COVID Cleanups/Sweeps

Sean Green

I think it is important to hear from folks with lived experience. The response to impending COVID cleanups/sweeps from this member of our community is powerful. This person echos many of the sentiments I have heard from other folks who are just looking for a place to live where they won’t be forced to leave.

Tim McCormick

Sarah Iannarone wrote about this on Twitter this evening, see thread
https://twitter.com/sarahforpdx/status/1287575962956095489, copied below with my comments on thread also:

sarah iannarone (she/her) @sarahforpdx - 7:20 PM · Jul 26, 2020

non-#portlandprotest call to action thread

On top of COVID-19 and a triple-digit heatwave, incumbent Mayor Ted Wheeler has decided this is the week to evict an encampment of unhoused Portlanders in St. Johns, dismantling and displacing a community of 75 or so residents.
Image

"For several years, Portland City Hall policy would be to uproot this camp as soon as it grew beyond a few people and scatter its residents to other places. But the city suspended such sweeps the first week of March, because of the COVID-19 pandemic."

Today, we're in a similar position as 4 mos ago when Gov Brown issued the first stay-at-home order, but
@rachelamonahan reports City Hall's resuming sweeps saying they're "necessary for public health."

Gah! It's housing that's necessary for public health.
https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/07/07/portland-to-resume-homeless-camp-sweeps/

The community is asking for help. They filmed this message to and . Not only should they NOT be swept this week, they need immediate help. #SleepNotSweeps #NoDisplacementWithoutReplacement

Their specific ask: MONDAY 7/27/2020, Noon-2PM
Cup with straw
Deliver COVID supplies (masks, sanitizer), heat-stable food, and WATER WATER WATER.
Wastebasket
Volunteer to help bag up refuse, and generally tidy up in support of this community.
Squared sos
Help wherever you can.

https://www.streetroots.org/news/2020/07/25/houseless-face-imminent-heat-wave-fewer-resources

Please boost in St. Johns especially, post on FB or your other networks:
@ambrown @Reed_PDX @_RitaMoore @PaulRippey@mrlloydeo @ToolsyFielder @josambo @hrippey @TrevorSamRob @MimiGPDX @llake13 @Gus_Kroll @ThornCoyle @pdxlawgrrrl @StreetRoots @colemerkel @mkaiasand @JulesBoykoff

Replying to @sarahforpdx

it's clear the city/county does not, as for years, see a credible threat or alternative to sweeps & just moving people along. What might be?
a) is it plausible to human-wall off posted camp in time to block sweepers, so they delay it or have to force/arrest people?

Protest wall, or just completely solid wall of people merely enjoying the park/trailway?
Could targeted unhoused settlements be defended as extension sites of #PortlandProtest? What tracking / advance notice of sweepers might be achieved?  2/n

At sweep, how large a media spectacle could be created? could every affected person be followed up with to see what shelter is offered, taken? & how any on-site shelter, belongings, get handled? Also, can it be named to help it be defended, eg #PeninsulaVillage #PCTvillage? 3/n

Legal: how might " public safety" rationale be challenged, eg by ensuring good practices at camps? 2nd, recent  #BlakevGrantsPass ruling may help build case vs PDX structures ban, the other key sweeps basis. Design/find a test case? 4/n

That's threat side; at same time, how are plausible alternatives built, eg citywide, scale-of-need, rights-assured, self-determining villages? Many are working on this, at  @pdxshelterforum we're trying to make it & Qs above an open, collaborative effort+coalition; u r invited 5/5

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 9:22 PM Sean Green <green@...> wrote:
I think it is important to hear from folks with lived experience. The response to impending COVID cleanups/sweeps from this member of our community is powerful. This person echos many of the sentiments I have heard from other folks who are just looking for a place to live where they won’t be forced to leave.

Jeff Liddicoat

Really? Necessary for public health? Covid 19 is still in full swing and the CDC says let people shelter in place, that sweeps of the homeless should not happen, that it is the sweeps that are a threat to the homeless and the public. At the start of the pandemic Wheeler’s One Point of Contact complied with that CDC directive. What has changed? Not a thing. They don’t give a shit about human beings other than themselves and their own class allies. I don’t like the property destruction at the current protests but all some people care about is property and for some it’s the only way to make them consider that lives other than their own matter.
     Destroying property isn’t even in the same category as violence against living breathing people. And make no mistake about it sweeps are violent. Sweeps destroy lives. Sweeps kill. The CDC knows it. The mayor knows it. We all know it.
     And now adding insult to injury the city’s new number one criteria for initiating a sweep is ‘where there are 8 or more tents. I’ve already watched people collapse a tent and double up in a single tent to keep the area below the 8 tent threshold for a sweep. Forcing people to double and triple up in small enclosed tents during a pandemic is not just I’ll advised it’s premeditated negligent homicide. Homeless people will be infected and will die at a higher rate because of the restart of sweeps. One way or the other they will take a few non homeless citizens with them.

On Jul 26, 2020, at 10:51 PM, Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:

[...]

Trena Sutton

 As much as I adore Sarah she has been misinformed. This is not a sweep it is cleaning up of garbage only. I went right to the source and found out this is not accurate.

 All I ask is that people be fair and their judgment.  Without facts you cannot come to a logical conclusion about any person or any action. Several years ago I  got into the face of the owner of rapid response.  I found out back some of the campers on the Springwater we’re not accurate  and what they were saying to me and other advocates, not accurate at all. This is a cleanup and I suggested to the advocates that they talk to the people and have their garbage deposited in one dedicated area away from the tents and off of common areas that people may walk in. This is a safety  issue for both the people utilizing the area  which includes the campers.

 I know Lance ( Who owns Rapid Response).  I’ve had he and his wife in my home for dinner. He has done a great deal for the homeless but he’s humble and has not taken credit for this.  When I’m told by UGM’s Search and Rescue  that they are running low on supplies they contact me and I contact Lance and he always provides them and much more. He may be disenchanted that I am posting this but I believe in Fair play.  That’s just one of the kindnesses he has done for the disenfranchised. It’s absolutely appropriate to have concerns but I would ask people to also be certain of their facts.  City Hall makes the decision to sweep or just remove the garbage and today it’s just to remove garbage and biohazards if indicated.

God Bless All,

Trena

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 10:51 PM Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:
[...]

Trena - Thank you for the information. If the noticed action is only to remove garbage, it seems we need to do a better job informing those people who are living in these areas. The notice says:

This campsite has been determined to be a public health and safety hazard by the City of Portland and will be posted for personal property removal unless the following criteria are met:
3. Limit campsites to fewer than 8 structures.

The person in the video was under the impression they were going to be forced to relocate and it appears they had experienced that process before. I was under the impression that sites with more than 8 tents/structures would be broken up as well. For someone who has experienced being forced to relocate before, and who sees a notice with similar language, how is one supposed to know if they will be forced to relocate or if someone is just going to come by to clean up garbage? There is trauma associated with living in fear that you may be forced to move at any time, with little notice. Moving is stressful for everyone, but especially when you have no place to go.

--
SEAN GREEN
Founder & COO, Aforma

c 971.998.7376 IG:

@AFORMACO

Jeff Liddicoat

Remember the Saturday Night Live parody of the CBS program which had debates between James J Kilpatrick and Jane Alexander. In the SNL version the Kilpatrick character always led in with ‘Jane you ignorant slut...’
I just frankly don’t know where to begin in listing the problems with Trena’s oh so proper (not) observations. So I won’t. I’ll leave it at
Trena....

[...]

Sorry about that I sometimes get carried away with my attempts to be funny. I apologize if offense was taken. And I’ll just say this, “I too would probably have one dinner with your Rapid Response buddy. But I promise you I’d never praise him somewhere that actual homeless people might read or hear that praise.
God god woman the man makes a ton of money inflicting all manner of harm on the homeless. I’d say he needs to put all his income into Gospel Union Mission, but I won’t say that because they suck too.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 11:12 AM Jeff Liddicoat via groups.io <outsideartsale=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Good Morning,

I seen that before and it is a generic posting but I do agree that they should reword it. I believe they are trying to encourage the people to keep the site clean. I’ve been doing this for many, many years and I have seen the slobs hurt the rest of the people who are just trying to survive. I’ve seen garbage piled up right outside of Tan I seen that before and it is a generic posting but I do agree that they should reword it. I believe they are trying to encourage the people to keep the sites clean. I’ve been doing this for many, many years and I have seen the slobs hurt the rest of the people who are just trying to survive. I’ve seen garbage piled up right outside of tents  with cockroaches and even a rat or two crawling on top of the massive piles. It was other campers who first complain to me many years back and we destroyed the red garbage bags for everyone. Most of the campers put their garbage in the bags and sealed them but the slobs  piled garbage right on top of them which was nothing but laziness and a responsibility.

 I’m not a big fan of the city but like a couple of their city commissioners. They just have to stay ahead of the garbage but they do need to revamp they are notice. You cried wolf too much and they stop believing you. They need to make it clear that this is a garbage and Bio Hazard clean up only  and the campers themselves should be self policing because they hurt everyone if they do not force all campers to be responsible with their garbage. There should be a no brainer for the campers but unless they have their own council And in force this they are all going to eventually be moved out. They haven’t been enforcing the tent limit since this virus hit but no one to should that for granted and  Believe that’s a get out of jail free card. You would think that the people that live in the  Housed community  would be the biggest  Bitchers but It’s actually the campers who are just trying to survive your good stewards of the land.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 10:54 AM Sean Green <green@...> wrote:
[...]

 Everything I stayed at is 100% factual. I’ve been a long time homeless Advocate but I also know that there is an element of the homeless population that are hot pads, liars, thieves, slobs  and are predatory. It took several years for me  being able to distinguish between the campers just doing their best to survive another day I am the bad element. I no longer confuse the two. Since you don’t have any idea about me you’re talking out of your ear. Go ahead and be a troll I was that does not bother me. Just like big-time Trump supporters I don’t want to hear  the truth.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 11:12 AM Jeff Liddicoat <outsideartsale@...> wrote:
[...]

“Good God Woman” REALLY!  It’s public record what they make so look it up yourself. He also hires homeless people to work for him as they have a perspective that he wants. I have had naysayers have lunch with Lance and I sat there and let them chat. One was Ibrahim Mubarek and  The other was a pastor from my homeless church. Lance had them put any question to him that they wantrd to.  They all came out as good friends. You seem to be so filled with hate that you aren’t even willing to entertain that not everybody is evil  oh no do you think who oppose you. I would consider using the next $1200 stimulus check to have that chip removed off your shoulder. Anyone that actually knows me knows I would never side with anyone that was going out of their way to hurt homeless people. ODOT actually called the police on me once When I got in to their face after one of their suites during a bad rainy time of the year that killed an elderly man who was homeless. The police refused to arrest me. I will never go along to get along and I will not subscribe to peoples in accurate interpretation of events or other people.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 11:21 AM Jeff Liddicoat <outsideartsale@...> wrote:
[...]

Oh BTW I Volunteer at Union Gospel Mission because they are very caring and believing their mission of helping the disenfranchised.

[...]

Maureen Fisher <mfisher@...>

Please remove my name from this chain and email group. Thank you.

[...]

While it is possible for an admin to remove folks, it is most efficient for everyone to manage their own subscription. At the bottom of every email you'll see the following options (you might need to click the "..." to see all the options). In addition to being able to unsubscribe, folks can "mute" topics/threads. Best, Sean

image.png

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 12:52 PM Maureen Fisher <mfisher@...> wrote:
[...]

Barb Rainish

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/toolkit/article/562211

Hi Folks,

If you haven't checked out the city's site for HUCIRP, please do.

Reading news is great, but sometimes it's better to go closer to the source.

Is HUCIRP accurate? That's my first question.

My apologies for not making it up to St John's to help. I hope it went well.

--barb.

My question

_._,_._,_

Tim McCormick

the cleanup notice Sarah shared is, I think, ambiguous about what action may occur and when. Perhaps we can help by documenting, explaining, and asking for improvement of the notices, and of scheduling procedures - see #3 below. Perhaps this has been proposed, or if not is a good specific area in which to ask for a goodwill response from the City and HUCIRP (Homelessness / Urban Camping Impact Reduction Program, the Manager of which is Lucas Hillier Lucas.hillier@..., Bcc-ed here to invite any reply/clarifications from him).

1. I am hearing of a "green notice" which may differ than this one posted with white paper. I can't find the picture I had of this, does anyone have more info on this or picture of other cleanup etc notices?

2. The notice warns sites "will be posted for personal property removal" - not, per se, removal of people (i.e. 'eviction'), closing off area, or prohibiting a future campsite. However, as far as I understand, or can see in HUCIRP's official procedures as described in documents at their site which I've just reviewed, there is only a single defined activity, "cleanup", also described as campsite removal, or sometimes 'clearing' a campsite. See program workflow diagram: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/toolkit/article/680698

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 1.10.05 PM.png

In a June 26, 2020 memo from Lucas Hillier, (https://www.portlandoregon.gov/toolkit/article/763279) describing the planned resumption of cleaning and clearing campsites, he states:

"HUCIRP has developed a plan for a limited resumption of posting, cleaning, and personal property removal to address situations where the public health and safety risks associated with individuals moving some distance from their current location. " "After 24 hours [from posting], if the campsite still violates the above thresholds, the campsite will be posted to be cleaned and cleared."  [bold added].

The memo implies that action will require "individuals moving some distance from their current location," but as far as I can tell, from the letter of the law, the campsite cleanup process as constrained by the Andersen agreement concerns strictly 'campsites' and property, where campsite is defined as:

"A location where, for the purpose of maintaining or establishing a temporary place to live, any of the following is placed: any bedding, sleeping bag, or other sleeping matter; any stove or fire; and/or any structure such as a hut, lean-to, tent, or other temporary structure such as carts and/or personal property."

A person isn't a location, sleeping matter, a structure, or personal property, so it isn't clear that 'cleanup' procedure therefore does, or could, include actions taken against persons. By that interpretation, it seems campers and a campsite and perhaps a crew of friendly passers-by could, theoretically, just move their materials aside/offsite when a cleanup is conducted, and move them back afterwards. Is there any enforceable definition of how long a 'cleanup' takes, or how far away is not part of the 'campsite'? Seems kind of sensible, like moving furniture aside when vacuuming. In some places as I've seen in Bay Area, dwellings and camp fixtures are put on castors or wheels precisely to deal with this and with regular street cleaning. Can anyone suggest problems with such an approach?

3.  It appears that the notice Sarah shared is not quite compliant with the Andersen vs City of Portland legal settlement (https://www.portlandoregon.gov/toolkit/article/738924) governing campsite cleanups. According to that, the notice must include the words:

“This campsite will be cleared no less than 24 hours after

and within seven (7) days of [the date and time the site is posted for

cleanup]. Cleanup may take place at anytime within the seven-day period”

Could seem a small point, but points to something bigger: is a seven-day window, or perhaps longer if there's nothing noting that 7-day limit, entirely necessary or appropriate, for a service call that apparently will take away one's home and any possessions you can't carry away in under an hour? I mean, even so despised a tyrant as Comcast Infinity might give you a day or a 4-hour window for taking a look at your cable box; might we hope for the City & Rapid Response Bio-Hazard to do something like that regarding removal of homes? I know scheduling service calls is tricky, work isn't quite predictable, but consider the difficulties of, having no place else to go and being destitute, waiting a week in readiness to disband home and move all possessions in an hour. How about, say, giving a day, and calling an hour ahead of time, then you'd have two hours?

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 1:13 PM Barb Rainish <whatisright88@...> wrote:
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/toolkit/article/562211

Hi Folks,

If you haven't checked out the city's site for HUCIRP, please do.

Reading news is great, but sometimes it's better to go closer to the source.

Is HUCIRP accurate? That's my first question.

My apologies for not making it up to St John's to help. I hope it went well.

--barb.

My question

Trena Sutton

Tim,  couldn’t agree more and I have tried to get them to be more specific. The city does not listen to me or to most people but who criticize them in anyway.  The problem is with these in accurate postings by the city and others that others get hurt in the fallout.  I find people take sides and do not want to hear another opinion even when it’s based on fact.

Trena

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 2:41 PM Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:

[...]

Verna Dunlap

Spot on

On Jul 27, 2020, at 3:08 PM, Trena Sutton <thegirlsok@...> wrote:

[...]

I am reposting a message below by Jeff Liddicoat (Stop the Sweeps PDX, etc) that was on thread earlier in the month but got caught in moderation review on the listserv because the topic was paused for cool-off.

I would like to also uplift these issues raised and the topic, and emphasize that for many to most unsheltered people and advocates, these are at the top of all concerns: living areas being 'cleaned' or 'cleared', being displaced with nowhere to go, and losing important possessions and community contacts.

While fully resolving these crucial points is a big project, I think recent conversations here and with officials have foregrounded that there might be some quite helpful smaller steps forward we could make together soon, in reviewing, improving, and educating around the City's clean/clear notices and policies. I am now fairly sure that the City's current "Posted" notices do not include text they are legally required to under the "Andersen settlement", so ought to be updated anyway, so this we could see as a helpful prompt to improve and better explain them also.
-Tim

----------------------------

I hope that a review of Trena Sutton’s bit here will [be considered in the] stark reality of what has happened in the area she told us all wasn’t targeted for removal. See things have been removed. That’s the bottom line.

People who had sheltered together for many months have been moved along by the earlier posting. Anyone who is anything but a tourist knows that all postings are just for cleaning right up until they aren’t.  It’s kind of complex so people whose minds are occupied with what slobs the homeless are may not get it But here goes...

     First of all the old cleanup poster never said you would be cleaned it always only said you may be cleaned within 7 days. Everyone knows though that once they start writing and posting about cleaning what comes next is you get cleaned out. And I’d need a stronger word than  naive to describe anyone who thinks keeping your space clean is going to keep you safe from being swept. ...[it's not clear that there is] some big difference between the standard sweep notice and the ones recently posted in St. John’s it was inevitable that most people living the experience would feel compelled to move. Understand that when they start posting they may or may not sweep in that 7 day window and there is a risk of not seeing or hearing about subsequent notices. These fine distinctions that factor into how the homeless decide to react to postings [..].

And some just don’t get it the downside to a wrong choice is huge - you may be left with nothing - no shelter from the rain, no protection from the cold, no phone to stay in touch, no cart to carry on towards the next place you cannot be. When that happens enough times you begin to have less concern for how your place looks, you start to carry less and less with you - including fewer cleaning supplies garbage bags, brooms, work gloves, buckets. And why should you it doesn’t really matter how grand your place looks you’ll still be swept cleaned out set adrift again.

Besides which their cover story for all the harassment is that they will make it all clean. They will undo the eye sore of homeless slobs. You know what? Most of the garbage you see associated with the homeless isn’t even their garbage. Instead it’s items thrown out by the housed then temporarily diverted from the waste stream by poor folks trying to put it all to some use. The trash at a particular camp or even of all campers is minuscule compared to the planet threatening trash producing activities of the housed class. [...] ..it’s an endless list. The trash of the homeless give a few people something to talk about. Meanwhile those very same people are responsible for trashing the planet. The comparative carbon footprints aren’t even close. We all owe the homeless a debt of gratitude for how little waste they produce. [..]

Related is this: There seems to be just a general attitude that the homeless with their tarps and pallets and bike parts are an eyesore a drag on the visual quality and house values in a given neighborhood. What I don’t get is what is so [aesthetically] appealing about all the cars, the tar roads, the [creosote] soaked telephone poles or all the power lines strung here there and everywhere. Compared to the homeless that whole scene is a visual nightmare. Whatever my feelings about the world of the housed I don’t dial 911 to complain about. The citizens who file complaints about the homeless need more self reflection and to dial back the complaining and name calling.

Sorry about the typos but if you wrote such long pieces you probably wouldn’t want to proofread either. I promise to make these more concise.
[-Jeff Liddicoat]

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 8:37 PM Verna Dunlap <lct4vets@...> wrote:
[...]

Tim,
I’ve got to say not just in this post but in others I’ve seen you have really got your thinking cap on. I mean really have your thinking cap on. Good man!!!

[...]

In terms of changes in the sweep/cleanup postings back when Margie Hendrickson was the Ombudsman we made several complaints about the way postings were being done including for example  the whole matter of an area being declared a no camp area - who makes that declaration, what amount of space is included, how are those boundaries described for campers?Margie went on maternity leave before
much discussion occurred, but she did act on one of our complaints which was that without inclusion of the exact time a posting was put up - the camper would have no idea when the clock started on the 24 or 48 hour warning period. She spoke with the police and there for awhile all sweeps postings were getting a notation about the specific time the posting was made. It wasn’t much of an improvement, but it was an improvement. The more important point is that the Ombudsman’s office has the power to act in this area and might be willing to do more.
Jeff L.