Date   

good KOIN-6 TV segment with houseless man & Neighbors Helping Neighbors, at N. Lombard & I-5 camp

Tim McCormick
 

surprisingly good (mostly, in my opinion) TV news segment from Portland KOIN 6, 

https://www.koin.com/is-portland-over/homeless-in-portland-aint-never-seen-such-a-bad-deal/

Centers on interviews with a houseless man, and Terrance Moses who runs Neighbors Helping Neighbors, at camp at N. Lombard and I-5 / N. Montana.


"Moses said we can’t build enough brick-and-mortar buildings in a timely and urgent way. 'But what we do need is more tiny homes or just land and let them pitch their tents or put the RVs, but still provide them the services.'"


(geographic note: the location is the intersection of Oregon's main north-south route I-5 / Pacific Highway, with its main east-west route, Hwy 30, = N. Lombard St here). 


One note, I'd incline to ask for substantiation of houselesss interviewee / KOIN6's claim of public benefit money being used by recipients to buy drugs. May be true, but also sounds like something fears/stereotypes would suggest, and would be best to check out.


lead reporter: Dan Tilkin

Posted: Nov 18, 2021 / 01:00 PM PST / Updated: Nov 18, 2021 / 05:30 PM PST


PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — At a homeless camp along I-5 at North Lombard, one of the people participating in a recent clean-up lives in the camp and shared his insights into why Portland is stuck in a homeless crisis.


At his camp, he’s frustrated younger homeless people keep bringing in more stuff and doesn’t understand why the city of Portland allows it and why it doesn’t at least provide them with garbage cans.


Portland neighbors beg for help as homeless camp takes root 

“We cleaned this area over here twice in 3 weeks,” the man told KOIN 6 News. “Portland don’t want to keep picking it up, picking it up, picking it up. I take care of my area, if I start seeing it getting overflowed, I go over and tell them, ‘Hey man, pick it up or get the hell out of here’.”


The city made a decision during the pandemic to leave many homeless camps alone and decided to try to do a better job helping people in camps gets social services. That takes more time and money.


The man agreed to talk to KOIN 6 News if his identify was not revealed. He didn’t share any personal details about his life beyond saying he’s originally from Texas.


Asked if there are not enough mental health services he said, “For them. You know what I mean? Not me. I’ve seen people get run over right out there (pointing to the freeway on-ramp). People, man. It’s ridiculous.”


Then there’s the drug use.


“Holy macaroni! I ain’t never in my life seen such a bad deal. They’re giving them the money to go buy the dope. They’re, I mean, they can work for it, if anything. You know what I mean? Come on, man! Do something besides give them money and do this and do that and get stupid trash everywhere.”


This homeless man helped clean up a homeless camp at North Lombard and Montana, October 2021 (KOIN)

He’s talking about government financial assistance that some in the homeless camps spend on drugs. That government assistance is supposed to go to living expenses.


Housing is an issue, of course. But “who can afford $1500 a month for a box? That’s sad. That doesn’t coincide their Social Security or whatever they’re getting, you know, for help.”


Data from Multifamily NW and A Home For Everyone shows that since early 2015, “rents in our community have risen much faster than the median income, to nearly $1400 a month for a one-bedroom apartment in Portland. … Meanwhile, more than 21,000 people in Multnomah County rely on federal disability checks that top out at $794 a month.”


“Every major forecast is predicting continued rent increases in Portland Metro,” wrote Multifamily NW in its Fall 2021 Apartment Report. “This will be driven by steady population growth, decreasing number of units under construction, and declining vacancies.”


Trash, graffiti growing concern on Portland-area freeways 

The man from Texas was working alongside Terrance Moses who runs Neighbors Helping Neighbors. Through donations to his non-profit, Moses cleans up camps and tries to help people living on the fringe.


“What you should really know is that a lot of our houseless neighbors aren’t here by choice and yes, there’s a segment of them that are here by choice,” Moses said. “And the stigma of dehumanizing them, what other folks don’t know about it is that it is very hurtful and traumatizing to an already traumatic incident.”



This homeless man helped clean up a homeless camp at North Lombard and Montana, October 2021 (KOIN)

Moses said we can’t build enough brick-and-mortar buildings in a timely and urgent way. “But what we do need is more tiny homes or just land and let them pitch their tents or put the RVs, but still provide them the services.”


He added the reason many homeless people seem to hoard garbage is really simple. “When you’re homeless and you have absolutely nothing, everything you touch becomes a prize possession. And they want to hold on to everything.”


While the man from Texas didn’t want to share how he ended up in this homeless camp, he did say the City of Portland is enabling the crisis he’s part of.


City leaders, he said, are “giving up too easy. The political people are just giving up. They don’t, they don’t, they don’t care to deal with it. They don’t want to deal with it and they’re not going to deal with it. They’re going to pass the buck to somebody else. It’s a little bit easier.”


-------

Bcc: Dan Tilkin

dan.tilkin@...




--
--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


TODAY 3-5pm: AHFE Safety Off the Streets Workgroup mtg

Tim McCormick
 

AHFE Safety Off the Streets Workgroup mtg

When
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3pm – 5pm Pacific Time - Los Angeles
Where
https://meet.google.com/svq-vkja-ykr (map)
Calendar
pdxshelterforum@...

you are welcome to join the 3-5pm monthly (on 3rd Tuesdays), open meeting of the Safety Off the Streets Workgroup, a subcommittee of the Coordinating Board of A Home For Everyone:  
   Google Meet:  meet.google.com/svq-vkja-ykr
   Phone: 1 484-424-4823  (PIN: 661 453 175#)

Agenda for Nov 16.
TIME TOPIC PRESENTER
15 min Welcome & Introductions All
30 min City/county fall strategic investments in houselessness - Mark Bond
20 min Severe Weather Update - Celeste Duvall
20 min Shelter bed set aside - Christopher Sage,
Tony Bernal
20 min Governance Restructure - Joshua Bates
15 min General Updates & Announcements All

Meeting agendas, materials (posted shortly before meeting), and minutes (posted some months after meeting): http://ahomeforeveryone.net/safety-off-the-streets-workgroup

SOS Workground is the shelter, immediate-response focused part, and advisory group, of the county homelessness administrative authority (A Home For Everyone). So it's a key place, in terms of funding / general policy, where many of us in PDX Shelter Forum might engage given our interests here. See 'About SOS'' below for more about it. 


ABOUT SOS

http://ahomeforeveryone.net/safety-off-the-streets-workgroup.
"In October 2014, the Safety off the Streets Workgroup was created as a subcommittee of the Coordinating Board and charged with developing an action plan, that prioritized strategies for increasing options for safety and a good night’s sleep, such that no women, children, or adults with disabilities have to sleep on the streets of Multnomah County by January 2017. The action plan includes policy and funding recommendations from the workgroup’s analysis of the need and what it would take to build a system to begin to address that need. [...]

"Going forward, the Safety off the Streets Workgroup will oversee implementation of shelter development, coordinated entry, best practices strategy, monitor new shelter initiatives, develop public spaces engagement/management strategies, oversee severe weather response, oversee development and implementation of street and shelter count methodology, and shape safety off the streets related budget recommendations."
--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


Re: TODAY 1-2:15pm research webinar: Addressing Homelessness at Portland State; Villages study

Peter Finley Fry
 

The PSU presentation was very interesting. I would not have known about it if it was not for pdxshelterforum. Thank you. 

Peter Finley Fry
303 NW Uptown Terrace #1B
Portland, Oregon 97210
503 703-8033 

On Nov 14, 2021, at 10:09 AM, Andrew Olshin via groups.io <Andrew.Olshin@...> wrote:

 Hi. Was this recorded?

Thanks, 
Andy Olshin

On Nov 12, 2021, at 4:14 PM, Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:



"Addressing Homelessness at Portland State and in the Broader Portland Community"

Friday, November 12, 2021 - 1:00 PM - 2:15 PM


including discussion of PSU Homelessness Research & Action Collaborative (HRAC)'s in-progress study of a set of Portland pod shelter sites, called villages by their organizers and in their study, and considered by study to represent "village model" of homelessness response.


Event page: https://www.pdx.edu/events/addressing-homelessness-portland-state-and-broader-portland-community


Register: https://pdx.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_SFl0ayoNT7eqUxdLYSFn5w


<Homelessness panel.png>


Dr. Greg Townley (Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology and co-founder of PSU’s HRAC)
Dr. Katricia Stewart (recent graduate of the PSU Psychology doctoral program
Emily Leickly and Holly Brot (doctoral students)


Contact:  gtownley@...

REGISTER FOR WEBINAR

Homelessness is one of the most pressing challenges facing our community. In this presentation, we highlight the work of the PSU Department of Psychology and the PSU Homelessness Research & Action Collaborative to address homelessness both within our campus community and in the broader Portland metropolitan area. 

The presentation will begin with an overview by Dr. Greg Townley (Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology and co-founder of PSU’s Homelessness Research & Action Collaborative) on the role that action-based research can play in providing evidence-based solutions to homelessness. He and his research team will then describe three studies examining different aspects of homelessness research and service delivery. Dr. Katricia Stewart (recent graduate of the PSU Psychology doctoral program and Senior Policy Analyst at Homebase) will share results from a study of homelessness and housing insecurity among PSU students and employees. Emily Leickly and Holly Brott (current PSU Psychology doctoral students) will then share findings from a recent study of local tiny home villages for individuals transitioning out of homelessness. Finally, Dr. Townley will discuss his work helping to design and evaluate the Portland Street Response, a new branch of Portland’s first responder system that responds to non-emergency calls involving people experiencing homelessness and mental health crisis.

The 60-minute presentation will be followed by a 15-minute Q&A session inviting attendees to ask questions about this work.  

REGISTER FOR WEBINAR

The Applying Psychology in Portland Speaker Series is hosted by the Department of Psychology at Portland State University with support from the CLAS Dean’s Office. The goal of the Speaker Series is to highlight the ways that faculty and students from the Department of Psychology are making a difference in the lives of people in the Portland area.


--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


Re: TODAY 1-2:15pm research webinar: Addressing Homelessness at Portland State; Villages study

Andrew Olshin
 

Hi. Was this recorded?

Thanks, 
Andy Olshin

On Nov 12, 2021, at 4:14 PM, Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:



"Addressing Homelessness at Portland State and in the Broader Portland Community"

Friday, November 12, 2021 - 1:00 PM - 2:15 PM


including discussion of PSU Homelessness Research & Action Collaborative (HRAC)'s in-progress study of a set of Portland pod shelter sites, called villages by their organizers and in their study, and considered by study to represent "village model" of homelessness response.


Event page: https://www.pdx.edu/events/addressing-homelessness-portland-state-and-broader-portland-community


Register: https://pdx.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_SFl0ayoNT7eqUxdLYSFn5w


Homelessness panel.png


Dr. Greg Townley (Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology and co-founder of PSU’s HRAC)
Dr. Katricia Stewart (recent graduate of the PSU Psychology doctoral program
Emily Leickly and Holly Brot (doctoral students)


Contact:  gtownley@...

REGISTER FOR WEBINAR

Homelessness is one of the most pressing challenges facing our community. In this presentation, we highlight the work of the PSU Department of Psychology and the PSU Homelessness Research & Action Collaborative to address homelessness both within our campus community and in the broader Portland metropolitan area. 

The presentation will begin with an overview by Dr. Greg Townley (Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology and co-founder of PSU’s Homelessness Research & Action Collaborative) on the role that action-based research can play in providing evidence-based solutions to homelessness. He and his research team will then describe three studies examining different aspects of homelessness research and service delivery. Dr. Katricia Stewart (recent graduate of the PSU Psychology doctoral program and Senior Policy Analyst at Homebase) will share results from a study of homelessness and housing insecurity among PSU students and employees. Emily Leickly and Holly Brott (current PSU Psychology doctoral students) will then share findings from a recent study of local tiny home villages for individuals transitioning out of homelessness. Finally, Dr. Townley will discuss his work helping to design and evaluate the Portland Street Response, a new branch of Portland’s first responder system that responds to non-emergency calls involving people experiencing homelessness and mental health crisis.

The 60-minute presentation will be followed by a 15-minute Q&A session inviting attendees to ask questions about this work.  

REGISTER FOR WEBINAR

The Applying Psychology in Portland Speaker Series is hosted by the Department of Psychology at Portland State University with support from the CLAS Dean’s Office. The goal of the Speaker Series is to highlight the ways that faculty and students from the Department of Psychology are making a difference in the lives of people in the Portland area.


--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


Re: TODAY 1-2:15pm research webinar: Addressing Homelessness at Portland State; Villages study

Taffy Everts
 

Sorry I missed this. Is there a recording of the Webinar that PSU can share?

 

From: pdxshelterforum@groups.io <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim McCormick
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2021 12:58 PM
To: pdxshelterforum@groups.io; villagecoalition <villagecoalition@...>
Subject: [pdxshelterforum] TODAY 1-2:15pm research webinar: Addressing Homelessness at Portland State; Villages study

 

"Addressing Homelessness at Portland State and in the Broader Portland Community"

Friday, November 12, 2021 - 1:00 PM - 2:15 PM

 

including discussion of PSU Homelessness Research & Action Collaborative (HRAC)'s in-progress study of a set of Portland pod shelter sites, called villages by their organizers and in their study, and considered by study to represent "village model" of homelessness response.

 

Event page: https://www.pdx.edu/events/addressing-homelessness-portland-state-and-broader-portland-community

 

Register: https://pdx.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_SFl0ayoNT7eqUxdLYSFn5w

 

 

Dr. Greg Townley (Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology and co-founder of PSU’s HRAC)
Dr. Katricia Stewart (recent graduate of the PSU Psychology doctoral program
Emily Leickly and Holly Brot (doctoral students)

 

Contact:  gtownley@...

REGISTER FOR WEBINAR

Homelessness is one of the most pressing challenges facing our community. In this presentation, we highlight the work of the PSU Department of Psychology and the PSU Homelessness Research & Action Collaborative to address homelessness both within our campus community and in the broader Portland metropolitan area. 

The presentation will begin with an overview by Dr. Greg Townley (Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology and co-founder of PSU’s Homelessness Research & Action Collaborative) on the role that action-based research can play in providing evidence-based solutions to homelessness. He and his research team will then describe three studies examining different aspects of homelessness research and service delivery. Dr. Katricia Stewart (recent graduate of the PSU Psychology doctoral program and Senior Policy Analyst at Homebase) will share results from a study of homelessness and housing insecurity among PSU students and employees. Emily Leickly and Holly Brott (current PSU Psychology doctoral students) will then share findings from a recent study of local tiny home villages for individuals transitioning out of homelessness. Finally, Dr. Townley will discuss his work helping to design and evaluate the Portland Street Response, a new branch of Portland’s first responder system that responds to non-emergency calls involving people experiencing homelessness and mental health crisis.

The 60-minute presentation will be followed by a 15-minute Q&A session inviting attendees to ask questions about this work.  

REGISTER FOR WEBINAR

The Applying Psychology in Portland Speaker Series is hosted by the Department of Psychology at Portland State University with support from the CLAS Dean’s Office. The goal of the Speaker Series is to highlight the ways that faculty and students from the Department of Psychology are making a difference in the lives of people in the Portland area.


--

Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network

+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.

Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


TODAY 1-2:15pm research webinar: Addressing Homelessness at Portland State; Villages study

Tim McCormick
 

"Addressing Homelessness at Portland State and in the Broader Portland Community"

Friday, November 12, 2021 - 1:00 PM - 2:15 PM


including discussion of PSU Homelessness Research & Action Collaborative (HRAC)'s in-progress study of a set of Portland pod shelter sites, called villages by their organizers and in their study, and considered by study to represent "village model" of homelessness response.


Event page: https://www.pdx.edu/events/addressing-homelessness-portland-state-and-broader-portland-community


Register: https://pdx.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_SFl0ayoNT7eqUxdLYSFn5w


Homelessness panel.png


Dr. Greg Townley (Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology and co-founder of PSU’s HRAC)
Dr. Katricia Stewart (recent graduate of the PSU Psychology doctoral program
Emily Leickly and Holly Brot (doctoral students)


Contact:  gtownley@...

REGISTER FOR WEBINAR

Homelessness is one of the most pressing challenges facing our community. In this presentation, we highlight the work of the PSU Department of Psychology and the PSU Homelessness Research & Action Collaborative to address homelessness both within our campus community and in the broader Portland metropolitan area. 

The presentation will begin with an overview by Dr. Greg Townley (Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology and co-founder of PSU’s Homelessness Research & Action Collaborative) on the role that action-based research can play in providing evidence-based solutions to homelessness. He and his research team will then describe three studies examining different aspects of homelessness research and service delivery. Dr. Katricia Stewart (recent graduate of the PSU Psychology doctoral program and Senior Policy Analyst at Homebase) will share results from a study of homelessness and housing insecurity among PSU students and employees. Emily Leickly and Holly Brott (current PSU Psychology doctoral students) will then share findings from a recent study of local tiny home villages for individuals transitioning out of homelessness. Finally, Dr. Townley will discuss his work helping to design and evaluate the Portland Street Response, a new branch of Portland’s first responder system that responds to non-emergency calls involving people experiencing homelessness and mental health crisis.

The 60-minute presentation will be followed by a 15-minute Q&A session inviting attendees to ask questions about this work.  

REGISTER FOR WEBINAR

The Applying Psychology in Portland Speaker Series is hosted by the Department of Psychology at Portland State University with support from the CLAS Dean’s Office. The goal of the Speaker Series is to highlight the ways that faculty and students from the Department of Psychology are making a difference in the lives of people in the Portland area.


--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


TODAY 2-5pm: watch PDX City Council Fall budget hearing, & my testimony

Tim McCormick
 

A key focal-point hearing happens today 2-5pm. There are 200+ people signed up to testify, and I'm signed up, probably will be on near the start.  Below are my notes I plan to speak from, and also video + transcript from my public comments at A Home For Everyone board meeting last Weds. I plan to uplift WeShinePDX and Harbor of Hope's village model as community-driven village initiatives the City should be fully supporting. 

Current Council meeting agenda & materials:


------------

Nov 10 - PDX City Council testimony (draft/notes) 

------------

Good afternoon Mayor, Councilmembers. 

My name is Tim McCormick. I'm director of Housing Alternatives Network and the Village Collaborative national group. 


I want to thank city & county officials & staff for their hard work on this, and for making homelessness the top priority it should be. 


However, what I see in this budget revision is a *huge* expansion of street outreach and cleanup services, but still no provision of secure, legal places for unhoused people to be, at anywhere near the scale of need.


There is funding for new shelter, but it appears to be largely funding for congregate shelter, which we know large portions of the unhoused will NOT go to. I think we need to find a new trajectory here


First, it's unclear to me how current policies would pass muster under Boise v. Martin, and Oregon HB 3115. We see planned a 5x expansion of camp clearances, in the clear absence of sufficient legal, alternative places to be.


Second, we see longstanding, broad community support for a clear alternative direction, which is citywide safe areas or villages, which would give all residents of our city a non-criminalized place to be.


Polling indicates 85% support, among Portland likely voters, for "50 new safe, sanitary villages, with housing for unhoused residents." That was from our friends at People For Portland's polling.


We see WeShinePDX, and Harbor of Hope, building innovative plans for citywide villages networks, and we see them struggle to get even recognition from the city.

 

I believe these are not only sensible, but are avenues to tremendous community activation, and creativity, in creating new housing alternatives, and continuing Portland's uniquely rich tradition of leadership in this. 


We made the Portland Loo, used now all over the country, now let's create the Portland PAD, and pioneer widely a home over troubled waters. 


The key need, and moral obligation, is city support and cooperation, and provision of the services to all, not only those on your selected sites. 

thank you


--------------------

Nov 3, 2021 AHFE testimony

--------------------

on Weds I gave public comment at AHFE (Multnomah County's CoC), Coordinating Board meeting. I plan to testify similarly at PDX Fall budget revision hearing this Weds.


My public testimony 

https://youtu.be/SU3GmfjUWuQ?t=1598 (26:35- )


Hi. Tim McCormick. I'm now director of Housing Alternatives Network and Village Collaborative. 


First of all I want to say thank you to Dr. Zapata [Dr. Marisa Zapata, Portland State University, who had just announced her resignation from the Board]; and to the Board: If this might make space for some people recently and imminently unhoused, representing others such, with a bottom-up view, then I could suggest some people.


About the budget, anticipating the agenda today, I watched the City/County press conference yesterday, and read the materials, and just wanted to comment that what I see is a *huge* expansion of street outreach and cleanup services, but still no provision of secure, legal places for unhoused people to be, at anywhere near the scale of need.


There is funding for new shelter, but it appears to be largely funding for congregate shelter, which we know large portions of the unhoused *will* not go to.


But for future directions I'd like to suggest a few things -- if not for the current budget. First, it's unclear to me how the current and proposed policies would pass muster under Boise v. Martin, and Oregon HB 3115. The city is talking about a 5x expansion of sweeps, in the clear absence of sufficient legal, alternative places to be.


And then secondly, we see longstanding, broad community support for a clear alternative direction, which is citywide safe areas or villages, which would give all residents of our city a non-criminalized place to be.


We've also seen polling indicating 85% support, among Portland likely voters, for "50 new safe, sanitary villages, with housing for unhoused residents." That was from our friends at People For Portland's polling.


I believe this vision is not only humane and urgent, but is an avenue to tremendous community and creativity, in creating new housing alternatives, and continuing Portland's uniquely rich tradition of leadership in this. And it was for this that we spent years revising the city's code under S2HC. [Shelter to Housing Continuum].


So, just want to say that the city's citizenry is ready to step in here. The government mainly needs to step out of the way and provide services to all in need.

thank you.



--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


Re: 10AM: watch Multnomah County Commissioners briefing & vote on homelessness spending

Dave Weaver
 

Thanks for the heads up Tim!

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 9:57 AM Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:

'Briefing' meeting: 10am - 11:25am


Watch online: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7KFkxGaFa7EJwXh7OYckkQ


Agenda & links to material: 

http://multnomah.granicus.com/GeneratedAgendaViewer.php?view_id=3&event_id=2810


OF PARTICULAR INTEREST: 

10:20am (approx): 

R.2a

BUDGET MODIFICATION # JOHS-005-22: Appropriating $33,795,868 in the Joint Office of Homeless Services for midyear Emergency Investments in Emergency Shelter and Expanding Homeless Services. Presenters: Marc Jolin, Director of Joint Office of Homeless Services & Adam Brown, Business Services Manager. (15 min)


10:50am (approx): 

R.3

BUDGET MODIFICATION # JOHS-006-22: Appropriating $500,000 for the Emergency Shelter RFPQ program in the Joint Office of Homeless Services for midyear Emergency Investments. Presenters: Marc Jolin, Director of Joint Office of Homeless Services & Adam Brown, Business Services Manager. (10 min)




-------------

III.

AGENDA - 10:00 a.m.


FY 2022 BIT Rebalance - Board Vote

R.1

BUDGET MODIFICATION # NOND-003-22: Increasing the Business Income Tax (BIT) by $30,401,964 to support a mid-year rebalance to make FY 2022 Emergency Investments. Presenter: Christian Elkin, Budget Director; Kimberly Melton, Chief of Staff, Chair’s Office; Serena Cruz, Chief Operating Officer; Leslee Barnes, Preschool and Early Learning Division, DCHS. (20 min)


R.1 Budmod-NOND-003-22


R.2a

BUDGET MODIFICATION # JOHS-005-22: Appropriating $33,795,868 in the Joint Office of Homeless Services for midyear Emergency Investments in Emergency Shelter and Expanding Homeless Services. Presenters: Marc Jolin, Director of Joint Office of Homeless Services & Adam Brown, Business Services Manager. (15 min)


R.2A Budmod-JOHS-005-22 APR & ExpRevFTE


R.2b

BUDGET MODIFICATION # HD-038-22: Appropriation of $2.9 million of One-Time-Only Business Income Tax General Fund for BH and PH. Presenters: Julie Dodge, Interim Director, Behavioral Health Jessica Guernsey, Director, Public Health. (15 min)


R.2B Budmod-HD-038


R.3

BUDGET MODIFICATION # JOHS-006-22: Appropriating $500,000 for the Emergency Shelter RFPQ program in the Joint Office of Homeless Services for midyear Emergency Investments. Presenters: Marc Jolin, Director of Joint Office of Homeless Services & Adam Brown, Business Services Manager. (10 min)


R.3 Budmod-JOHS-006-22 APR & ExpRevFTE


R.4

BUDGET MODIFICATION # MCSO-002-22: BIT Emergency Investments Gun Violence Reduction. Presenter: Nicole Morrisey O’Donnell, Undersheriff. (10 min)


R.4 BudMod-MCSO-002


R.5

BUDGET MODIFICATION # NOND-004-22: Appropriating $400,000 for the Local Public Safety Coordinating Council’s Transforming Justice Initiative. Presenters: Abbey Stamp, Executive Director, Local Public Safety Coordinating Council. (10 min)


R.5 Budmod-NOND-004-22


IV.

BOARD COMMENT - 11:20 a.m.

BC.1

Opportunity as time allows, for the Commissioners to provide comment on non-agenda items.

V.

ADJOURNMENT - 11:25 a.m.




--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


10AM: watch Multnomah County Commissioners briefing & vote on homelessness spending

Tim McCormick
 

'Briefing' meeting: 10am - 11:25am


Watch online: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7KFkxGaFa7EJwXh7OYckkQ


Agenda & links to material: 

http://multnomah.granicus.com/GeneratedAgendaViewer.php?view_id=3&event_id=2810


OF PARTICULAR INTEREST: 

10:20am (approx): 

R.2a

BUDGET MODIFICATION # JOHS-005-22: Appropriating $33,795,868 in the Joint Office of Homeless Services for midyear Emergency Investments in Emergency Shelter and Expanding Homeless Services. Presenters: Marc Jolin, Director of Joint Office of Homeless Services & Adam Brown, Business Services Manager. (15 min)


10:50am (approx): 

R.3

BUDGET MODIFICATION # JOHS-006-22: Appropriating $500,000 for the Emergency Shelter RFPQ program in the Joint Office of Homeless Services for midyear Emergency Investments. Presenters: Marc Jolin, Director of Joint Office of Homeless Services & Adam Brown, Business Services Manager. (10 min)




-------------

III.

AGENDA - 10:00 a.m.


FY 2022 BIT Rebalance - Board Vote

R.1

BUDGET MODIFICATION # NOND-003-22: Increasing the Business Income Tax (BIT) by $30,401,964 to support a mid-year rebalance to make FY 2022 Emergency Investments. Presenter: Christian Elkin, Budget Director; Kimberly Melton, Chief of Staff, Chair’s Office; Serena Cruz, Chief Operating Officer; Leslee Barnes, Preschool and Early Learning Division, DCHS. (20 min)


R.1 Budmod-NOND-003-22


R.2a

BUDGET MODIFICATION # JOHS-005-22: Appropriating $33,795,868 in the Joint Office of Homeless Services for midyear Emergency Investments in Emergency Shelter and Expanding Homeless Services. Presenters: Marc Jolin, Director of Joint Office of Homeless Services & Adam Brown, Business Services Manager. (15 min)


R.2A Budmod-JOHS-005-22 APR & ExpRevFTE


R.2b

BUDGET MODIFICATION # HD-038-22: Appropriation of $2.9 million of One-Time-Only Business Income Tax General Fund for BH and PH. Presenters: Julie Dodge, Interim Director, Behavioral Health Jessica Guernsey, Director, Public Health. (15 min)


R.2B Budmod-HD-038


R.3

BUDGET MODIFICATION # JOHS-006-22: Appropriating $500,000 for the Emergency Shelter RFPQ program in the Joint Office of Homeless Services for midyear Emergency Investments. Presenters: Marc Jolin, Director of Joint Office of Homeless Services & Adam Brown, Business Services Manager. (10 min)


R.3 Budmod-JOHS-006-22 APR & ExpRevFTE


R.4

BUDGET MODIFICATION # MCSO-002-22: BIT Emergency Investments Gun Violence Reduction. Presenter: Nicole Morrisey O’Donnell, Undersheriff. (10 min)


R.4 BudMod-MCSO-002


R.5

BUDGET MODIFICATION # NOND-004-22: Appropriating $400,000 for the Local Public Safety Coordinating Council’s Transforming Justice Initiative. Presenters: Abbey Stamp, Executive Director, Local Public Safety Coordinating Council. (10 min)


R.5 Budmod-NOND-004-22


IV.

BOARD COMMENT - 11:20 a.m.

BC.1

Opportunity as time allows, for the Commissioners to provide comment on non-agenda items.

V.

ADJOURNMENT - 11:25 a.m.




--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


FW: WeShinePDX hopes to bring micro-villages for homeless to all Portland neighborhoods"

Tim McCormick
 

"Group hopes to bring micro-villages for homeless to all Portland neighborhoods." 
by Angelica Thornton, KATU, Nov 2nd 2021
Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 2.47.14 PM.png
[this group and project sought funding this year from City and County homelessness funding program, with support from County Commissioner Sharon Meieran, but was denied, as article discusses.
See WeShinePDX's November newsletter, describing many activities, asks, and ways you can help. Note, WeShinePDX started as a sponsored project of Northeast Coalition of Neighborhoods, like my new group Housing Alternatives Network, through which I support this and other projects/work. -tm]. 
Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 2.47.43 PM.png
"PORTLAND, Ore. — Homeless villages in every Portland neighborhood; sounds like something that would never fly, right? But wait until you hear the pitch. The idea is winning people over, but the non-profit behind it needs help making it happen.

"Spend just a little bit of time with Jan McManus, and you'll see, she cares deeply about her community. Not just her neighbors in houses, but the ones who live in tents a few blocks away at Laurelhurst Park. The retired social worker has had a front-row seat to this worsening humanitarian crisis for two years now.

"'I feel so bad for the neighbors, but I also feel so so bad for the people trying to survive out there and having so few options,' said McManus.

"She felt bad, so she did something. She set up meetings. Not just with people in Laurelhurst, but from all over the city, with social workers, addiction nurses, urban planners, and people who've experienced homelessness themselves."
[...]

B/cc: 
Angelica Thornton, KATA - athornton@...
Jan McManus, WeShinePDX - janettmcmanus@...
Sharon Meieran, Mult. Co. Commissioner - district1@...
Village Collaborative national Facebook group
--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


Re: TODAY 3-5pm, A Home For Everyone, Coordinating Board mtg - watch &/or testify

Jeff Liddicoat
 

What I don’t understand is why rather than sweeping all people they can’t just enforce existing laws and cite those actually guilty of offensive littering or public deification.  And even if temporary, the addition of outdoor toilets in high camping areas wouldn’t hurt.
Of course sweeps aren’t really about solving any of the specific problems associated with camping. Instead it’s just a broad crush stroke
of harassment and dispersal. Obviously merely pushing the problem to another part of town is meaningless. Indeed, when there is no discernment between law abiding respectful campers and those who make these messes - eventually people can’t help but wonder why they should try to keep their camps clean and their waste disposal practices proper if no matter what all that happens is they get swept and swept again.
Sweeps are not only unfair they are a threat to the health and even the survival of our neighbors who house themselves outside.

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 3:02 PM John Elizalde <john_elizalde@...> wrote:
worse than sweeps?  The city rousted 4 tents from between 11th and 12th on SW Taylor recently.  They did so by installing 14 bike racks!  Yes, 14 in the western 1/2 of the block.  There was no legitimate reason for sweeping so the city found that bicyclists were clamoring for 14 new parking spaces across from First Baptist church.  Crazy! And inhumane.

 Backstory?  The shop owner at the corner of 11/Taylor had legitimate complaints about people soiling her building doorway and otherwise making her customers uncomfortable.  She raised hell and got a response.  14 bike racks. 

John Elizalde
503 740 9810


Re: TODAY 3-5pm, A Home For Everyone, Coordinating Board mtg - watch &/or testify

John Elizalde
 

worse than sweeps?  The city rousted 4 tents from between 11th and 12th on SW Taylor recently.  They did so by installing 14 bike racks!  Yes, 14 in the western 1/2 of the block.  There was no legitimate reason for sweeping so the city found that bicyclists were clamoring for 14 new parking spaces across from First Baptist church.  Crazy! And inhumane.

 Backstory?  The shop owner at the corner of 11/Taylor had legitimate complaints about people soiling her building doorway and otherwise making her customers uncomfortable.  She raised hell and got a response.  14 bike racks. 

John Elizalde
503 740 9810


Register NOW to testify at Weds 2pm city Fall BMP (budget revision) hearing

Tim McCormick
 

Want to speak up about City of Portland budget priorities, in a relatively listened-to and visible public forum?

You can register NOW to testify at the sole Fall BMP (budget revision) public hearing, this Weds Nov 10th at 2pm. It just opened, the slots are [ostensibly] first-come, first-served, and they'll likely all get reserved well before the hearing. 

Go to:
https://www.portland.gov/council/agenda, then scroll down to Weds 2pm section, click Wednesday Afternoon Registration. 

You can also provide written testimony at:

To increase impact, you can mention you're part of PDX Shelter Forum, or other group(s) you support. If you'd like any help/discussion on how to prepare and what you might say, you are welcome to post to this group or contact me.

CAVEAT
Indications are, Mayor Wheeler and allies on the Council (here, likely at least Commissioners Dan Ryan and Mingus Mapps) may likely have already secured a voting majority for what they proposed this week (see Background below) and so the hearings will not alter the outcome. 

This is often true of public hearings and meetings, so in a sense they participation theatre, and diversion. However, you can still look at them as of use in signalling, and in stage-setting for future decisions, etc.

BACKGROUND



--
--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


Re: TODAY 3-5pm, A Home For Everyone, Coordinating Board mtg - watch &/or testify

Jayme Delson
 

This has been standard procedure for the last 40 years, no doubt more.

Unless we can generate some widespread collaboration, spearheading participant driven, uplifting, permanent living, and dare i say livelihood opportunities for an increasing majority, and especially the most in need, such as people with no home at all, i sadly see little evidence  for change.
If we can spearhead such a quest, i see gov and the private sector then providing the no skin off their back help, that they can offer, and we could use well.  

On 11/4/2021 2:24 PM, Tim McCormick wrote:

Exactly, Joseph. There's a huge windfall of funding, and it's being directed exclusively to new street outreach particularly cleanup/clearance, and congregate shelter that we know much of unhoused population won't go to. While still NOT creating safe, legal places sufficient for everyone to be, non-criminalized. 

Thousands of Portland's most needy and marginalized people continue to live in daily fear, denied the most basic rights of security and space, while huge spending goes to new salaries and contracts to the sector managing it.  

Meanwhile, the houseless and wide swathes of allied community are eager and ready to work on, and are working on, more self-determining, self-governed "spaces of hope", places of regeneration -- how are the city & county priorities/policies helping this? 

I testified to these points at A Home For Everyone, Coordinating Council, yesterday: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FCoRD4Jc0EJN1ttgHSW7yNIU70EUUGl7/view?usp=sharing
including raising the question of how this direction could meet muster with Boise v. Martin court ruling and new Oregon law HB 3115 which will soon make city laws widely challengeable if they enable camp clearances in the absence of sufficient alternative legal places to be. 


** CITY COUNCIL BUDGET WORK SESSION - 2PM TODAY **

Today at 2pm, the Portland City Council will be holding a vitally important work session around the Fall Budget Monitoring Process (Fall BMP) to discuss how we should spend one time funds available to address top priorities like safety and houselessness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONfzDBMgAOs.

As usual and increasingly so with public meetings, there is no public chat or means of peer-to-peer contact/visibility. 

SUGGESTION, for this and other public meetings: use social media especially Twitter and use HASHTAG #pdxmtg (following the practice widely & helpfully used in Oakland & Berkeley, with #oakmtg and #berkmtg). 

RIGHT NOW Joann Hardesty is critiquing the budget plan on homelessness.

--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 12:30 PM Joseph Purkey <jpurkey@...> wrote:
I wish they would stop wasting money on sweeps until people actually have somewhere better to go. That continues to feel like throwing money away to make lives more difficult when people are already clearly struggling.

Joseph Purkey, Principal
Convergence Architecture
Pronouns: he/him/his
7302 N Richmond Ave | Portland, OR 97203
tel. 503.308.1028, ext. 102 
| cell 503.752.8349
www.convergencearch.com



On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 1:22 PM Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:
JOINING 
from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device:
 Please click this URL to join. https://multco-us.zoom.us/j/97107196140?pwd=b3VPSkpxT3A5V0xKcU03V1pnVnFLdz09
 Passcode: AHFECB21!

Or One tap mobile:
 +12532158782,,97107196140#,,,,*140791598#  

Or join by phone:
 US: +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 558 8656
 Webinar ID: 971 0719 6140
 Passcode: 140791598

AGENDA - NOV 3

Time |  Agenda Item | Presenter | Action 
5 min Welcome - Board Co-Chairs - Informational 
10 min Introductions All - Informational 
10 min Open for Public Comment: Up to five people, two minute limit per person. All - Discussion 
20 min Governance Presentation - Marc/Josh - Informational 
40 min Governance Discussion - Marc/Josh - Discussion 
30 min Budget Feedback - Josh/Marc - Informational/ Discussion 
5 min Additional Public Comment All - Discussion 
5 min General Updates & Announcements - All - Informational

Budget materials for meeting aren't [yet] posted, but here's some media coverage for overview: 
Basically, $38M of new city/county spending on homelessness, Mayor Wheeler and Chair Kafoury are proposing a joint spending plan that is primarily street outreach and cleanup services, and congregate shelter. 


---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Google Calendar <calendar-notification@...>
Date: Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 12:59 PM
Subject: Notification: Weds 3-5pm: A Home For Everyone - Coordinating Board @ Wed Nov 3, 2021 3pm - 5pm (PDT) (PDX Shelter Forum)
To: Portland Shelter Forum <pdxshelterforum@...>

Weds 3-5pm: A Home For Everyone - Coordinating Board

When
Wed Nov 3, 2021 3pm – 5pm Pacific Time - Los Angeles
Where
get Zoom link at http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board -> mtg date -> "meeting aenda" (map)
Calendar
PDX Shelter Forum
Who
(Guest list has been hidden at organizer's request)
HOW TO CONNECT:  use Zoom link 1) go to http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board 2) scroll down to "Meeting Materials" 3) under current meeting date, click on "meeting agenda"  4) click on underlined link in text: "Follow this link to view the meeting as a member of the public from your computer or the Zoom mobile app."  April 7 agenda:  https://static1.squarespace.com/static/566631e8c21b864679fff4de/t/6065f656abf34c7826ecd3c5/1617294935519/CB_Agenda_20210407.pdf. HOW TO GIVE PUBLIC COMMENT Starting with the April 7 meeting, "Members of the public will not be able to participate directly outside of public comments, but will be able to hear and see meeting participants and shared materials. The meeting will be accessible 15 minutes prior to the start time. "Attendees may submit comment in writing to AHFE@... to be read aloud by Joint Office Staff, or provide their comment verbally. Time allotted for public comments is up to five people, two minute limit per person. An additional period for public comment has been added at the end of the agenda."  [formerly, public participants could use the Zoom chat channel to comment, ask questions, discuss, or add notes. For spoken Public Comment, it is not quite clear how speaking slots are now requested or assigned - try emailing AHFE@...?].  BACKGROUND A Home For Everyone is Multnomah County's homelessness policy coordinating body and Federally-recognized Continuum of Care. See: http://ahomeforeveryone.net/. It has a Coordinating board that reports to a smaller Executive Board.  See http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board for Board members, Agendas, meeting materials (posted some time before meeting, like day of), recordings (posted usually within week after meeting) 

------------------------- this is an event listing from PDX Shelter Forum events calendar. You can view or subscribe to this calendar: 

Going (pdxshelterforum@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account pdxshelterforum@... because you set a notification for this event on the calendar PDX Shelter Forum.

You can change your notifications for specific events in the event details page in https://calendar.google.com/calendar/.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to send a response to the organizer and be added to the guest list, or invite others regardless of their own invitation status, or to modify your RSVP. Learn More.



--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


Re: TODAY 3-5pm, A Home For Everyone, Coordinating Board mtg - watch &/or testify

Tim McCormick
 

sorry meant to say "new funding [is]...directed almost exclusively to new street outreach and congregate shelter" -- there is some funding for motels and other things. But definitely not the main thrust of it. 

But, TUNE IN to City Council Work Session right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONfzDBMgAOs
RIGHT NOW Joann Hardesty is hammering on the budget plan on homelessness, clearly skeptical.

--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 2:25 PM Tim McCormick via groups.io <tmccormick=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Exactly, Joseph. There's a huge windfall of funding, and it's being directed exclusively to new street outreach particularly cleanup/clearance, and congregate shelter that we know much of unhoused population won't go to. While still NOT creating safe, legal places sufficient for everyone to be, non-criminalized. 

Thousands of Portland's most needy and marginalized people continue to live in daily fear, denied the most basic rights of security and space, while huge spending goes to new salaries and contracts to the sector managing it.  

Meanwhile, the houseless and wide swathes of allied community are eager and ready to work on, and are working on, more self-determining, self-governed "spaces of hope", places of regeneration -- how are the city & county priorities/policies helping this? 

I testified to these points at A Home For Everyone, Coordinating Council, yesterday: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FCoRD4Jc0EJN1ttgHSW7yNIU70EUUGl7/view?usp=sharing
including raising the question of how this direction could meet muster with Boise v. Martin court ruling and new Oregon law HB 3115 which will soon make city laws widely challengeable if they enable camp clearances in the absence of sufficient alternative legal places to be. 


** CITY COUNCIL BUDGET WORK SESSION - 2PM TODAY **

Today at 2pm, the Portland City Council will be holding a vitally important work session around the Fall Budget Monitoring Process (Fall BMP) to discuss how we should spend one time funds available to address top priorities like safety and houselessness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONfzDBMgAOs.

As usual and increasingly so with public meetings, there is no public chat or means of peer-to-peer contact/visibility. 

SUGGESTION, for this and other public meetings: use social media especially Twitter and use HASHTAG #pdxmtg (following the practice widely & helpfully used in Oakland & Berkeley, with #oakmtg and #berkmtg). 

RIGHT NOW Joann Hardesty is critiquing the budget plan on homelessness.

--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 12:30 PM Joseph Purkey <jpurkey@...> wrote:
I wish they would stop wasting money on sweeps until people actually have somewhere better to go. That continues to feel like throwing money away to make lives more difficult when people are already clearly struggling.

Joseph Purkey, Principal
Convergence Architecture
Pronouns: he/him/his
7302 N Richmond Ave | Portland, OR 97203
tel. 503.308.1028, ext. 102 
| cell 503.752.8349
www.convergencearch.com



On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 1:22 PM Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:
JOINING 
from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device:
 Please click this URL to join. https://multco-us.zoom.us/j/97107196140?pwd=b3VPSkpxT3A5V0xKcU03V1pnVnFLdz09
 Passcode: AHFECB21!

Or One tap mobile:
 +12532158782,,97107196140#,,,,*140791598#  

Or join by phone:
 US: +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 558 8656
 Webinar ID: 971 0719 6140
 Passcode: 140791598

AGENDA - NOV 3

Time |  Agenda Item | Presenter | Action 
5 min Welcome - Board Co-Chairs - Informational 
10 min Introductions All - Informational 
10 min Open for Public Comment: Up to five people, two minute limit per person. All - Discussion 
20 min Governance Presentation - Marc/Josh - Informational 
40 min Governance Discussion - Marc/Josh - Discussion 
30 min Budget Feedback - Josh/Marc - Informational/ Discussion 
5 min Additional Public Comment All - Discussion 
5 min General Updates & Announcements - All - Informational

Budget materials for meeting aren't [yet] posted, but here's some media coverage for overview: 
Basically, $38M of new city/county spending on homelessness, Mayor Wheeler and Chair Kafoury are proposing a joint spending plan that is primarily street outreach and cleanup services, and congregate shelter. 


---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Google Calendar <calendar-notification@...>
Date: Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 12:59 PM
Subject: Notification: Weds 3-5pm: A Home For Everyone - Coordinating Board @ Wed Nov 3, 2021 3pm - 5pm (PDT) (PDX Shelter Forum)
To: Portland Shelter Forum <pdxshelterforum@...>

Weds 3-5pm: A Home For Everyone - Coordinating Board

When
Wed Nov 3, 2021 3pm – 5pm Pacific Time - Los Angeles
Where
get Zoom link at http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board -> mtg date -> "meeting aenda" (map)
Calendar
PDX Shelter Forum
Who
(Guest list has been hidden at organizer's request)
HOW TO CONNECT:  use Zoom link
1) go to http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board
2) scroll down to "Meeting Materials"
3) under current meeting date, click on "meeting agenda" 
4) click on underlined link in text: "Follow this link to view the meeting as a member of the public from your computer or the Zoom mobile app." 

April 7 agenda: 
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/566631e8c21b864679fff4de/t/6065f656abf34c7826ecd3c5/1617294935519/CB_Agenda_20210407.pdf.

HOW TO GIVE PUBLIC COMMENT
Starting with the April 7 meeting, "Members of the public will not be able to participate directly outside of public comments, but will be able to hear and see meeting participants and shared materials. The meeting will be accessible 15 minutes prior to the start time.

"Attendees may submit comment in writing to AHFE@... to be read aloud by Joint Office Staff, or provide their comment verbally. Time allotted for public comments is up to five people, two minute limit per person. An additional period for public comment has been added at the end of the agenda." 

[formerly, public participants could use the Zoom chat channel to comment, ask questions, discuss, or add notes. For spoken Public Comment, it is not quite clear how speaking slots are now requested or assigned - try emailing AHFE@...?]. 

BACKGROUND
A Home For Everyone is Multnomah County's homelessness policy coordinating body and Federally-recognized Continuum of Care. See: http://ahomeforeveryone.net/. It has a Coordinating board that reports to a smaller Executive Board. 

See http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board for Board members, Agendas, meeting materials (posted some time before meeting, like day of), recordings (posted usually within week after meeting) 

-------------------------
this is an event listing from PDX Shelter Forum events calendar. You can view or subscribe to this calendar: 

Going (pdxshelterforum@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account pdxshelterforum@... because you set a notification for this event on the calendar PDX Shelter Forum.

You can change your notifications for specific events in the event details page in https://calendar.google.com/calendar/.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to send a response to the organizer and be added to the guest list, or invite others regardless of their own invitation status, or to modify your RSVP. Learn More.



--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


Re: TODAY 3-5pm, A Home For Everyone, Coordinating Board mtg - watch &/or testify

Tim McCormick
 

Exactly, Joseph. There's a huge windfall of funding, and it's being directed exclusively to new street outreach particularly cleanup/clearance, and congregate shelter that we know much of unhoused population won't go to. While still NOT creating safe, legal places sufficient for everyone to be, non-criminalized. 

Thousands of Portland's most needy and marginalized people continue to live in daily fear, denied the most basic rights of security and space, while huge spending goes to new salaries and contracts to the sector managing it.  

Meanwhile, the houseless and wide swathes of allied community are eager and ready to work on, and are working on, more self-determining, self-governed "spaces of hope", places of regeneration -- how are the city & county priorities/policies helping this? 

I testified to these points at A Home For Everyone, Coordinating Council, yesterday: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FCoRD4Jc0EJN1ttgHSW7yNIU70EUUGl7/view?usp=sharing
including raising the question of how this direction could meet muster with Boise v. Martin court ruling and new Oregon law HB 3115 which will soon make city laws widely challengeable if they enable camp clearances in the absence of sufficient alternative legal places to be. 


** CITY COUNCIL BUDGET WORK SESSION - 2PM TODAY **

Today at 2pm, the Portland City Council will be holding a vitally important work session around the Fall Budget Monitoring Process (Fall BMP) to discuss how we should spend one time funds available to address top priorities like safety and houselessness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONfzDBMgAOs.

As usual and increasingly so with public meetings, there is no public chat or means of peer-to-peer contact/visibility. 

SUGGESTION, for this and other public meetings: use social media especially Twitter and use HASHTAG #pdxmtg (following the practice widely & helpfully used in Oakland & Berkeley, with #oakmtg and #berkmtg). 

RIGHT NOW Joann Hardesty is critiquing the budget plan on homelessness.

--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 12:30 PM Joseph Purkey <jpurkey@...> wrote:
I wish they would stop wasting money on sweeps until people actually have somewhere better to go. That continues to feel like throwing money away to make lives more difficult when people are already clearly struggling.

Joseph Purkey, Principal
Convergence Architecture
Pronouns: he/him/his
7302 N Richmond Ave | Portland, OR 97203
tel. 503.308.1028, ext. 102 
| cell 503.752.8349
www.convergencearch.com



On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 1:22 PM Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:
JOINING 
from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device:
 Please click this URL to join. https://multco-us.zoom.us/j/97107196140?pwd=b3VPSkpxT3A5V0xKcU03V1pnVnFLdz09
 Passcode: AHFECB21!

Or One tap mobile:
 +12532158782,,97107196140#,,,,*140791598#  

Or join by phone:
 US: +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 558 8656
 Webinar ID: 971 0719 6140
 Passcode: 140791598

AGENDA - NOV 3

Time |  Agenda Item | Presenter | Action 
5 min Welcome - Board Co-Chairs - Informational 
10 min Introductions All - Informational 
10 min Open for Public Comment: Up to five people, two minute limit per person. All - Discussion 
20 min Governance Presentation - Marc/Josh - Informational 
40 min Governance Discussion - Marc/Josh - Discussion 
30 min Budget Feedback - Josh/Marc - Informational/ Discussion 
5 min Additional Public Comment All - Discussion 
5 min General Updates & Announcements - All - Informational

Budget materials for meeting aren't [yet] posted, but here's some media coverage for overview: 
Basically, $38M of new city/county spending on homelessness, Mayor Wheeler and Chair Kafoury are proposing a joint spending plan that is primarily street outreach and cleanup services, and congregate shelter. 


---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Google Calendar <calendar-notification@...>
Date: Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 12:59 PM
Subject: Notification: Weds 3-5pm: A Home For Everyone - Coordinating Board @ Wed Nov 3, 2021 3pm - 5pm (PDT) (PDX Shelter Forum)
To: Portland Shelter Forum <pdxshelterforum@...>

Weds 3-5pm: A Home For Everyone - Coordinating Board

When
Wed Nov 3, 2021 3pm – 5pm Pacific Time - Los Angeles
Where
get Zoom link at http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board -> mtg date -> "meeting aenda" (map)
Calendar
PDX Shelter Forum
Who
(Guest list has been hidden at organizer's request)
HOW TO CONNECT:  use Zoom link
1) go to http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board
2) scroll down to "Meeting Materials"
3) under current meeting date, click on "meeting agenda" 
4) click on underlined link in text: "Follow this link to view the meeting as a member of the public from your computer or the Zoom mobile app." 

April 7 agenda: 
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/566631e8c21b864679fff4de/t/6065f656abf34c7826ecd3c5/1617294935519/CB_Agenda_20210407.pdf.

HOW TO GIVE PUBLIC COMMENT
Starting with the April 7 meeting, "Members of the public will not be able to participate directly outside of public comments, but will be able to hear and see meeting participants and shared materials. The meeting will be accessible 15 minutes prior to the start time.

"Attendees may submit comment in writing to AHFE@... to be read aloud by Joint Office Staff, or provide their comment verbally. Time allotted for public comments is up to five people, two minute limit per person. An additional period for public comment has been added at the end of the agenda." 

[formerly, public participants could use the Zoom chat channel to comment, ask questions, discuss, or add notes. For spoken Public Comment, it is not quite clear how speaking slots are now requested or assigned - try emailing AHFE@...?]. 

BACKGROUND
A Home For Everyone is Multnomah County's homelessness policy coordinating body and Federally-recognized Continuum of Care. See: http://ahomeforeveryone.net/. It has a Coordinating board that reports to a smaller Executive Board. 

See http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board for Board members, Agendas, meeting materials (posted some time before meeting, like day of), recordings (posted usually within week after meeting) 

-------------------------
this is an event listing from PDX Shelter Forum events calendar. You can view or subscribe to this calendar: 

Going (pdxshelterforum@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account pdxshelterforum@... because you set a notification for this event on the calendar PDX Shelter Forum.

You can change your notifications for specific events in the event details page in https://calendar.google.com/calendar/.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to send a response to the organizer and be added to the guest list, or invite others regardless of their own invitation status, or to modify your RSVP. Learn More.



--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


Re: TODAY 3-5pm, A Home For Everyone, Coordinating Board mtg - watch &/or testify

Joseph Purkey
 

I wish they would stop wasting money on sweeps until people actually have somewhere better to go. That continues to feel like throwing money away to make lives more difficult when people are already clearly struggling.

Joseph Purkey, Principal
Convergence Architecture
Pronouns: he/him/his
7302 N Richmond Ave | Portland, OR 97203
tel. 503.308.1028, ext. 102 
| cell 503.752.8349
www.convergencearch.com



On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 1:22 PM Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:
JOINING 
from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device:
 Please click this URL to join. https://multco-us.zoom.us/j/97107196140?pwd=b3VPSkpxT3A5V0xKcU03V1pnVnFLdz09
 Passcode: AHFECB21!

Or One tap mobile:
 +12532158782,,97107196140#,,,,*140791598#  

Or join by phone:
 US: +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 558 8656
 Webinar ID: 971 0719 6140
 Passcode: 140791598

AGENDA - NOV 3

Time |  Agenda Item | Presenter | Action 
5 min Welcome - Board Co-Chairs - Informational 
10 min Introductions All - Informational 
10 min Open for Public Comment: Up to five people, two minute limit per person. All - Discussion 
20 min Governance Presentation - Marc/Josh - Informational 
40 min Governance Discussion - Marc/Josh - Discussion 
30 min Budget Feedback - Josh/Marc - Informational/ Discussion 
5 min Additional Public Comment All - Discussion 
5 min General Updates & Announcements - All - Informational

Budget materials for meeting aren't [yet] posted, but here's some media coverage for overview: 
Basically, $38M of new city/county spending on homelessness, Mayor Wheeler and Chair Kafoury are proposing a joint spending plan that is primarily street outreach and cleanup services, and congregate shelter. 


---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Google Calendar <calendar-notification@...>
Date: Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 12:59 PM
Subject: Notification: Weds 3-5pm: A Home For Everyone - Coordinating Board @ Wed Nov 3, 2021 3pm - 5pm (PDT) (PDX Shelter Forum)
To: Portland Shelter Forum <pdxshelterforum@...>

Weds 3-5pm: A Home For Everyone - Coordinating Board

When
Wed Nov 3, 2021 3pm – 5pm Pacific Time - Los Angeles
Where
get Zoom link at http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board -> mtg date -> "meeting aenda" (map)
Calendar
PDX Shelter Forum
Who
(Guest list has been hidden at organizer's request)
HOW TO CONNECT:  use Zoom link
1) go to http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board
2) scroll down to "Meeting Materials"
3) under current meeting date, click on "meeting agenda" 
4) click on underlined link in text: "Follow this link to view the meeting as a member of the public from your computer or the Zoom mobile app." 

April 7 agenda: 
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/566631e8c21b864679fff4de/t/6065f656abf34c7826ecd3c5/1617294935519/CB_Agenda_20210407.pdf.

HOW TO GIVE PUBLIC COMMENT
Starting with the April 7 meeting, "Members of the public will not be able to participate directly outside of public comments, but will be able to hear and see meeting participants and shared materials. The meeting will be accessible 15 minutes prior to the start time.

"Attendees may submit comment in writing to AHFE@... to be read aloud by Joint Office Staff, or provide their comment verbally. Time allotted for public comments is up to five people, two minute limit per person. An additional period for public comment has been added at the end of the agenda." 

[formerly, public participants could use the Zoom chat channel to comment, ask questions, discuss, or add notes. For spoken Public Comment, it is not quite clear how speaking slots are now requested or assigned - try emailing AHFE@...?]. 

BACKGROUND
A Home For Everyone is Multnomah County's homelessness policy coordinating body and Federally-recognized Continuum of Care. See: http://ahomeforeveryone.net/. It has a Coordinating board that reports to a smaller Executive Board. 

See http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board for Board members, Agendas, meeting materials (posted some time before meeting, like day of), recordings (posted usually within week after meeting) 

-------------------------
this is an event listing from PDX Shelter Forum events calendar. You can view or subscribe to this calendar: 

Going (pdxshelterforum@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account pdxshelterforum@... because you set a notification for this event on the calendar PDX Shelter Forum.

You can change your notifications for specific events in the event details page in https://calendar.google.com/calendar/.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to send a response to the organizer and be added to the guest list, or invite others regardless of their own invitation status, or to modify your RSVP. Learn More.



--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


TODAY 3-5pm, A Home For Everyone, Coordinating Board mtg - watch &/or testify

Tim McCormick
 

JOINING 
from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device:
 Please click this URL to join. https://multco-us.zoom.us/j/97107196140?pwd=b3VPSkpxT3A5V0xKcU03V1pnVnFLdz09
 Passcode: AHFECB21!

Or One tap mobile:
 +12532158782,,97107196140#,,,,*140791598#  

Or join by phone:
 US: +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 558 8656
 Webinar ID: 971 0719 6140
 Passcode: 140791598

AGENDA - NOV 3

Time |  Agenda Item | Presenter | Action 
5 min Welcome - Board Co-Chairs - Informational 
10 min Introductions All - Informational 
10 min Open for Public Comment: Up to five people, two minute limit per person. All - Discussion 
20 min Governance Presentation - Marc/Josh - Informational 
40 min Governance Discussion - Marc/Josh - Discussion 
30 min Budget Feedback - Josh/Marc - Informational/ Discussion 
5 min Additional Public Comment All - Discussion 
5 min General Updates & Announcements - All - Informational

Budget materials for meeting aren't [yet] posted, but here's some media coverage for overview: 
Basically, $38M of new city/county spending on homelessness, Mayor Wheeler and Chair Kafoury are proposing a joint spending plan that is primarily street outreach and cleanup services, and congregate shelter. 


---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Google Calendar <calendar-notification@...>
Date: Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 12:59 PM
Subject: Notification: Weds 3-5pm: A Home For Everyone - Coordinating Board @ Wed Nov 3, 2021 3pm - 5pm (PDT) (PDX Shelter Forum)
To: Portland Shelter Forum <pdxshelterforum@...>

Weds 3-5pm: A Home For Everyone - Coordinating Board

When
Wed Nov 3, 2021 3pm – 5pm Pacific Time - Los Angeles
Where
get Zoom link at http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board -> mtg date -> "meeting aenda" (map)
Calendar
PDX Shelter Forum
Who
(Guest list has been hidden at organizer's request)
HOW TO CONNECT:  use Zoom link
1) go to http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board
2) scroll down to "Meeting Materials"
3) under current meeting date, click on "meeting agenda" 
4) click on underlined link in text: "Follow this link to view the meeting as a member of the public from your computer or the Zoom mobile app." 

April 7 agenda: 
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/566631e8c21b864679fff4de/t/6065f656abf34c7826ecd3c5/1617294935519/CB_Agenda_20210407.pdf.

HOW TO GIVE PUBLIC COMMENT
Starting with the April 7 meeting, "Members of the public will not be able to participate directly outside of public comments, but will be able to hear and see meeting participants and shared materials. The meeting will be accessible 15 minutes prior to the start time.

"Attendees may submit comment in writing to AHFE@... to be read aloud by Joint Office Staff, or provide their comment verbally. Time allotted for public comments is up to five people, two minute limit per person. An additional period for public comment has been added at the end of the agenda." 

[formerly, public participants could use the Zoom chat channel to comment, ask questions, discuss, or add notes. For spoken Public Comment, it is not quite clear how speaking slots are now requested or assigned - try emailing AHFE@...?]. 

BACKGROUND
A Home For Everyone is Multnomah County's homelessness policy coordinating body and Federally-recognized Continuum of Care. See: http://ahomeforeveryone.net/. It has a Coordinating board that reports to a smaller Executive Board. 

See http://ahomeforeveryone.net/coordinating-board for Board members, Agendas, meeting materials (posted some time before meeting, like day of), recordings (posted usually within week after meeting) 

-------------------------
this is an event listing from PDX Shelter Forum events calendar. You can view or subscribe to this calendar: 

Going (pdxshelterforum@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account pdxshelterforum@... because you set a notification for this event on the calendar PDX Shelter Forum.

You can change your notifications for specific events in the event details page in https://calendar.google.com/calendar/.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to send a response to the organizer and be added to the guest list, or invite others regardless of their own invitation status, or to modify your RSVP. Learn More.



--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative


Re: People For Portland Town Hall 6-? pm today: Public Safety Solutions

Sue Gemmell
 

I attended. The event seemed very contrived. Maria Smithson implied that all 1000 attendees supported P4P, and the mayor, and more police ... and I am skeptical. Speakers continued to be very light on details. 

My unanswered question: "What would the 300 officers do exactly that would improve safety? Please provide specific details, and illustrate how these activities have proven to reduce crime."

I know, I get hung up on data and evidence.

Sue


--

Sue Gemmell (she/ella)

Online Communities and Knowledge Management

suegemmell.com


People For Portland Town Hall 6-? pm today: Public Safety Solutions

Tim McCormick
 

2021-11-02_People-For-Portland_Town-Hall_public-safety.jpg
Zoom link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/89388846384?pwd=TVExZXdTeUI5WVJLb1VpcG9MbnhHZz09 Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1226765564495541

Google Calendar link: https://calendar.google.com/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=MTBqOWhwa2dsdmw2ajVlaWIxamoxM3NvMDUgdG1jY29ybWlja0Bt&tmsrc=tmccormick%40gmail.com.

Note: end time was not stated by organizers. [-tm]. 

"Rising crime and violence are impacting every neighborhood in Portland. We want to discuss solutions. Please join us for a virtual community town hall to listen, learn, and discuss possible solutions to restoring public safety in Portland. 

"We’ve invited a panel of three experts who each bring first-hand experience to the discussion and we want to hear your concerns and ideas. Our panelists include: 
"Our town hall discussion will focus on the role that police have to play, the role of non-police street response teams, and the role that citizen advocates can play in reforming our public safety and criminal justice systems.

"Join us for this opportunity to learn, listen, and share ideas for restoring peace and safety in the city we love.

"This will be a Zoom town hall and will also be streamed live on Facebook. Please RSVP [on Facebook? -tm] and let us know you're joining!"

-------------------------------------------------------- EMAIL INVITE from People for Portland:

Dear X, Rising crime and violence are impacting every neighborhood in Portland. We want to discuss solutions. Please join us for a virtual community town hall to listen, learn, and discuss possible solutions to restoring public safety in Portland. We’ve invited a panel of three experts who each bring first-hand experience to the discussion and we want to hear your concerns and ideas.

Our town hall discussion will focus on the role that police have to play, the role of non-police street response teams, and the role that citizen advocates can play in reforming our public safety and criminal justice systems. 

Join us for this opportunity to learn, listen, and share ideas for restoring peace and safety in the city we love.

  • WHAT:  People For Portland Public Safety Virtual Town Hall
  • WHEN: Tuesday, November 2nd at 6 PM
  • WHERE:  Zoom and Facebook Live
  • Click HERE for the Zoom link 
  • RSVP: Facebook Event Page. Let us know you’re coming!

Do you have a specific topic or concern you would like to see discussed during this virtual Public Safety Town Hall? Email Maria@...,  [Maria Smithson, Gallatin Public Affairs, in Eugene. -tm] to share a question you would like answered. 

Please join us for this important community discussion! We look forward to seeing you, 

-People for Portland --------------------------------------------------------


--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network
+1 503.334.1894. Zoom personal room.
Director Oregon Cooperative Housing Network, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative

Bcc:
Maria Smithson - PFP / Gallatin Public Affairs
Kevin Looper - PFP / Wheelhouse Northwest 
Dan Lavey - PFP / Gallatin Public Affairs
[note to all: you can reply or post to the full PDX Shelter Forum group if you'd like, by Replying to All to this email, or emailing to pdxshelterforum@groups.io. We invite open discussion between officials, leaders, staff, publics, and especially, those closest to homelessness].

121 - 140 of 861