Re: New file uploaded to pedalradio@groups.io

Kevin Crockett - VK3CKC

Edited

The best laid plans of mice and men ....

When fitting the tail and indicator LEDs it became obvious that there was quite a bit of wiring to connect. Much more than appeared at the front end of the process. To explain, there were 3 8-LED strips. Each had 2 grounds (6), 1 supply (3), 1 Data In (3), and 1 data Out (3). A total of 15 potential wires to connect and that is only for 3 lights on the rear. Although I connected the grounds (2) there were really too many others, although I continued. Haven't connected the Arduino and switch yet.

A better way, that requires considerable program code change but should be possible:

My long strips are also 30 LEDs/metre – 1 metre long and 1.8A calculated maximum current.

Run a number of controllers off the one pin. I could mount a complete strip around the back end of the trike (in this explanation), centred on the middle LEDs – physical number 15 and 16. I could have, maybe, 5 controllers off the one pin, say:

No. 1 - Controlling only physical LEDs 14, 15, 16 and 17 as a tail light – on all the time but flashing, overridden by a solid brake light.
No. 2 - Controlling only physical LEDs 11 to 13 and 18 to 20 as left and right turn indicators.
No. 3 – Controlling whatever LEDs as hazard flashers.
No. 4 – Controlling only the indicator LEDs to provide reversing lights.
No. 5 – Controlling all the LEDs in the strip as display lighting when No. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are not required.

The above would only require the installation of a single LED strip (connectors already attached). I have a few momentary action pushbutton switches that could be used with some clever logic applied to lock out that which is not required at the time, using self-latching algorhythm for the purpose. My earlier switching control was part of self-latching until I changed it. Will have to change it back again.

See? Another project suggested before the current one is finished.

Now, back to getting my afternoon's wiring connected to the Arduino. I should have working indicators and tail light until I rewrite the code.

Join pedalradio@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.