Topics

sticky Electronic Accessories

Kevin Crockett - VK3CKC

I have created this electronics accessories thread specifically for discussion on the fitting of electronic accessories, that make riding and/or operating more comfortable or easier, to bikes and trikes, etc. It may branch out into different threads as time goes by and specific accessory subjects are suggested.

Kevin Crockett - VK3CKC

Bluetooth Audio and Control: Operating a single radio transceiver while riding is relatively easy. A speaker mic can be held in one's hand all the time and then only requires having one hand free for operation - all other things considered. However, the situation changes significantly, even exponentially, with a number of additions. Consider a mobile phone (audio), HF/VHF/UHF radios (audio and transmit/receive switching) and you should see what I mean.

Which one do you send to your earphone? How do you select? What takes priority and should interrupt everything else?

I plan to use a special Bluetooth IC from http://www.kcwirefree.com/. I have had two of them for a couple of years, along with a Buetooth headphone (single earpiece and mic) in readiness. I have downloaded an interface circuit for the IC and intend to add a simple VOX/Anti-VOX to prevent transmitting when there is an incoming audio signal. There will be another audio connect/select/prioritise/level/indicate/kill module associated with it with the ability to also/instead of send the audio to a small stereo amplifier.

Anyway, that's the general plan that will be worked on when I get to that point. The eAssist battery has a USB outlet that I hope to use at least for part. There is also some battery management planned but I can't identify requirements until all the foregoing is settled.

Ambitious? Maybe but it should create interest. I will find the circuitry and put the information up - somewhere.

Kevin Crockett - VK3CKC

I have created an Electronic Accessories photo album for associated images and uploaded a few images to it.

David Beaty - VK3ETE <vk3ete@...>

http://vk3atl.org/technical/RigMaster.pdf

http://vk3atl.org/for-sale/

David VK3HPD mentioned the above rig control from the Geelong Radio Club

Kevin Crockett - VK3CKC

I have uploaded an image of the free Ulysse Speedo app to the VK3CKC - Trikes photo album. This app has many features that do not require an Internet connection. Speed display is provided by GPS. I have used it off and on for a number of years. The paid version that I now have is only a couple of dollars from memory. I intend to have it displayed on a 10.1" tablet under testing on my Warrior. The tablet will also be used to control my video camera.

A really nice feature is the ability to launch any app from within the display once it is set up. Well worth a look.

Kevin Crockett - VK3CKC

My current trike construction has led me down a number of intermediate paths towards future electronic accessories for when it is completed. The first of these was the previously described lighting. I have almost completed the installation of a temporary "dashboard" to my Warrior trike to facilitate testing and shakedown. A suitable mount for a tablet has been fashioned. This tablet will be the main display and will show the Ulysse Speedo and also the image that my video camera is taking. In order to avoid a number of switches and wiring, I have a smaller tablet that will be used for a number of control functions including the lighting and stepper motor camera rotation.

How do I intend to implement all that? Research led me to a free downloadable computer app called MIT App Inventor. This app provides drag and drop creation of display and functionality with either a small screen device emulation or direct casting to your phone or tablet via WiFi through the companion app, MIT AI2 Companion. Together, these apps can create an installable app for your phone or tablet that will allow you to control an Arduino or similar micro. It is quite easy to use with little understanding of programming. Logic functions are also drag and drop. The process is to design the display and then drag and drop the required logic, connecting them like a jigsaw puzzle. There are many YouTube "How to" videos that can help you along. So far I have been positioning buttons and integrating speech synthesis that provides speech confirmation of the button presses. Much more to come yet.

Worth a look if you are looking for some design-your-own Android phone app operation.