Alternative Shelter & Village Forum: Lessons from Seattle

Sean Green

We are excited to announce a very special forum next week with special guests from one of the largest providers of tiny house village shelters in the nation. This will be a great opportunity to transfer knowledge to better our community.

PDX Shelter Forum - Learning from Seattle Flier 1.png

Alternative Shelter & Village Forum: Lessons from Seattle

Wednesday, October 14th, 10:00am-noon

Register here (even if you are not able to attend, you can register and have a link to the video emailed to you after the event)

About the Low Income Housing Institute

The Low Income Housing Institute (LIHI) is one of the largest providers of tiny house village shelters in the nation, ensuring that people’s experience in homelessness is as safe, dignified, and brief as possible. LIHI operates 12 tiny house villages in Seattle, Olympia, and Tacoma sheltering over 1,000 homeless individuals each year.

Villages offer a safe and dignified place for those living outside. Each house is 8 by 12 feet, costs about $2,700, and has insulation, electricity, heat, windows, and a lockable door. The villages include plumbed on-site facilities with showers, toilets, laundry, and a community kitchen. Each village includes on-site case management staff to help residents obtain housing, employment, and other social services. Some villages are staffed 24/7 while others only have paid staff onsite weekdays (during the day).

In February, the Seattle City Council voted to amend the original permitted encampment ordinance–passed in 2015–to allow the continuation of the existing tiny house villages that would have otherwise sunset and permit up to 40 sites which could include tiny house villages, tent encampments, and safe parking to be authorized throughout the city.

LIHI also operates three Urban Rest Stop (URS) that provide a safe, clean place for houseless women and men to use restrooms, take showers, and do their laundry. They served 10,000 unduplicated individuals in 2019.

Forum Program

The first 90 minutes of the forum will be a conversation with:

  • Andrew Constantino, Site Manager/Community Organizer (and former resident) at Georgetown Tiny House Village, LIHI

  • Bradford Gerber, Tiny House Special Projects Manager, LIHI

From 11:30- 12:00 noon, we will discuss potential next steps for forming a coalition/network that will work to build on and increase the number of alternative shelters and villages NOW in our region. We will review a draft goal, developed by a diverse planning team, and also proposed critical actions for the upcoming 3-6 months.

The draft goal for you to consider in preparation for this meeting is:

DRAFT Goal

Through collaborative community action we will increase and/or expand villages NOW to ensure a safe and decent place for everyone to rest, secure their belongings, and find community.

We will:

  • Center on the needs and voices of those with lived experience

  • Improve both the quantity and quality of villages

  • Support an evolution towards self-determination for both the sites and their individual residents

PDX Shelter Forum - Learning from Seattle Flier 2.png

--
SEAN GREEN
Founder & COO, Aforma

c 971.998.7376 IG:

@AFORMACO

Tim McCormick

The "Lessons from Seattle" forum yesterday went excellently, with about 75 participants, really sharp insights from Low Income Housing Institute (LIHI)'s Andrew Constantino & Bradford Gerber, and good questions & discussion.

Event video is available now on the PDX Shelter Forum YouTube channel (by the way, do Subscribe to the channel and share video, this helps build audience and get the channel certified for live-streaming etc).

Notes, Chat transcript (many good Qs & links), Information, Resources, Questions document available at: forum2.pdxshelterforum.org. You can add notes, links, comments there also if you wish. We are gathering related materials mentioned and sent by LIHI, as part of a wider resource library to go possibly at PDXshelterforum.org and/or the wiki.villagecollaborative.net

thank you to all participants, guests, organizers for a truly helpful and interesting event.
Tim

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 11:59 AM Sean Green <green@...> wrote:
Hope everyone is having a good week. I'm sending a reminder about our special event tomorrow with the Low Income Housing Institute. Even if you are not able to attend, you can sign up and have a link to the video emailed to you after the event. Best, Sean

[...]

From 11:30- 12:00 noon, we will discuss potential next steps for forming a coalition/network that will work to build on and increase the number of alternative shelters and villages NOW in our region. We will review a draft goal, developed by a diverse planning team, and also proposed critical actions for the upcoming 3-6 months.

[...]

It was great to hear from Andrew and Bradford of the Low Income Housing Institute (LIHI) on the evolution of tiny house villages in the Seattle/Greater Puget Sound area that are currently sheltering over 1,000 people per year.

Our community was able to hear some of the lessons LIHI has learned over the last five years as they have transformed from operating a single sanctioned tent camp to 11 tiny house villages in three cities. We were fortunate to have Andrew share his perspective as someone with lived experience.

The perspective brought by LIHI as a long-time low-income housing developer/operator and as an operator of three Urban Rest Stops was wonderful.

I would like to thank Carol Turner for moderating the second portion of the event and helping to plan it along with Amy Carolson. I would also like to give a special thanks to Tim McCormick for helping to make the event a success not least of all by contributing technical and organizational skills and his vast knowledge on history/policy of shelter and issues affecting unsheltered communities.

Feel free to send feedback directly at green@.... We look forward to continuing to work together to support our unsheltered community.

Best,
Sean