Mudguards - Plans or designs for recumbents

Andrew Excell

Bog, from my experience requires a rough surface (80-120 grit) foothold and a chemically sterile (i.e No wax, grease etc) surface to perform a good bond, but even then you have to consider your hardener ratios, humidity, temp, and material permeability, flexibility to gain better performance. even then bog under ideal conditions does not like temp variations, heat, dissimilar materials (i.e metal and plastic in the same area to be bogged), substrate surface expansion (ie. sheet metal on a hot day) and especially, shock and vibration. An alternative maybe fiberglass, resin, carbon fibre or 2pack polyurethane resins from easy cast which is like castable pvc in a way. it files, joins, flexes, and stands up to more abuse than bog. But with steel, Alu etc weld smoothing bog is still king due to these parts made by common ferrous and non ferrous materials usually are rigid non flex stable components i.e vehicle non structural sheet metal if the prep is done right that is. I've used "easy cast" (2pack polyurethane resins) before on similar pvc projects and found it vastly outperforms, compared to bog. You can by these easy cast kits from Riot art supply for approx $45 Aud or online i guess for less, these kits come in various sizes from 250mL to 1L and comprise of instructions of use and part A bottle (resin) and Part B bottle (hardener/catalyst/ accelerator). You could even buy silicone mold kits and "pour" one piece parts from scratch using easy cast a silicone mold and a clay die (original relief cast for the silicone mold). Hope this helps.

Join pedalradio@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.