please co-sign or send a letter on PDX's Shelter to Housing Continuum reforms today

Tim McCormick

Letter and easy co-sign form: http://s2hc-letter.pdxshelterforum.org/.

Bureau of Planning staff are still accepting today (they told us) emailed input on the crucial Shelter to Housing Continuum (S2HC) project, Discussion Draft. This project will set key rules for where/how shelters, villages, and Group Living (i.e. shared housing, SRO Single Room Occupancy) facilities can be sited in Portland.

We have written a community response letter, which you can co-sign or adapt, based on: public comments at Planning's three Info Sessions, an open workshop we organized Sunday Oct 25, and discussions in Shelter PDX / alternative shelters and villages coalition project. (see link from form to our open notes from all these sources).

Essentially we propose:
  1. Don't exclude shelters from all residential areas. Shelter residents are residents.
  2. Expand the allowed number of accommodations in an Outdoor Shelter / Village to what leading village providers suggest, and the time they're allowed to be there without an expensive and time-consuming "Conditional Use" permit process;
  3. Allow a full range of dwelling types in Outdoor Shelters including housing such as tiny houses or modular homes.
  4. Remove certain new proposed requirements such as per-floor kitchens in shared housing facilities;
  5. Allow vehicle dwelling on private residential property, as is currently decriminalized;
  6. Develop a flexible, city-wide permit system to manage vehicle dwelling on the scale of need.
This isn't the last chance or phase on this project. Next there will be a Planning & Sustainability Commission Hearing on S2HC scheduled for November 10, then a Proposed Draft presented by Planning staff to PSC in December or January. However, engaging sooner gives more possibility for influencing it, and we want to get issues on the table now for later discussion, also for possible consideration in later city reforms.

If you have any questions/comments please feel free to post here, or you can email me directly tmccormick@... and/or Sean Green green@..., and/or direct comments directly to S2HC Project Manager, Al Burns, A.Burns@..., which is where we'll be sending our letter updated with all new signatories.
thanks, Tim

Jan Radle Roberson

thanks, Tim!

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 10:04 AM Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:
[...]

gloria halper

hi tim, what is deadline for this co-sign form please?

thanks!

take care,
gloria
On 11/2/2020 10:03 AM, Tim McCormick wrote:

Letter and easy co-sign form: http://s2hc-letter.pdxshelterforum.org/.

Bureau of Planning staff are still accepting today (they told us) emailed input on the crucial Shelter to Housing Continuum (S2HC) project, Discussion Draft. This project will set key rules for where/how shelters, villages, and Group Living (i.e. shared housing, SRO Single Room Occupancy) facilities can be sited in Portland.

We have written a community response letter, which you can co-sign or adapt, based on: public comments at Planning's three Info Sessions, an open workshop we organized Sunday Oct 25, and discussions in Shelter PDX / alternative shelters and villages coalition project. (see link from form to our open notes from all these sources).

Essentially we propose:
  1. Don't exclude shelters from all residential areas. Shelter residents are residents.
  2. Expand the allowed number of accommodations in an Outdoor Shelter / Village to what leading village providers suggest, and the time they're allowed to be there without an expensive and time-consuming "Conditional Use" permit process;
  3. Allow a full range of dwelling types in Outdoor Shelters including housing such as tiny houses or modular homes.
  4. Remove certain new proposed requirements such as per-floor kitchens in shared housing facilities;
  5. Allow vehicle dwelling on private residential property, as is currently decriminalized;
  6. Develop a flexible, city-wide permit system to manage vehicle dwelling on the scale of need.
This isn't the last chance or phase on this project. Next there will be a Planning & Sustainability Commission Hearing on S2HC scheduled for November 10, then a Proposed Draft presented by Planning staff to PSC in December or January. However, engaging sooner gives more possibility for influencing it, and we want to get issues on the table now for later discussion, also for possible consideration in later city reforms.

If you have any questions/comments please feel free to post here, or you can email me directly tmccormick@... and/or Sean Green green@..., and/or direct comments directly to S2HC Project Manager, Al Burns, A.Burns@..., which is where we'll be sending our letter updated with all new signatories.
thanks, Tim

> what is deadline for this co-sign form please?

I'd say, 5pm, then Sean & I can amend the PDF letter with any new signatories and send it in.

That's best but that said, if you absolutely couldn't get to it today, it's still worth doing tomorrow or a later day. We'll keep adding any new co-signers and periodically re-post and send in a new version to Planning. Also we encourage you to consider the points and add your own concerns/suggestions. There's no rule against sending input to the designated project manager of a city project anytime; it's just that in some cases it won't count as official testimony -- moot here, because these are just comments on a Discussion Draft -- or won't get publicly displayed on the MapApp city engagement site because it's outside the testimony window they set.
thanks, Tim.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 10:15 AM gloria halper <losninos6@...> wrote:

[...]

Keith Wilson

Tim & Sean,

Thanks for including the Open Space recommendation, 1.1.3. I added the following on a comment to my signature.

“Currently, Community Centers are coded Open Spaces, OS, and Mass Shelter Prohibited. Portland is using these resources as Mass Shelters. Please change the designation for Community Centers to Mass Shelter available (remove prohibited designation).” 33.285.050 does not list OS as an available zone for Mass Shelters.

Can you add or would you advise I send my own comment. I would prefer to wrap into pdxshelterforum but happy to go any direction that you advise.

Keith

> [...]

  6. Develop a flexible, city-wide permit system to manage vehicle dwelling on the scale of need.

This isn't the last chance or phase on this project. Next there will be a Planning & Sustainability Commission Hearing on S2HC scheduled for November 10, then a Proposed Draft presented by Planning staff to PSC in December or January. However, engaging sooner gives more possibility for influencing it, and we want to get issues on the table now for later discussion, also for possible consideration in later city reforms.

If you have any questions/comments please feel free to post here, or you can email me directly tmccormick@... and/or Sean Green green@..., and/or direct comments directly to S2HC Project Manager, Al Burns, A.Burns@..., which is where we'll be sending our letter updated with all new signatories.

Hi Keith,
great point. Seems like the city should generally not be prohibiting shelters in places where they're currently operating them! (though prohibiting current uses is, sadly, what zoning has often done in the last century as it steadily restricted what were typical & traditional practices. Making it quite common in the US for current land uses to not meet meet current zoning, known as "nonconforming use").

I would suggest co-signing the shared letter, and also emailing Planning directly with your additional comment. You could perhaps attach the PDF of general letter to yours, and say you endorse those and also have another point to add.

We will also put this on deck to add to next rounds of community suggestions, i.e. in written and spoken testimony at upcoming Planning & Sustainability Commission meetings.
thanks, Tim

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 1:18 PM Keith Wilson <keithwilson@...> wrote:

> [...]

  6. Develop a flexible, city-wide permit system to manage vehicle dwelling on the scale of need.

This isn't the last chance or phase on this project. Next there will be a Planning & Sustainability Commission Hearing on S2HC scheduled for November 10, then a Proposed Draft presented by Planning staff to PSC in December or January. However, engaging sooner gives more possibility for influencing it, and we want to get issues on the table now for later discussion, also for possible consideration in later city reforms.

If you have any questions/comments please feel free to post here, or you can email me directly tmccormick@... and/or Sean Green green@..., and/or direct comments directly to S2HC Project Manager, Al Burns, A.Burns@..., which is where we'll be sending our letter updated with all new signatories.

Thank you so much for the comments. I will follow each of your suggestions. I co-signed the shared letter and will send an email to Planning tomorrow. Very much appreciate the efforts that you, Sean and the group have provided.