Article: Four Homeless People Sue Portland to Block Camp Sweeps

Elise Aymer

I thought this Willamette Week article, authored by Sophie Peel, was relevant to what we've been discussing:

Excerpts: "Four unhoused people filed a class action lawsuit against the city of Portland on Monday, asking a judge to block implementation of the city’s newly released guidelines for camp sweeps."

"The plaintiffs allege the city has failed to follow Oregon laws for seizing and storing personal belongings during sweeps."

"The lawsuit, filed by Portland attorneys Michael Fuller, Juan Chavez of the Oregon Justice Resource Center and Kelly Donovan Jones, makes it clear that the suit doesn’t aim to change standing laws surrounding sweeps; rather, it asks the city to comply with state laws that are already in place."

Full article here:

David Dickson

Would it be a better strategy for advocates of people experiencing houselessness in Portland to put together a class action lawsuit against the city and county, requiring unhoused people to be provided shelter?  This is happening in Los Angeles and seems to be a more humanitarian solution than to simply guarantee the right of people to live in unsafe and unsanitary conditions on the street.  An excerpt from the LA Times article…

The ruling argues that L.A. city and county wrongly focused on permanent housing at the expense of more temporary shelter, “knowing that massive development delays were likely while people died in the streets.” That element of the order underscores the judge’s skepticism of a core part of L.A.'s current strategy to tackle homelessness.

Newsletter

Show Comments

On May 25, 2021, at 11:49 AM, Elise Aymer <elise@...> wrote:

I thought this Willamette Week article, authored by Sophie Peel, was relevant to what we've been discussing:

Excerpts: "Four unhoused people filed a class action lawsuit against the city of Portland on Monday, asking a judge to block implementation of the city’s newly released guidelines for camp sweeps."

"The plaintiffs allege the city has failed to follow Oregon laws for seizing and storing personal belongings during sweeps."

"The lawsuit, filed by Portland attorneys Michael Fuller, Juan Chavez of the Oregon Justice Resource Center and Kelly Donovan Jones, makes it clear that the suit doesn’t aim to change standing laws surrounding sweeps; rather, it asks the city to comply with state laws that are already in place."

Full article here:

Emerson This

Picking up on what David said...

It’s interesting to compare the ongoing apathy towards houselessness with the response after the wildfires last year. Shelters went up immediately. Food and supplies poured in. It was great to see, but also painful because I kept asking myself why these particular unhoused people were being treated SO differently than the thousands of people who were already unhoused, and usually even more desperate...

What if the governmental response after the fire was: “good luck crapping in the bushes under leaky tarps for YEARS while we bicker about permanent housing solutions.”

On May 25, 2021, at 1:50 PM, David Dickson <dicksondavidk@...> wrote:

[...]

Aisha Musa

Emerson,
The problem is that the housed community sees that they could be victims of wildfires and so empathized with those people. They do not empathize with other unhoused because they see them as to blame for their situation.

Dr. Aisha Y. Musa
AYM Education and Consulting, LLC

Emerson This

@Dr Aisha: Yup that’s exactly right. As a society we’ve decided that certain people deserve to be unhoused. And it’s very apparent when contrasted with the compassion that emerges when the “wrong” people are unhoused.

So to David’s point... even though we can explain the psychology, that doesn’t necessarily make it defensible, legally. I wonder if a lawsuit like David imagined could leverage the disparity in those responses.

On May 25, 2021, at 5:29 PM, Aisha Musa <draymusa@...> wrote:

Emerson,
The problem is that the housed community sees that they could be victims of wildfires and so empathized with those people. They do not empathize with other unhoused because they see them as to blame for their situation.

Dr. Aisha Y. Musa
AYM Education and Consulting, LLC

Aisha Musa

I have no idea how we can sway the thinking of large swaths of people. I am just working on doing what I can in my neighborhood and that is an uphill battle.