11-story building to displace low-income residents in Kenton

Taffy Everts

I’m not sure this is the right forum for this question, but I’m wondering whether low-income folks displaced from affordable housing have any right to replacement housing. A developer wants to build an 11-story building on two lots containing low-rise mid-20th-century apartments whose residents reportedly pay $500-$800/month. Described at https://efiles.portlandoregon.gov/record/14460187, the new building’s proposed 290 units (studios and 1- & 2-bedroom apartments) will rent for 60% of Average Median Income (AMI).

The AMI for our area currently ranges from $40,620 for 1 person to $58,020 for a family of 4—too much, according to NextDoor posts, for at least 8 of the current residents, who will likely become homeless. There’s no provision for offering them apartments in the new building at or near their current rents. Do they have any legal recourse?

Trena Sutton

Do you know who the Developer is?

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 6:04 PM Taffy Everts <taffy@...> wrote:

[...]

Just my opinion but I think it is very appropriate for this venue. I could find out which Developer if I can get a street name and cross street.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021, 6:04 PM Taffy Everts <taffy@...> wrote:

I’m not sure this is the right forum for this question, but I’m wondering whether low-income folks displaced from affordable housing have any right to replacement housing. A developer wants to build an 11-story building on two lots containing low-rise mid-20th-century apartments whose residents reportedly pay $500-$800/month. Described at https://efiles.portlandoregon.gov/record/14460187, the new building’s proposed 290 units (studios and 1- & 2-bedroom apartments) will rent for 60% of Average Median Income (AMI).

The AMI for our area currently ranges from $40,620 for 1 person to $58,020 for a family of 4—too much, according to NextDoor posts, for at least 8 of the current residents, who will likely become homeless. There’s no provision for offering them apartments in the new building at or near their current rents. Do they have any legal recourse?

Elise Aymer

I also think it's relevant for the forum. I think it's problematic if we only focus on things once someone has nowhere to live, rather than look at the systems that create that scenario. And the case Taffy raises is very lPDX ocal and current.

Elise

--
Elise Aymer
Co-founder, Critical Diversity Solutions

Andrew Olshin

Elise
I’ve heard good things about this lawyer:

https://underdoglawyer.com/

On Jul 12, 2021, at 8:54 PM, Elise Aymer <elise@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your supportive comments! The proposed building site is the two lots at 1810 and 1838 N Argyle Street at N Fenwick. The project will be presented at the Kenton Neighborhood Association (KNA) board meeting tomorrow evening. More info about the building is at https://historickenton.com/new-development-proposed-for-n-argyle/.

I will forward the lawyer’s email link to one of the current residents.

Sincerely,

Taffy

[...]

As I read this approximately 14 units would be torn down in favor of this large project. The age of the current dwellings is significant. Where will the current residents go while its being built? Will the displaced families have the choice to move in first?

The project sounds enormous but inducements may be favorable to families. The rub may be a loss of yards for children to play in or the ability to have small gardens or planted flowers.

We desperately need more affordable housing and I hope all will benefit from this project.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021, 8:44 AM Taffy Everts <taffy@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi, Trina,

Yes, two buildings built in the 1940s that now house 14 people would be torn down and replaced with an 11-story building with an estimated 290 units that would house an estimated 500 people in studios and 1- and 2-bedroom units. Concerns are that the people now housed pay a lot less ($500-$800 per month, reportedly) for their apartments than the proposed units will rent for. They are billed as affordable, but will rent for 60% of the current Average Median Income (AMI) for our area. Current HUD maximum monthly rent including utilities at 60% AMI is $1015 for a 1-person studio, $1088 for a 1.5-person 1-bedroom, and $1306 for a 3-person 2-bedroom apartment. At least 8 of the current residents reportedly can’t afford the increased rent.

Another rub is that because the project is about a block from the Kenton MAX station, it has no provision for car parking (only bicycle parking). I don’t know if you’re familiar with the immediate neighborhood (sort of behind the Dancing Bear strip club in Kenton), but it’s a small, hilly area of a few narrow streets sandwiched between the MAX tracks and N Columbia Blvd. Parking is already difficult for the folks who live in the garden apartments and the newer four-story building across N Fenwick from the project. Assuming one car for every two residents in the new building, where will 250 more people find parking?

As far as I know, the current tenants have not been offered apartments in the proposed building or alternative housing while it’s being built or afterwards. (These are good questions to ask the developer and/or architect at the KNA board meeting tomorrow evening. Thanks!)

We absolutely need more affordable housing in Portland, but is the building as proposed appropriate for that purpose?

Sincerely,

Taffy

[...]

Taffy, this is great information! Did all the residents facing displacement attend this meeting to see what options they have? I acknowledge the need for affordable housing.

I'm always concerned about Tenement housing but living on the streets is not a great prospect either. I'd love to see the renderings of this project. I would imagine that they would want to place Seniors away from families with children since they will have do many units. I'm interested in knowing how many units will be able to accommodate citizens with disabilities. Who will be admin over this?

In any place such as this will end up with some problematic residents. I would hope that a contingency plan for resident safety will be in place.

I admit I'm a "What If" person but I've seen citizens trading a bad situation for a worse one. Just an observation.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021, 4:44 PM Taffy Everts <taffy@...> wrote:

[...]

Wow! More good questions to ask the project presenter(s) at the KNA Board meeting tomorrow. At least one of the current residents will attend.

Thanks, Trena!

Taffy

[...]

I’d love to be there but I’m in Central Oregon. They call it “Poverty with a View”. Lots of houseless peeps. I work with Homeless Veterans over here. I’m taking a break and watching the All Stars game lol. Please keep me in the posted.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 5:37 PM Taffy Everts <taffy@...> wrote:

[...]

Aisha Musa

Why in the world would anyone want to place seniors away from families with children? That is ridiculous and age discrimination.

Dr. Aisha Y. Musa
AYM Education and Consulting, LLC

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 5:43 PM Trena Sutton <thegirlsok@...> wrote:
[...]

Actually its not but we can agree to disagree. I don't blame children for excessive noise in the hallways, I blame parents who allow children to play in the hallways. I am a Senior. I was told by the Management Company that they would place Seniors away from unsupervised children, unfortunately that did not happen. I live in a building with 4 floors with 80 units. Seniors have complained but not much is done about it. Now 290 units are being built! Its not unreasonable and certainly it is not Senior or children animus.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021, 6:29 PM Aisha Musa <draymusa@...> wrote:
[...]

Aisha, I'm not a senior. I am someone with children (a tween and teen now). I've been to community events where most of the participants were seniors and it was made clear to me that my presence with my children was unwanted. Noise was one issue (at that time I had a gurgling baby and a toddler who I thought were fairly quiet, and who weren't going anywhere unaccompanied but they also weren't at zero in terms of making noises).

There was also the sense from the majority group of older folks that they had raised their children already and now wanted a child-free space unless at specified events.

I felt unwelcome and so limited my visits to that community. I also understood though that while I would have welcomed a mixed age group that others had their other (understandable) reasons for not wanting one.

On a professional note, when I did consulting with communities on public space use, very often there was quite sharp conflict between seniors and people with children over the use of parks and other public spaces. People with children often wanted playgrounds and run around space for their children whereas seniors frequently were looking for quiet space, dog parks and space to walk dogs.

Elise

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 9:39 PM Trena Sutton <thegirlsok@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your message!

Aisha Musa

Dear Elise,
I am sorry you had such an experience. I am 63 years old and the last place I want to live is a place for "seniors." I enjoy living in a multi-generational building. I hope I never become like the people you encountered.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 7:51 PM Elise Aymer <elise@...> wrote:
[...]

Eli Spevak

The funding package for an affordable housing development of this scale almost certainly triggers HUD's Uniform Relocation Act, which requires that the developer provide financial relocation assistance to displaced residents (or businesses, in the case of commercial relocation).  You could ask the builder if URA applies; I suspect it does.  To understand what those benefits are, look up Uniform Relocation Act online.  Displacement is always a burden, but URA softens it quite a bit.

"Whenever Federal funds are used in a project involving the demolition of real property, a Federal law known as the Unif Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970 (URA) generally CDBG funds in a project involving the demolition or convers also trigger another Federal law under Section 104(d) of the acquisition, ..."

CHAPTER 18: RELOCATION & ACQUISITION - HUD Exchange

Taffy Everts

Thanks for this very helpful information, Eli. I will ask the presenter tonight about the URA if no one else brings it up.

Taffy

The funding package for an affordable housing development of this scale almost certainly triggers HUD's Uniform Relocation Act, which requires that the developer provide financial relocation assistance to displaced residents (or businesses, in the case of commercial relocation).  You could ask the builder if URA applies; I suspect it does.  To understand what those benefits are, look up Uniform Relocation Act online.  Displacement is always a burden, but URA softens it quite a bit.

"Whenever Federal funds are used in a project involving the demolition of real property, a Federal law known as the Unif Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970 (URA) generally CDBG funds in a project involving the demolition or convers also trigger another Federal law under Section 104(d) of the acquisition, ..."

CHAPTER 18: RELOCATION & ACQUISITION - HUD Exchange

Joseph Purkey

Isn't there a similar local requirement when you evict a tenant? Are there two fund sources these current tenants will get to relocate? Also, are the HUD and local funds one time payments that help with moving expenses, or ongoing support to help afford a replacement unit that is more expensive?

-Joe

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021, 9:59 AM Trena Sutton <thegirlsok@...> wrote:
[...]

I’ve just done a little online research and am not sure tenants displaced by the 11-story building project qualify for reimbursements under the Uniform Relocation Act (URA) because as far as I can tell the developer is a private corporation, not the city or county or a public corporation. However, something called Mandatory Renter Relocation Assistance might apply: https://northwestlandlordlaw.com/articles/f/portland-mandatory-renter-relocation-assistance-as-of-9122019.

AFAIK, these are 1-time payments, not ongoing support.

Taffy