Article: Shipping containers used to build LA housing complex for the homeless

Angie Gilbert

American firms NAC Architecture and Bernards have used shipping containers to form private apartments in a Los Angeles facility for people experiencing homelessness. The Hilda L Solis Care First …

View the article.
https://flip.it/7zF968

View the article + more on Flipboard.
https://flip.it/lfCXMO

Find your favorite topics on Flipboard. Download here.
https://flip.it/q2c-.t

Charlotte

has anyone calculated the cost per unit here.

--
At the moment of commitment the entire universe conspires to assist you. Whatever you can do or dream you can do begin it now. Boldness has genius, magic and power in it. Goethe
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.  To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”  Buckminster Fuller

Charlotte 001  787-366-9344, 541 579 8607

Tim McCormick

about this project Hilda Solis First Care Village, LA, I and an interesting group are presently discussing on Twitter, please see thread at:
Particularly I'd like to invite views of anyone currently or formerly or near houseless, or who has lived in housing alternatives such as 'microunits' or trailers. We have activist @homeless_new (NYC) on and I've copied a number of other houseless folk I know of.

I'm in Bay Area currently and likely to go to LA this month, Solis Care Village is one place I'd particularly like to visit, among the many field-research places of great interest in area.

----
Mark Hogan @markasaurus wrote:
"Using the numbers in the article this container project cost almost $900/SF to build and people are living in rooms only slightly wider than the length of a bed"

Tim McCormick @tmccormick wrote (replying):
"remarkable Hilda L Solis Care First Village for houseless, 232 apts + services bldg, $48M = $207k/apt, on public parking lot, done in 5 mos.
Architects: @NACLosAngeles; builders @BernardsBrosInc  @VESTAmodular.
c/@HildaSolis #SolisCareFirstVillage #HSCFV"

[...]