Date   

Re: suggest topic/presentation/Qs for AHFE Safety off the Streets workgroup Feb 16?

Tim McCormick
 

yes, sorry, Tues Feb 16, 3-5pm, not Weds as stated in earlier email, is the next AHFE SOtS Workgroup. That's two weeks from today.


On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 12:32 PM Sara Chan <saraloochan72@...> wrote:
February 17 is a Tuesday 


On Feb 2, 2021, at 12:13 PM, Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:


To: PDX Shelter Forum list
Bcc: Paul Stark, AHFE SoS steering committee

On Weds Feb 16, 3-5pm is the next monthly, open meeting of the Safety Off the Streets Workgroup, a subcommittee of the Coordinating Board of A Home For Everyone: https://meet.google.com/svq-vkja-ykr.

Does anyone have a topic, item, or question they think ought to be brought up at this? For example, plans for future villages, or Safe Parking projects? 

To suggest a topic or item to comment on, one should email AHFE
afhe@... plus Paul Stark Paul.Stark@... of MultCo / AHFE who helps coordinate the meetings, because about two weeks before meeting (i.e. TODAY!) they have a steering committee meeting to set the agenda. This is according to Paul, whom I asked during the last meeting.

Perhaps we could just request a brief spot on the agenda to introduce PDX Shelter Forum to attendees and recap major topics/Qs we've been discussing?

<Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.59.39 AM.png>

  
Background: As noted in thread two weeks ago.
SOS Workgroup is the shelter, immediate-response focused part, and advisory group, of the county homelessness administrative authority (A Home For Everyone). See more about it:  http://ahomeforeveryone.net/safety-off-the-streets-workgroup.

thanks, Tim. 

--
Tim McCormick
Moderator PDX Shelter Forum, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative
Portland, Oregon 

--
--
Tim McCormick
Moderator PDX Shelter Forum, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative
Portland, Oregon 


Re: suggest topic/presentation/Qs for AHFE Safety off the Streets workgroup Feb 16?

Sara Chan
 

February 17 is a Tuesday 


On Feb 2, 2021, at 12:13 PM, Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:


To: PDX Shelter Forum list
Bcc: Paul Stark, AHFE SoS steering committee

On Weds Feb 16, 3-5pm is the next monthly, open meeting of the Safety Off the Streets Workgroup, a subcommittee of the Coordinating Board of A Home For Everyone: https://meet.google.com/svq-vkja-ykr.

Does anyone have a topic, item, or question they think ought to be brought up at this? For example, plans for future villages, or Safe Parking projects? 

To suggest a topic or item to comment on, one should email AHFE
afhe@... plus Paul Stark Paul.Stark@... of MultCo / AHFE who helps coordinate the meetings, because about two weeks before meeting (i.e. TODAY!) they have a steering committee meeting to set the agenda. This is according to Paul, whom I asked during the last meeting.

Perhaps we could just request a brief spot on the agenda to introduce PDX Shelter Forum to attendees and recap major topics/Qs we've been discussing?

<Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.59.39 AM.png>

  
Background: As noted in thread two weeks ago.
SOS Workgroup is the shelter, immediate-response focused part, and advisory group, of the county homelessness administrative authority (A Home For Everyone). See more about it:  http://ahomeforeveryone.net/safety-off-the-streets-workgroup.

thanks, Tim. 

--
Tim McCormick
Moderator PDX Shelter Forum, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative
Portland, Oregon 


suggest topic/presentation/Qs for AHFE Safety off the Streets workgroup Feb 16?

Tim McCormick
 

To: PDX Shelter Forum list
Bcc: Paul Stark, AHFE SoS steering committee

On Weds Feb 16, 3-5pm is the next monthly, open meeting of the Safety Off the Streets Workgroup, a subcommittee of the Coordinating Board of A Home For Everyone: https://meet.google.com/svq-vkja-ykr.

Does anyone have a topic, item, or question they think ought to be brought up at this? For example, plans for future villages, or Safe Parking projects? 

To suggest a topic or item to comment on, one should email AHFE
afhe@... plus Paul Stark Paul.Stark@... of MultCo / AHFE who helps coordinate the meetings, because about two weeks before meeting (i.e. TODAY!) they have a steering committee meeting to set the agenda. This is according to Paul, whom I asked during the last meeting.

Perhaps we could just request a brief spot on the agenda to introduce PDX Shelter Forum to attendees and recap major topics/Qs we've been discussing?

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.59.39 AM.png
  
Background: As noted in thread two weeks ago.
SOS Workgroup is the shelter, immediate-response focused part, and advisory group, of the county homelessness administrative authority (A Home For Everyone). See more about it:  http://ahomeforeveryone.net/safety-off-the-streets-workgroup.

thanks, Tim. 

--
Tim McCormick
Moderator PDX Shelter Forum, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative
Portland, Oregon 


Re: today 12:30pm at City Hall - Hazelnut Grove gathering and petition presentation

Naida Mosley
 

according to tweet today from @HazelnutGrove:
"We'll also be live streaming on http://Facebook.com/OregonPPC and Instagram @HazelnutGrove"
.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 11:36 AM Houseless First <houselessfirst@...> wrote:
Hazelnut Grove residents working with Poor People's Campaign, Oregon will be gathering starting 12:30pm and presenting their online petition to officials at 1pm (see event guidelines, below).
Sign the petition (I think, you can still sign, it just won't be on the list presented at City Hall): https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/c33f808411c740f5007c6dacefb3e9dfc5466dbf.

View press conference from Saturday Jan 23rd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOr1cK3cjtc.

Background, from petition: 
"Hazelnut Grove, a self-governed tiny cabin village, has provided stable, long-term permanent and transitional housing for dozens of people for more than five years.

But residents of the Hazelnut Grove Village are being threatened with displacement by the city even as the pandemic ravages our community, the Center for Disease Control has encouraged all people to shelter in place, and Multnomah County has enacted and renewed an eviction moratorium.

Self-governed tiny cabin villages provide just one solution to the public health and housing crises. People who are currently sheltering in place in tent and tarp structures, personal pods managed by the city and social service agencies, traditional shelters, RVs and vehicles, and motels should also not be displaced until permanent solutions are provided."


Guidelines from Poor People's Campaign, Oregon: 

at City Hall - 1:00pm

We will gather at City Hall (1200-1220 SW 5th Ave) on Monday afternoon beginning at 12:30pm and begin the program promptly at 1:00pm.

Village residents are calling unhoused and housed eviction defenders together to hear the story of Hazelnut Grove, celebrate the grassroots organizing our community has engaged in during the past month, deliver our collective outrage to Mayor Wheeler and Commissioner Ryan, and demand a sit-down negotiation with the city.

If being in a setting with unhoused and housed people together is new for you, welcome. Please listen well, observe the culture of the Hazelnut Grove community, and follow the lead of Village residents.

Accessibility

  • The program is scheduled to last one hour with no plans to collectively move anywhere after the program is finished.

  • ASL interpretation will be available.

  • We will not enter the building.

  • The public restrooms one block east at Chapman Square Park are supposed to be open.

Safety

  • Please wear a mask and practice social distancing. If you have access, please double mask.

  • There will be people trained in de-escalation in the crowd. If you witness a situation you are not equipped to handle compassionately and safely without judgement, please immediately move away and make space for members of the de-escalation team.

  • Please do not speak to the press. Incorrect and incomplete information shared with press is harmful to Village residents. If you are approached by the press, please refer them to Barbie (resident, Josh (resident), or Peggy (neighbor).

Needs

  • If you would like to make a sign, Hazelnut Grove suggests you choose from any of the following slogans: Save Hazelnut Grove, Everybody's Got a Right to Live, Don't Evict Hazelnut Grove, Don't Destroy Their Homes, Villages are the Solution. Some supporters are cutting signs out of cardboard in the shape of a tiny house.

  • If you have access, please bring small water bottles and snacks in your bag to share with folks around you.

  • If you have extra disposable masks, please bring them to share with people who are without.

  • We are in need of a couple of photographers and videographers. If you are able to offer either, please let us know at oregon@....

Forward Together, Not One Step Back!
Hazelnut Grove Village
Oregon Poor People's Campaign: Portland Circle
Overlook Neighbors



Re: today 12:30pm at City Hall - Hazelnut Grove gathering and petition presentation

Andrew Olshin
 



Thanks, 
Andy Olshin

On Feb 1, 2021, at 11:36 AM, Houseless First <houselessfirst@...> wrote:


Hazelnut Grove residents working with Poor People's Campaign, Oregon will be gathering starting 12:30pm and presenting their online petition to officials at 1pm (see event guidelines, below).
Sign the petition (I think, you can still sign, it just won't be on the list presented at City Hall): https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/c33f808411c740f5007c6dacefb3e9dfc5466dbf.

View press conference from Saturday Jan 23rd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOr1cK3cjtc.

Background, from petition: 
"Hazelnut Grove, a self-governed tiny cabin village, has provided stable, long-term permanent and transitional housing for dozens of people for more than five years.

But residents of the Hazelnut Grove Village are being threatened with displacement by the city even as the pandemic ravages our community, the Center for Disease Control has encouraged all people to shelter in place, and Multnomah County has enacted and renewed an eviction moratorium.

Self-governed tiny cabin villages provide just one solution to the public health and housing crises. People who are currently sheltering in place in tent and tarp structures, personal pods managed by the city and social service agencies, traditional shelters, RVs and vehicles, and motels should also not be displaced until permanent solutions are provided."


Guidelines from Poor People's Campaign, Oregon: 

at City Hall - 1:00pm

We will gather at City Hall (1200-1220 SW 5th Ave) on Monday afternoon beginning at 12:30pm and begin the program promptly at 1:00pm.

Village residents are calling unhoused and housed eviction defenders together to hear the story of Hazelnut Grove, celebrate the grassroots organizing our community has engaged in during the past month, deliver our collective outrage to Mayor Wheeler and Commissioner Ryan, and demand a sit-down negotiation with the city.

If being in a setting with unhoused and housed people together is new for you, welcome. Please listen well, observe the culture of the Hazelnut Grove community, and follow the lead of Village residents.

Accessibility

  • The program is scheduled to last one hour with no plans to collectively move anywhere after the program is finished.

  • ASL interpretation will be available.

  • We will not enter the building.

  • The public restrooms one block east at Chapman Square Park are supposed to be open.

Safety

  • Please wear a mask and practice social distancing. If you have access, please double mask.

  • There will be people trained in de-escalation in the crowd. If you witness a situation you are not equipped to handle compassionately and safely without judgement, please immediately move away and make space for members of the de-escalation team.

  • Please do not speak to the press. Incorrect and incomplete information shared with press is harmful to Village residents. If you are approached by the press, please refer them to Barbie (resident, Josh (resident), or Peggy (neighbor).

Needs

  • If you would like to make a sign, Hazelnut Grove suggests you choose from any of the following slogans: Save Hazelnut Grove, Everybody's Got a Right to Live, Don't Evict Hazelnut Grove, Don't Destroy Their Homes, Villages are the Solution. Some supporters are cutting signs out of cardboard in the shape of a tiny house.

  • If you have access, please bring small water bottles and snacks in your bag to share with folks around you.

  • If you have extra disposable masks, please bring them to share with people who are without.

  • We are in need of a couple of photographers and videographers. If you are able to offer either, please let us know at oregon@....

Forward Together, Not One Step Back!
Hazelnut Grove Village
Oregon Poor People's Campaign: Portland Circle
Overlook Neighbors



today 12:30pm at City Hall - Hazelnut Grove gathering and petition presentation

Houseless First
 

Hazelnut Grove residents working with Poor People's Campaign, Oregon will be gathering starting 12:30pm and presenting their online petition to officials at 1pm (see event guidelines, below).
Sign the petition (I think, you can still sign, it just won't be on the list presented at City Hall): https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/c33f808411c740f5007c6dacefb3e9dfc5466dbf.

View press conference from Saturday Jan 23rd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOr1cK3cjtc.

Background, from petition: 
"Hazelnut Grove, a self-governed tiny cabin village, has provided stable, long-term permanent and transitional housing for dozens of people for more than five years.

But residents of the Hazelnut Grove Village are being threatened with displacement by the city even as the pandemic ravages our community, the Center for Disease Control has encouraged all people to shelter in place, and Multnomah County has enacted and renewed an eviction moratorium.

Self-governed tiny cabin villages provide just one solution to the public health and housing crises. People who are currently sheltering in place in tent and tarp structures, personal pods managed by the city and social service agencies, traditional shelters, RVs and vehicles, and motels should also not be displaced until permanent solutions are provided."


Guidelines from Poor People's Campaign, Oregon: 

at City Hall - 1:00pm

We will gather at City Hall (1200-1220 SW 5th Ave) on Monday afternoon beginning at 12:30pm and begin the program promptly at 1:00pm.

Village residents are calling unhoused and housed eviction defenders together to hear the story of Hazelnut Grove, celebrate the grassroots organizing our community has engaged in during the past month, deliver our collective outrage to Mayor Wheeler and Commissioner Ryan, and demand a sit-down negotiation with the city.

If being in a setting with unhoused and housed people together is new for you, welcome. Please listen well, observe the culture of the Hazelnut Grove community, and follow the lead of Village residents.

Accessibility

  • The program is scheduled to last one hour with no plans to collectively move anywhere after the program is finished.

  • ASL interpretation will be available.

  • We will not enter the building.

  • The public restrooms one block east at Chapman Square Park are supposed to be open.

Safety

  • Please wear a mask and practice social distancing. If you have access, please double mask.

  • There will be people trained in de-escalation in the crowd. If you witness a situation you are not equipped to handle compassionately and safely without judgement, please immediately move away and make space for members of the de-escalation team.

  • Please do not speak to the press. Incorrect and incomplete information shared with press is harmful to Village residents. If you are approached by the press, please refer them to Barbie (resident, Josh (resident), or Peggy (neighbor).

Needs

  • If you would like to make a sign, Hazelnut Grove suggests you choose from any of the following slogans: Save Hazelnut Grove, Everybody's Got a Right to Live, Don't Evict Hazelnut Grove, Don't Destroy Their Homes, Villages are the Solution. Some supporters are cutting signs out of cardboard in the shape of a tiny house.

  • If you have access, please bring small water bottles and snacks in your bag to share with folks around you.

  • If you have extra disposable masks, please bring them to share with people who are without.

  • We are in need of a couple of photographers and videographers. If you are able to offer either, please let us know at oregon@....

Forward Together, Not One Step Back!
Hazelnut Grove Village
Oregon Poor People's Campaign: Portland Circle
Overlook Neighbors



Re: reminder: tomorrow Weds 10am-12pm, PDX Shelter Forum 3 with SquareOne Villages

Patt Opdyke
 





Patt Opdyke

Portland,Oregon | 503-978-0540 (no text)| pattop@...

When we see Land & Air & Sea & River & Tree & Stone
As a community to which we belong,
We may begin to live on the Earth with love and respect.

On 1/26/2021 11:09 PM, Tim McCormick wrote:
We look forward to seeing many of you at the PDX Shelter Forum 3 tomorrow Weds 10am-12pm, with special guests from SquareOne Villages in Eugene. There are still some tickets left, to join the Zoom meeting, free or you can donate or sponsor if you'd like. 

Emerald-Village--SquareOne-Villages-IMG-5020.jpg
Livestream
, open to all, will be at our Facebook group: http://facebook.pdxshelterforum.org.  (no Facebook account needed, but you need one and to join the group to add comments there). 

Event page (has all information and links): 
http://forum3.pdxshelterforum.org.

We will send a followup note after the event with a link to the recording.
 
Question or comments are welcomed (we will do our best to monitor all channels) by:
  1. Raising your hand, physically or with the Zoom raise-hand button, during the discussion period of the event.
  2. Typing in the Zoom chat channel, either to All or to Sean or Tim directly.
  3. Twitter: tweet with hashtag "#pdxshelterforum"
  4. Text message to PDX Shelter Forum phone number: (503) 482-8314‬
  5. Enter them in the event page (it's a Google Doc): http://forum3.pdxshelterforum.org, Questions or Open Notes sections.
  6. Email:  pdxshelterforum@....
hope to see you or connect with you some way around this forum! 
thanks, Tim.  

--
Tim McCormick
tmccormick@...
Moderator PDX Shelter Forum, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative
Portland, Oregon 


Re: Today's Event

Mh Kincaid
 

I see you both got in. LOTS to digest!



Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone



-------- Original message --------
From: Mary Jaron Kelley <mary@...>
Date: 1/27/21 10:06 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: pdxshelterforum@groups.io
Subject: Re: [pdxshelterforum] Today's Event

I’m with you, Janice.

 

Mary Jaron Kelley
Associate Program Director | North Portland Neighborhood Services
Office of Community & Civic Life
Historic Kenton Firehouse
2209 N. Schofield Street

Portland, Oregon 97217
503-823-8877 (cell) new number

mary@...

www. Facebook.com/NorthPortlandNeighborhoodServices
http://www.npnscommunity.org

 

I am in the office Monday-Thursday.

Pronouns: she/her/hers

 

From: pdxshelterforum@groups.io <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Janice Yaden via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 10:05 AM
To: pdxshelterforum@groups.io
Subject: [pdxshelterforum] Today's Event

 

Impossible to figure out how to get in.  Sorry.

Janice Yaden


Re: Today's Event

Tim McCormick
 

apologies to anyone having difficulty connecting.
Do you have the Zoom link? 
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87407723744?pwd=MElmMlhCc25FZ20rTE55emJyaVpxUT09.

As a fallback or perhaps connect more easily and share link, there is also livestreaming video on our Facebook group page:  http://facebook.pdxshelterforum.org.


--
Tim McCormick
Moderator PDX Shelter Forum, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative
Portland, Oregon 


On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 10:06 AM Mary Jaron Kelley <mary@...> wrote:

I’m with you, Janice.

 

Mary Jaron Kelley
Associate Program Director | North Portland Neighborhood Services
Office of Community & Civic Life
Historic Kenton Firehouse
2209 N. Schofield Street

Portland, Oregon 97217
503-823-8877 (cell) new number

mary@...

www. Facebook.com/NorthPortlandNeighborhoodServices
http://www.npnscommunity.org

 

I am in the office Monday-Thursday.

Pronouns: she/her/hers

 

From: pdxshelterforum@groups.io <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Janice Yaden via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 10:05 AM
To: pdxshelterforum@groups.io
Subject: [pdxshelterforum] Today's Event

 

Impossible to figure out how to get in.  Sorry.

Janice Yaden


Re: Today's Event

Janice Yaden
 

I just got in.  I found something that said zoom and clicked on that and it took me in.  Weird.

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 10:06:15 AM PST, Mary Jaron Kelley <mary@...> wrote:


I’m with you, Janice.

 

Mary Jaron Kelley
Associate Program Director | North Portland Neighborhood Services
Office of Community & Civic Life
Historic Kenton Firehouse
2209 N. Schofield Street

Portland, Oregon 97217
503-823-8877 (cell) new number

mary@...

www. Facebook.com/NorthPortlandNeighborhoodServices
http://www.npnscommunity.org

 

I am in the office Monday-Thursday.

Pronouns: she/her/hers

 

From: pdxshelterforum@groups.io <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Janice Yaden via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 10:05 AM
To: pdxshelterforum@groups.io
Subject: [pdxshelterforum] Today's Event

 

Impossible to figure out how to get in.  Sorry.

Janice Yaden


Re: Today's Event

Mary Jaron Kelley <mary@...>
 

I’m with you, Janice.

 

Mary Jaron Kelley
Associate Program Director | North Portland Neighborhood Services
Office of Community & Civic Life
Historic Kenton Firehouse
2209 N. Schofield Street

Portland, Oregon 97217
503-823-8877 (cell) new number

mary@...

www. Facebook.com/NorthPortlandNeighborhoodServices
http://www.npnscommunity.org

 

I am in the office Monday-Thursday.

Pronouns: she/her/hers

 

From: pdxshelterforum@groups.io <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Janice Yaden via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 10:05 AM
To: pdxshelterforum@groups.io
Subject: [pdxshelterforum] Today's Event

 

Impossible to figure out how to get in.  Sorry.

Janice Yaden


Today's Event

Janice Yaden
 

Impossible to figure out how to get in.  Sorry.
Janice Yaden


Re: reminder: tomorrow Weds 10am-12pm, PDX Shelter Forum 3 with SquareOne Villages

Jayme Delson
 

Hi Tim,

I was wanting to attend, however my power/internet is down due to the storms.  Have a great meeting and perhaps i can attend in the future.

Cheers, 

Jayme Delson

The Sustainable Village

North Country Real Estate

707-834-0251

On 1/26/2021 11:09 PM, Tim McCormick wrote:
We look forward to seeing many of you at the PDX Shelter Forum 3 tomorrow Weds 10am-12pm, with special guests from SquareOne Villages in Eugene. There are still some tickets left, to join the Zoom meeting, free or you can donate or sponsor if you'd like. 

Emerald-Village--SquareOne-Villages-IMG-5020.jpg
Livestream
, open to all, will be at our Facebook group: http://facebook.pdxshelterforum.org.  (no Facebook account needed, but you need one and to join the group to add comments there). 

Event page (has all information and links): 
http://forum3.pdxshelterforum.org.

We will send a followup note after the event with a link to the recording.
 
Question or comments are welcomed (we will do our best to monitor all channels) by:
  1. Raising your hand, physically or with the Zoom raise-hand button, during the discussion period of the event.
  2. Typing in the Zoom chat channel, either to All or to Sean or Tim directly.
  3. Twitter: tweet with hashtag "#pdxshelterforum"
  4. Text message to PDX Shelter Forum phone number: (503) 482-8314‬
  5. Enter them in the event page (it's a Google Doc): http://forum3.pdxshelterforum.org, Questions or Open Notes sections.
  6. Email:  pdxshelterforum@....
hope to see you or connect with you some way around this forum! 
thanks, Tim.  

--
Tim McCormick
Moderator PDX Shelter Forum, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative
Portland, Oregon 


reminder: tomorrow Weds 10am-12pm, PDX Shelter Forum 3 with SquareOne Villages

Tim McCormick
 

We look forward to seeing many of you at the PDX Shelter Forum 3 tomorrow Weds 10am-12pm, with special guests from SquareOne Villages in Eugene. There are still some tickets left, to join the Zoom meeting, free or you can donate or sponsor if you'd like. 

Emerald-Village--SquareOne-Villages-IMG-5020.jpg
Livestream
, open to all, will be at our Facebook group: http://facebook.pdxshelterforum.org.  (no Facebook account needed, but you need one and to join the group to add comments there). 

Event page (has all information and links): 
http://forum3.pdxshelterforum.org.

We will send a followup note after the event with a link to the recording.
 
Question or comments are welcomed (we will do our best to monitor all channels) by:
  1. Raising your hand, physically or with the Zoom raise-hand button, during the discussion period of the event.
  2. Typing in the Zoom chat channel, either to All or to Sean or Tim directly.
  3. Twitter: tweet with hashtag "#pdxshelterforum"
  4. Text message to PDX Shelter Forum phone number: (503) 482-8314‬
  5. Enter them in the event page (it's a Google Doc): http://forum3.pdxshelterforum.org, Questions or Open Notes sections.
  6. Email:  pdxshelterforum@....
hope to see you or connect with you some way around this forum! 
thanks, Tim.  

--
Tim McCormick
Moderator PDX Shelter Forum, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative
Portland, Oregon 


on now 5-8:30pm: Portland Planning & Sustainability Commission meeting, including S2HC

Godfrey Merrill
 

the Planning and Sustainability Commission meeting just started, 5-8:30pm.


5:25 pm - Shelter to Housing Continuum Project
Work Session / Recommendation

Documents:
https://efiles.portlandoregon.gov/record/14323315
(see ones prefixed "S2HC" for Shelter to Housing Continuum ones, scroll down to see all three: 
Live stream: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMG0vdKpdX0

There is no testimony or interaction channel open to the public, but you could use Twitter by adding hashtag "#pdxpsh" to tweets (this seems the only tag used for this so far).  
G. 


Weds 10am-12pm, join PDX Shelter Forum 3: SquareOne–From Self-Organized Camps to Tiny House Co-Op Villages

Sean Green <green@...>
 

Emerald-Village--SquareOne-Villages-IMG-5020.jpg

We are excited to announce a very special forum next Wednesday, January 27th 2021 with guests from SquareOne Villages, Eugene, whose mission is to “create self-managed communities of cost-effective tiny homes for people in need of housing.” 

Since its  founding in 2012, SquareOne Villages has developed three villages in Lane County, Oregon - Opportunity, Emerald, and Cottage Grove Villages -- and has multiple additional projects in progress.

The Village Model developed by Square One, with support from Portland-based Meyer Memorial Trust, puts forth a collaborative, community-based approach to building and sustaining stable, permanently affordable places to call home. Two important components of the model are a community land trust to ensure the property is permanently affordable, and a limited-equity cooperative that owns the buildings and allows  residents to become co-governing members and joint owners. 

The forum will feature:

This forum will be co-hosted by Tim McCormick – moderator of PDX Shelter Forum and editor of  HousingWiki – who was recently featured along with our guest Andrew Heben in an excellent interview by Thacher Schmid on villages.

Emerald-Village-panorama.jpg

Virtual Forum Information

Wednesday, January 27th from 10:00AM-12:00PM (Pacific).

RSVP at http://bit.ly/pdxshelterforum3-register to attend live or receive a recording and notes from the event [or to purchase a copy of Andrew Heben's Tent City Urbanism: From Self-organized Camps to Tiny House Villages. 

The event is suggested donation - you are welcome even if you can't donate financially, but are also welcome to donate/sponsor (and be recognized for it at the event, if you'd like) to help us be able to continue these events. 

We encourage you to share this event announcement in your communities, and we particularly invite and urge you to invite houseless neighbors. Their presence, questions, and comments, spoken or written, will be prioritized at the event. You can find postcards that you can print out and distribute attached to this email and on the event page.

This event is co-hosted by 

  • ShelterPDX / PDX Shelter Forum (pdxshelterforum.org

  • Alternative Shelter & Villages (FYI–this group is in the process of rebranding)

  • Northeast Coalition of Neighborhoods (NECN)


--
SEAN GREEN
Founder & COO, Aforma
Chair, NECN (Chair, LUTC)
Member, DRAC (Chair, PITC)

c 971.998.7376 IG:
 
@AFORMACO


Re: today 3-5pm: tune in to Safety Off the Streets Workgroup of AHFE, public meeting

Keith Wilson
 

Tim,

Thanks for bringing this meeting to our attention. Key info to keep track and updated on to further our initiatives.

 

 

From: pdxshelterforum@groups.io <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim McCormick via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 2:23 PM
To: pdxshelterforum@groups.io
Subject: [pdxshelterforum] today 3-5pm: tune in to Safety Off the Streets Workgroup of AHFE, public meeting

 

today 3-5om is the monthly, open meeting of the Safety Off the Streets Workgroup, a subcommittee of the Coordinating Board of A Home For Everyone:  meet.google.com/svq-vkja-ykr

 

SOS Workground is the shelter, immediate-response focused part, and advisory group, of the county homelessness administrative authority (A Home For Everyone). So it's a key place, in terms of funding / general policy, where many of us in PDX Shelter Forum might engage given our interests here -- at least according to some officials we talk to. It's probably a good place to engage and learn, but as usual it's an open question how much a workgroup or advisory board shapes the actual decisions. (the real meeting is not the public one, etc). See 'About SOS'' below for more about it. 


Agenda: http://ahomeforeveryone.net/s/SOS_Agenda_20210119.pdf.

VIDEO CONFERENCE: meet.google.com/svq-vkja-ykr.
   (this seems to be standing, i.e. the same link every month)
CONFERENCE CALL: DIAL: 1 484-424-4823
PIN: 661 453 175#

AGENDA

15 min 1. Welcome & Introductions - All
10 min 2. AHFE Strategic Planning Update - Joshua Bates, Paul Stark
20 min 3. Vaccine Distribution Update - Marc Jolin
30 min 4. Metro Supportive Housing Services (SHS) Program
Investment Plan Walkthrough - Nui Bezaire
30 min 5. Severe Weather Outreach & Shelter Updates - Celeste Duvall,
JOHS Staff
15 min 6. Updates & Announcements - All

Next meeting: Tuesday February 16th, 3-5pm

meet.google.com/svq-vkja-ykr.
[put it on your calendar now!  consider proposing to present on something].


ABOUT SOS

http://ahomeforeveryone.net/safety-off-the-streets-workgroup.
"In October 2014, the Safety off the Streets Workgroup was created as a subcommittee of the Coordinating Board and charged with developing an action plan, that prioritized strategies for increasing options for safety and a good night’s sleep, such that no women, children, or adults with disabilities have to sleep on the streets of Multnomah County by January 2017. The action plan includes policy and funding recommendations from the workgroup’s analysis of the need and what it would take to build a system to begin to address that need. [...]

"Going forward, the Safety off the Streets Workgroup will oversee implementation of shelter development, coordinated entry, best practices strategy, monitor new shelter initiatives, develop public spaces engagement/management strategies, oversee severe weather response, oversee development and implementation of street and shelter count methodology, and shape safety off the streets related budget recommendations."


--

Tim McCormick

Moderator PDX Shelter Forum, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative

Portland, Oregon 


today 3-5pm: tune in to Safety Off the Streets Workgroup of AHFE, public meeting

Tim McCormick
 

today 3-5om is the monthly, open meeting of the Safety Off the Streets Workgroup, a subcommittee of the Coordinating Board of A Home For Everyone:  meet.google.com/svq-vkja-ykr

SOS Workground is the shelter, immediate-response focused part, and advisory group, of the county homelessness administrative authority (A Home For Everyone). So it's a key place, in terms of funding / general policy, where many of us in PDX Shelter Forum might engage given our interests here -- at least according to some officials we talk to. It's probably a good place to engage and learn, but as usual it's an open question how much a workgroup or advisory board shapes the actual decisions. (the real meeting is not the public one, etc). See 'About SOS'' below for more about it. 

Agenda: http://ahomeforeveryone.net/s/SOS_Agenda_20210119.pdf.

VIDEO CONFERENCE: meet.google.com/svq-vkja-ykr.
   (this seems to be standing, i.e. the same link every month)
CONFERENCE CALL: DIAL: 1 484-424-4823
PIN: 661 453 175#

AGENDA

15 min 1. Welcome & Introductions - All
10 min 2. AHFE Strategic Planning Update - Joshua Bates, Paul Stark
20 min 3. Vaccine Distribution Update - Marc Jolin
30 min 4. Metro Supportive Housing Services (SHS) Program
Investment Plan Walkthrough - Nui Bezaire
30 min 5. Severe Weather Outreach & Shelter Updates - Celeste Duvall,
JOHS Staff
15 min 6. Updates & Announcements - All

Next meeting: Tuesday February 16th, 3-5pm
meet.google.com/svq-vkja-ykr.
[put it on your calendar now!  consider proposing to present on something].


ABOUT SOS

http://ahomeforeveryone.net/safety-off-the-streets-workgroup.
"In October 2014, the Safety off the Streets Workgroup was created as a subcommittee of the Coordinating Board and charged with developing an action plan, that prioritized strategies for increasing options for safety and a good night’s sleep, such that no women, children, or adults with disabilities have to sleep on the streets of Multnomah County by January 2017. The action plan includes policy and funding recommendations from the workgroup’s analysis of the need and what it would take to build a system to begin to address that need. [...]

"Going forward, the Safety off the Streets Workgroup will oversee implementation of shelter development, coordinated entry, best practices strategy, monitor new shelter initiatives, develop public spaces engagement/management strategies, oversee severe weather response, oversee development and implementation of street and shelter count methodology, and shape safety off the streets related budget recommendations."

--
Tim McCormick
Moderator PDX Shelter Forum, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative
Portland, Oregon 


Re: Shelter to Housing Continuum - notes on Work Session today, goals for 2nd one Jan 26th

Will Denecke
 

Excellent summary Tim...well done!!


On Wed, Jan 13, 2021, 12:19 AM David Dickson <dicksondavidk@...> wrote:
Tim,

You are doing amazing work, Tim,  to translate all this complexity to the average person (like myself).  It’s a bit scary to see so much at stake and the balance in the hands of planning technicians.  When the Seattle Low Income Housing Institute tells us that 50-60 is the “sweet spot” for effective village self governance…and when we see again and again that self governed villages enhance the quality of life of residents and actually result in a stronger community resolve to respect rules defined by the community, it is worrisome that traditional city planners will have significant influence in the decisions.  Their recommendations will carry inordinate weight, I fear,  when brought to elected officials who probably don’t have the time to fully understand the issues independently. 

Because I have just a thimbleful of knowledge in this area, I would be happy to have my opinions refuted.  

david 

On Jan 12, 2021, at 6:53 PM, Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:

The Planning and Sustainability Commission had a meeting today on which main item was a Work Session (no public comment) on Shelter to Housing Continuum. Basically, they and the city staff are honing in on amendments/revisions to this reform package, intending to vote or settle on most (all?) at a 2nd Work Session on January 26th. 

I watched the meeting video so you don't have to, linked to everything and summarized the amendments so far in play, both in our open community doc s2hc.pdxshelterforum.org and briefly below. It's all there for your comments and suggestions, usual rate of $3/word. (kidding! it's negotiable, of course). 

I'm still examining, but in brief I'd say:
  1. BPS staff is showing some flexibility, i.e. by listing variants of amendments that take different positions;  

  2. but staff still largely pushing for very low number of accommodations (20) in Outdoor Shelters, and exclusion of OS from most of city except for commercial zones on arterial roads. (blegh, let our people free, for some peace and quiet!). 

  3. some things we advocated for seem so far entirely unresponded to, such as allowing full range of structure types in Outdoor Shelters including, you know, housing, enabling a Housing Demonstration Program for innovation pilots, and enabling pilot Parking Dwelling Permit program for managing vehicle dwelling / safe parking. 
The video is actually quite interesting in parts, particularly the contrast between the two testimony panels they had on, the first representing 3 shelter service providers, the 2nd with three people with experience of homelessness, including Jonathan Hill site manager at C3PO Old Town, and Lisa Larson, former resident at and now working with Dignity Village. Jonathan and Lisa did I think an outstanding, powerful job conveying the effectiveness and clear need of relatively self-governing, non-traditional shelter/villages like these -- and Lisa, how they can work with quite minimal outside service staff, contrary to what the service providers emphasized. If you're out there Jonathan and Lisa, or anyone here sees them, give them a big hand, that was really well done. 

Panel 1
Brandi Tuck, Executive Director at Portland Homeless Family Solutions (PHFS)
Chris Aiosa, Executive Director at Do Good Multnomah
Tony Bernal, Senior Director of Public Policy & Funding at Transition Projects

Panel 2
Angi Eagan, PHFS
Jonathan Hill, C(3)PO
Lisa Larson, Dignity Village 

--------
BPS responses to commission amendment & info requests: 
1. Minimum sanitary service standards.
2. Designated supervisor
3. Name and contact information designated supervisor readily available.
4. Designated supervisor to be onsite 24 hours a day.
5. Require meeting between the shelter operator and the neighborhood,
6. Allow 60 accommodations in outdoor shelters without a conditional use in the RM1 through RMP, RX, IR, C, EX, CI, and IR zones? [BPS: No]. 
7. Require certification from the Joint Office of Homelessness that the public agency or nonprofit corporate applicant is sufficiently experienced? [BPS: No]. 
8. Allow Permanent Shelters in Open Space. [BPS: No]
9. Permanent Shelters in Open Space Zones within Certain Areas.
10. Temporary Shelters in Any Base Zone within Certain Areas.
11. Clarify Emergency and Shortage Declarations for Temporary Shelter Uses. [BPS still kinda wants to get rid of State of Emergency powers].
12. Categorize Dwellings with More than Eight Bedrooms as Group Living
13. Define Bedroom
12 [14]. Allow Residency Without Sewer Hook-ups. [BPS suggests an odd 'compromise' I don't yet understand]. 
13 [15].. Recommend Visitability Standards

A matrix of which shelter types that are allowed. [? said they sent it, I didn't see it]. 

how many sites would be available for shelters in each neighborhood
[no map produced, and there's lots of confusion. BPS says they'll bring a map on Jan 26th]. 

Response to Questions
Q4. Why not retain the existing Title 15 Housing Emergency provisions..
[BPS: our job is to not be in an emergency]. 
Q.5. Why not allow two or more tiny houses on wheels or recreational vehicles on residential lots? [BPS: because]. 
Q.6. Should the City grant an amnesty for existing tiny houses on wheels not constructed to a building code or ASCII standard? [BPS: No].
----------------------

--
Tim McCormick
Moderator PDX Shelter Forum, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative
Portland, Oregon 


Re: Shelter to Housing Continuum - notes on Work Session today, goals for 2nd one Jan 26th

David Dickson
 

Tim,

You are doing amazing work, Tim,  to translate all this complexity to the average person (like myself).  It’s a bit scary to see so much at stake and the balance in the hands of planning technicians.  When the Seattle Low Income Housing Institute tells us that 50-60 is the “sweet spot” for effective village self governance…and when we see again and again that self governed villages enhance the quality of life of residents and actually result in a stronger community resolve to respect rules defined by the community, it is worrisome that traditional city planners will have significant influence in the decisions.  Their recommendations will carry inordinate weight, I fear,  when brought to elected officials who probably don’t have the time to fully understand the issues independently. 

Because I have just a thimbleful of knowledge in this area, I would be happy to have my opinions refuted.  

david 

On Jan 12, 2021, at 6:53 PM, Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:

The Planning and Sustainability Commission had a meeting today on which main item was a Work Session (no public comment) on Shelter to Housing Continuum. Basically, they and the city staff are honing in on amendments/revisions to this reform package, intending to vote or settle on most (all?) at a 2nd Work Session on January 26th. 

I watched the meeting video so you don't have to, linked to everything and summarized the amendments so far in play, both in our open community doc s2hc.pdxshelterforum.org and briefly below. It's all there for your comments and suggestions, usual rate of $3/word. (kidding! it's negotiable, of course). 

I'm still examining, but in brief I'd say:
  1. BPS staff is showing some flexibility, i.e. by listing variants of amendments that take different positions;  

  2. but staff still largely pushing for very low number of accommodations (20) in Outdoor Shelters, and exclusion of OS from most of city except for commercial zones on arterial roads. (blegh, let our people free, for some peace and quiet!). 

  3. some things we advocated for seem so far entirely unresponded to, such as allowing full range of structure types in Outdoor Shelters including, you know, housing, enabling a Housing Demonstration Program for innovation pilots, and enabling pilot Parking Dwelling Permit program for managing vehicle dwelling / safe parking. 
The video is actually quite interesting in parts, particularly the contrast between the two testimony panels they had on, the first representing 3 shelter service providers, the 2nd with three people with experience of homelessness, including Jonathan Hill site manager at C3PO Old Town, and Lisa Larson, former resident at and now working with Dignity Village. Jonathan and Lisa did I think an outstanding, powerful job conveying the effectiveness and clear need of relatively self-governing, non-traditional shelter/villages like these -- and Lisa, how they can work with quite minimal outside service staff, contrary to what the service providers emphasized. If you're out there Jonathan and Lisa, or anyone here sees them, give them a big hand, that was really well done. 

Panel 1
Brandi Tuck, Executive Director at Portland Homeless Family Solutions (PHFS)
Chris Aiosa, Executive Director at Do Good Multnomah
Tony Bernal, Senior Director of Public Policy & Funding at Transition Projects

Panel 2
Angi Eagan, PHFS
Jonathan Hill, C(3)PO
Lisa Larson, Dignity Village 

--------
BPS responses to commission amendment & info requests: 
1. Minimum sanitary service standards.
2. Designated supervisor
3. Name and contact information designated supervisor readily available.
4. Designated supervisor to be onsite 24 hours a day.
5. Require meeting between the shelter operator and the neighborhood,
6. Allow 60 accommodations in outdoor shelters without a conditional use in the RM1 through RMP, RX, IR, C, EX, CI, and IR zones? [BPS: No]. 
7. Require certification from the Joint Office of Homelessness that the public agency or nonprofit corporate applicant is sufficiently experienced? [BPS: No]. 
8. Allow Permanent Shelters in Open Space. [BPS: No]
9. Permanent Shelters in Open Space Zones within Certain Areas.
10. Temporary Shelters in Any Base Zone within Certain Areas.
11. Clarify Emergency and Shortage Declarations for Temporary Shelter Uses. [BPS still kinda wants to get rid of State of Emergency powers].
12. Categorize Dwellings with More than Eight Bedrooms as Group Living
13. Define Bedroom
12 [14]. Allow Residency Without Sewer Hook-ups. [BPS suggests an odd 'compromise' I don't yet understand]. 
13 [15].. Recommend Visitability Standards

A matrix of which shelter types that are allowed. [? said they sent it, I didn't see it]. 

how many sites would be available for shelters in each neighborhood
[no map produced, and there's lots of confusion. BPS says they'll bring a map on Jan 26th]. 

Response to Questions
Q4. Why not retain the existing Title 15 Housing Emergency provisions..
[BPS: our job is to not be in an emergency]. 
Q.5. Why not allow two or more tiny houses on wheels or recreational vehicles on residential lots? [BPS: because]. 
Q.6. Should the City grant an amnesty for existing tiny houses on wheels not constructed to a building code or ASCII standard? [BPS: No].
----------------------

--
Tim McCormick
Moderator PDX Shelter Forum, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative
Portland, Oregon 

381 - 400 of 709