Low-cost Spaceframe Housing Concept Proposal

Skip Trantow

Hello All,

I have been closely following the progression of the homeless situation in Portland for some time. I understand this is a complex and difficult situation and do not fault anyone at the Joint Office of Homeless Services or other housing agencies.  There is certainly good work being done, yet I also think there is room for evolving the approach to finding solutions.

As a retired software engineer, as a hands-on person who has built and/or remodeled several of my own homes and understands all aspects of construction (e.g., structural, electrical, plumbing), and as a life-long student of Geometry (per http://omnigarten.org), it is painful to see Portland devote huge sums of money to large capital low-income apartment projects that seem to house a relatively small number of people for the level of investment.  The problem is outpacing that approach. The recent adoption of the S2HC package that allows more modes of housing is progress. Yet, we ultimately need to get to where permanent tiny-home villages are normal and abundant throughout the urban area. That is the gist of my proposal, Low-Cost Spaceframe Housing Concept, found at http://spaceframe.housing.wiki/ , I hope this forum can discuss.  I would like to see Portland’s JOHS do a feasibility study on this concept, and ideally, fund a small proof-of-concept project.  If that works out, go full-steam ahead and fund full-scale projects.

The proposal builds on the work of architect Peter Pearce whom I met several years ago when he talked about the design of his Spaceframe EcoHouse. I have since devoured his books on design.  Peter is an immense talent who brings a different way of thinking about physical structure and how the theoretical can be formed into practical solutions.  I believe Portland would be wise to harness Peter’s thinking.

To paraphrase Albert Einstein who stated: We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

As I see it: We cannot solve our housing problem relying solely on the same construction methodologies that contributed to the dearth of truly affordable housing in the first place.

Regards,

Skip Trantow

Portland

Aisha Musa

Dear Skip,
Thank you for sharing this. However, I see that you are missing what is ALWAYS missing from these kinds of plans and that is any consideration of disabled people. There are wheelchair users living in tents on the sidewalks who cannot move to safer alternatives because the alternatives were constructed WITHOUT ANY thought given to accessibility. The ADA was passed more than 30 years ago (after decades of protests by the disabled community) and planning still excludes any consideration of accessibility ALL. THE. TIME.

Dr. Aisha Y. Musa
AYM Education and Consulting, LLC

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 7:28 PM Skip Trantow <skiptrantow@...> wrote:

[...]

Emerson This

@Skip This is my understanding of the idea: build tiny home villages on top of space-truss platforms. I hear a lot of people advocate for the idea of tiny homes as an interim solution. But it's already been very difficult to get those established on empty lots and sites that already exist. How would these ever get done if someone has to build a space-truss first?
—Emerson

[...]

Keith Wilson

Skip, I applaud you. I certainly have my ideas but the scale is so vast and our neighbors are passing away at our feet that we simply need all of the above. There is no wrong door. Thanks.

Keith Wilson

TITAN Freight Systems
503-849-0713

[...]

Hi Aisha,
Yes, if we look at 'raised' platforms, then there is an ADA accessibility problem as these would need a stairway.  However, I think the sweet spot for siting platforms would be over sloped property that is near a road or pedestrian pathway.  In this case you basically protrude a platform out from the road and connect the two with a flat walkway, similar to what is shown in the Pearce Ecohouse design.  Here, you would thus have flat access all the way to the living hut.
/Skip

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 7:40 PM Aisha Musa <draymusa@...> wrote:
[...]

Emerson,
I think you've stated the exact problem. Trying to site a tiny village on a nice flat urban lot will face two pressures: 1) Developers will pay a premium price for it and build market-rate housing on it for a decent profit.  A tiny-village can't compete with that investment return. 2) The nice flat urban lot will likely also have many nearby households who may not want a tiny-village there, as it risks decreasing the house values in the neighborhood, i.e., the NIMBY pressure.

That said, I think the flexibility of spaceframe solutions allows us to utilize the 'un-nice' 'junky' spaces that would be cheap to procure, no developer using conventional building methods could pencil out a project on it, and would probably be less prone to NIMBY pressure.

That's my 2c anyway.
/Skip

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 8:09 PM Emerson This <emersonthis@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes. This is why affordable housing is so often built near such things as sewage treatment plants, railroad tracks, and toxic waste repositories. God forbid that undesirables like the poor have housing in "nice" spaces. Beggars, after all, dare not be choosers.

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 11:46 AM Skip Trantow <skiptrantow@...> wrote:
[...]

I should have not been so loose with my adjectives.  I was describing from the perspective of construction, where a flat level lot is the easiest and least expensive to build on, and will command a premium price. The gist here is that JOHS (or other concerns) need to broaden their construction options to be able to construct 'villages' on more types of terrain, not just the flat and level.  There are likely many 'difficult to build on' locations that are not unhealthy or dangerous, some may even offer nice views.  Site selection is separate from construction methodology.

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 1:09 PM Aisha Musa <draymusa@...> wrote:
[...]

Tom Hickey <hickeyt@...>

What seems missing from this conversation is that the cost of land does not seem to be deciding obstacle for government participation in alternative shelter, but the cost of liability. Every discussion we have about government support for projects grinds to a halt over insurance costs. That’s why city projects are so expensive.

Tom Hickey

On May 3, 2021, at 2:34 PM, Skip Trantow <skiptrantow@...> wrote:

[...]

Sampath Reddy

Skip,

Great thoughts. Loved the innovative thinking.
I'm thinking of a tree house , this would be like a a gigantic tree house experiment types. Would be fun though.
The challenge could be sourcing services like water, plumbing et al.. solveable though.

I think we need more tiny experiments and showcase successes.

I'm from Bangalore India and almost all houses here have flat rooftops. Incremental self build housing is a norm.

Most people partly use the flat terraces for drying cloths, chillies et al. Houses here don't have backyards because of the high population density here. But have flat rooftops. Rooftops are akin to backyards in the US.

I liked the terms you used. Creating 'Artificial Land', 'Space Harvesting' and Urban Development Innovation.

I've been eying rooftops to add distributed micro housing units to provide affordable rental housing to migrants and providing livelihood to small house owners in the sub urbs where permitting is relatively easy compared to core urban areas and incremental housing is a norm.

Also liked and had thought of the idea before of creating a raised platform deck above slum huts to add additional housing using the vertical space above.

I use modular industrial shelving frames aka slotted angle iron frames to build modular structures.

Check out some inspiration for my work from Dexion founder of slotted angles and some of my projects below.

My Projects :

My Social  handle:

Thank you for the continued inspiration.

Best
Sampath Reddy

On Mon, 3 May, 2021, 10:06 Keith Wilson, <keithwilson@...> wrote:
[...]

Sampath,

Thanks for sharing your work – it’s very inspirational!   Enabling people to get into their own houses, no matter how small and modest, is, I think, a key aspect.  Our own house is something we take pride in, maintain and personalize, and this is what creates a safe caring neighborhood.  And thanks for the info on the ‘Dexion’ house.  A ‘kit of parts’ that the owner can self-assemble with simple tools.  Very cool!

/Skip

DSI Spaceframes,  a company in Illinois that designs, builds and installs spaceframe structures: https://dsispaceframes.com/project/