I have missed something. This history can be seen at www.axerail.coffeecup.com.

The O’Keefe Rail Trail is a valuable resource for local cyclists and it is still growing with improvements and additions. The recently restored and installed rail wagon, HY 16625, at the Axedale Station site is just one example. Of course, you won’t see it unless you get out and about on the Trail.

Now, there’s an idea. Have a look at the history site, hop on a bike and ride to Axedale, checking the history along the way. Stop in town for a while, enjoying some refreshments before riding back.

Who knows, I might see you out there.