NYT Opinion: It’s Hard to Have Faith in a State That Can’t Even House Its People

Tim McCormick

Today in NYT Opinion, an analysis of & prescription for homelessness from Ned Resnikoff, journalist now policy manager at UCSF BHHI. I find it unfortunately oversimple and conventional in outlook.

If weak democracy & racism explains homelessness, why is it highest in NY, CA, MA, lowest in Deep South? Why would the wealthiest places and people let housing 'supply' greatly drop home values & their wealth, and when/where in the US are communities going to broadly give to anyone in need, no strings attached, conventional middle-class housing?

Also, how do you address a huge humanitaritian disaster situation, homelessness, with regular housing development, while opposing anything considered 'shelter', as this op-ed and most of the homelessness esrablishment currently does. This has been dominant expert opinion & policy for 15+ years, how well is it working? Let's have the houseless lead us.

I have proposed a  #WeHouseLA contest and forum, modeled partly on the recent Low Rise LA initiative, but, houseless-led & judged, for rapid homelessness responses, possibly to offer action paths in the epochal #LAAllianceVCityofLA court case. eg w/USC Academy in the Public Square initiative, USC Price Center for Social Innovation, and it's sub-program the Homelessness Policy Research Institute (with all of which I've been lately discussing possible collaborations). https://twitter.com/tmccormick/status/1403826362805227520?s=21