Re: Front Mudguards - Plans or designs for recumbents

Kevin Crockett - VK3CKC

Edited

David - A number of ways to combat spray come to mind:

1. Slow down.
2. Avoid wet patches.
3. Completely enclose the rider.
4. Install mudguards.

Items 3 and 4 may be the only long-term practical answer. Item 3 would remove the need for Item 4, leaving Item 4 if Item 3 is not practicable.

There are numerous types of mudguards available with varying degrees of suitability for X-brand trikes. If you can have a close look at Trevor's in his album, you will see that his trike has mudguards which are, probably, Greenspeeds and relatively expensive. However, if I was looking at having to fit mudguards, I would be looking at lengthwise slitting some PVC pipe, heating it with a hot air gun and bending it to the required curve. A same size wheel might make the curving easier as would kerfing if necessary. Attachment then becomes a matter of suitable light struts to the nearest attachment point. You could also look at atomiczombie.com as a member, Emma otherwise known as Twinkle, went to some effort to explain how she made her trike mudguards.

Having said all that, it is intended that the Trio of Trikes currently under construction will have a coreflute body, rendering mudguards redundant.

Hope all this helps.

Correction - Trevor's trike only has a rear mudguard.

Join pedalradio@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.