From: pdxshelterforum@groups.io [mailto:pdxshelterforum@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Krauel
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2021 11:15 AM
To: pdxshelterforum@groups.io; Celeste Duvall <celeste.duvall@...>; Destinee Sanchez <destinee.sanchez@...>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [pdxshelterforum] review, suggest, endorse Shelter to Housing Continuum draft testimony letter, to submit tomorrow

Caution: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. If you suspect this email is phishing, use the Report Phishing button on your toolbar to report it.

Hi All,

Was doing a Forest Park hike last night and had an idea.   I tend to dream big so bare with me.

The dream: Starting a new organization called Houseless Hikers of Portland.

Work with various local businesses and  municipalities to facilitate

periodic hikes to Forest Park on the west side and Oaks Bottom or Powell Butte on the east side.

I know folks at Nike and Columbia Sportswear that would be willing to provide footwear and the dream would be

to get the county/city involved to help provide transportation.  MeetUp has dozens of local hiking groups and I'm sure we

could find hike leaders to head the expeditions.

Throughout time, All of the great spiritual leaders have advocated for spending time in nature and this program would

provide very inexpensive therapy for our houseless neighbors.  ( Poignant Link:  https://tinyurl.com/3ukkprxb )

Blessings to all,

Jim Krauel

Operation Nightwatch

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:15 PM Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:

ok, S2HC community testimony letter and form is READY, after incorporating many edits and suggestions. Please check it out, share, co-sign if you are in general agreement, and/or adapt for your own separate/additional letter: http://s2hc-letter.pdxshelterforum.org

From recent input and from reading the online testimony, we have added points including:
1) addressing concerns about shelters in park and natural/sensitive outdoor areas,

2) calling for geographic balance and all neighborhoods' participation in shelter/village site selection.

3) waiving fees for new shelter applications.

thank you to all the many, many people who've collaborated on this along a long road earlier and quite a sprint today. We'll see what happens tomorrow at 2pm hearing and after -- change, for sure.
Tim

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 9:22 PM Tim McCormick via groups.io <tmccormick=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

awesome, thank you Andy, I have incorporated those edits/corrections.
almost there!

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 9:08 PM Andy Harris <andyharrismd@...> wrote:

Tim,

This review and suggestions are very helpful.  You have probably already caught these typos, but if not, in the letter to mayor and council, under “Our recommendations”:

2) line 4 should read “at least”

3) line 3 should read “all kinds”

4) par 4, line 4 should read “include”

9) line 4 should read “reasonably”

Thanks very much for all your work on this project.

Andy Harris

From: <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> on behalf of Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 1:43 PM
To: <pdxshelterforum@groups.io>

We have drafted a Shelter for Forum Continuum project (S2HC) shared testimony letter / talking points: it's in the ongoing, now epic length doc, s2hc.pdxshelterforum.org, section near top "Testimony letter / talking points draft":
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EP0i3gf3aJljkjrKCC-FrnYmq2MAqHAnYVH_zHP8Cuk/edit#heading=h.48zbbolu27sp.

Please have a look and post any suggested changes or additions to the list, or as comment on the document, or to me or Sean green@... directly. You can also indicate if you'd like to cosign, i.e endorse.

After incorporating feedback, we plan to make a PDF version and a co-sign form, which makes it easy to share or co-sign (and/or adapt to submit your own testimony letter, which is fine and encouraged, especially if you mention PDX Shelter Forum as source).

A few hours before the Weds 2pm testimony deadline and Council meeting, I will add all form-cosigned names to the PDF, and then officially submit this PDF as PDX Shelter Forum's testimony. Also, especially since the online testimony tool has been flooded by semi-automated-looking one-note posts, we will probably send the letter directly to the Mayor & Councilmembers, and key city staff.
thanks everyone for all the help & input!
Tim.

Robert Lloyd

Very well stated!  Thank you.  More important than the activity is the opportunity to build relationship.

Major Bob Lloyd

Portland Metro Coordinator

Personal Pronouns:

He/Him/His (What’s This? Click here)

The Salvation Army – Cascade Division

8495 SE Monterey Avenue

Happy Valley, OR 97086

P: 503.794.3291

portland.salvationarmy.org

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s).  Please immediately notify the sender at 503.794.3292 if you received it in error and delete this message and any attachment(s) from your system.  Thank you.

I would encourage y’all, (as I know you will because you rock), to ask folks what is helpful for them. I know some folks I work with spend their entire days “hiking” for survival, so the thought of more hiking does not sound appealing. However, I know Nightwatch has a long history of doing outings, and folks loved those! Particularly beach trips. (Of course also don’t want to paint too broad a stroke, I know there are plenty of folks who would love to hike also—just wanted to highlight importance of asking community what they would want.)

Love to all.

Mikaila

From: <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> on behalf of Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 1:43 PM
To: <pdxshelterforum@groups.io>

[...]

Anna Kemper

Hi all, Jim I appreciate that idea, and Mikaila I really appreciate that perspective. It’s definitely not a one-size-fits all idea. However, if there is enough interest, I’m on the board at Oregon Walks and we’re trying to get some organized monthly themed walks happening, as a means of community connection and to bring awareness to different causes. I would be happy to help merge these ideas if there is interest!

Cheers-

Anna

From: <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> on behalf of Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 1:43 PM
To: <pdxshelterforum@groups.io>

[...]

Thanks Anna.  In working directly with houseless folks, I've learned that they share the same excitement as housed folks when they have
something to look forward to.  Thus, I know that a monthly get-together to take a walk in the woods would more than pay for itself in terms of healing and hope.

I'm sure Salvation Army would be more than willing to provide sack lunches, and I've already reached out to Columbia Sportswear to gauge their interest in being part of such an endeavor.

Lots of hurdles to clear for sure, but this could be the rare win/win/win situation for the city, the houseless advocates and the houseless people living in our midst.

From: <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> on behalf of Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 1:43 PM
To: <pdxshelterforum@groups.io>

[...]

Emerson This

Hi,
My name is Emerson. I'm an avid reader of this forum but I don't often post. I love the spirit of Jim's idea, but I had a similar first initial reaction as Mikaila. Most of the houseless folks I interact with live in constant fear of their possessions getting stolen, so they're reluctant to step away from their campsite for more than a minute or two. And even then, they're stressed out about it. I'm not saying this to discourage the idea of taking folks hiking. I'm just adding this factor as another likely challenge.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the theft problem is something I've been thinking about a LOT lately because it seems to be a hugely oppressive factor because it prevents mobility and access to resources. If you can't leave your site for a moment, you can't access services to do anything to better your situation. I wonder if folks have any out-of-the box ideas for how to address this issue? I see this as a foundational issue that, if somehow addressed, might open lots of doors to other initiatives (like Jim's hiking idea and more). For example, recently I've been thinking about some kind of portable locker(s) or wagon(s) that would be easy to move but could be locked to a bike rack or something to keep possessions safe while unattended. Or maybe even something as simple as a network of trusted volunteers who can be called on to just hang out and keep an eye on someone's camp while they go to a doctor appointment, or cash a check.

Long overdue thanks to everyone who participates in these conversations.
Emerson

From: <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> on behalf of Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 1:43 PM
To: <pdxshelterforum@groups.io>

[...]

Thanks Emerson.  Love your name by the way, as Emerson is one of my spiritual heroes who had lots of great comments about nature.

Theft is part of life on the streets that we all combat daily.  We just hope that the groups we serve continue to take turns watching each other's belongings while their peers attend to individual affairs. This will continue to be the case whether or not our houseless neighbors go to gather cans, visit the grocery store or take a walk in the woods.

Emerson Quotes on Healing Powers of Nature:  https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/3460613-nature