Re: 11-story building to displace low-income residents in Kenton

Trena Sutton

I Talked to an architect that has  worked with developers on multiple apartment complexes.  He advised me that one bedroom units  usually have 600 to 650 ft.². For additional bedrooms there’s usually 150 ft.² per unit   If they do indeed put in all these amenities like an indoor play structure and gym  you could extrapolate using the proposed 25,000 ft.² estimate of total room.

 I had talk to both PCR I and Cascadia and they all have air conditioning. I agree that he is an absolute necessity and we only have to remember a short time back at how serious the heat situation was here in Portland.   I know Cascadia includes  an allowance for electrical needs.  Did any of the people at this virtual meeting ask about weatherization details of this proposed building?

 I saw the schematics for Bybee Lake Hope Center (formally Wapato) and that was  600,000 ft.². It was clear as to the size of each room. The 600,000 ft.². It was clear as to  Original architectural plans We’re not as exact as  The schematics but more for restructuring the vision.  The developers should be able to supply the square footage of each of the units whether they be Studios, One or two bedrooms.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 5:17 PM Taffy Everts <taffy@...> wrote:

FYI, these are not luxury units. They are so-called “affordable” studio, 1- and 2-bedroom apartments that will rent for 60% of the local AMI, and supposedly that will be true for 60 years.

At the Kenton Neighborhood Association (KNA) Board meeting last Wednesday, John Wright, of Wright Architecture, which designed the building, presented a quick version of the slide presentation he made for the Design Commission review in late May. A representative of the developer, Attainable Development LLC, was also there to answer questions.

As with all KNA meetings since the pandemic started, this meeting was held virtually over Google Meet, which probably cuts down on the number of attendees—especially folks who aren’t comfortable in online meetings. None of the 14 current residents who will lose their low-income housing to make way for the new building seemed to be in attendance, so no one directly affected was there to protest.

Comments by board members, both out loud and in the chat, seemed to indicate that many had no serious objection to the building. At least one board member commented that Kenton would maybe have too many low-income apartments on N Argyle if this building was built. (Renaissance Commons and Argyle Gardens are already on the street.) Some folks were concerned about the lack of parking, but others liked the idea of forcing residents to use other means of transport. Austin Turner, the developer’s rep, said people would have to accept the fact that having a car would be a problem if they chose to rent in the building.

The size of the building bothered some board members, who called it out of place in the Kenton neighborhood, where no building is over 6 stories tall (and most are from 1 to 4 stories). On the positive side, one board member commented that the building would be “A much better "welcome" to the neighborhood than currently exists. I think a beautifully designed building that offers 290 units of affordable housing is a great statement for the spirit of Kenton.” Not everyone agreed with that assessment.

More info about the project:

  • All building entrances and units are accessible to people with disabilities
  • Multiple amenity spaces include laundry, bike room, gym, outdoor playground, private and communal terraces, and a rooftop garden.
  • The architect was unsure whether units would be air conditioned (KNA Board members agreed AC was a must.)
  • Developers don’t yet own the two lots at 1810 and 1838 N Argyle; they need approval from the Land Use Commission for the project before investors will put up the $$ for purchase
  • Austin Turner said the developers have plans to purchase the other lots in the same block—a closed strip club (the “Dancing Bare”) and two single-family homes)—and to build mixed-use commercial & residential buildings there. (Note that, unlike the 1810 & 1838 lots, which are zoned RM4d, these other lots are zoned CM2dm (commercial mixed-use) and are within the Kenton Conservation District.)
  • Developer will participate in the N/NE Preference Program to give preference to people displaced from those neighborhoods.
  • Developer will accept Home Forward vouchers

Again, a drawing of the building “in situ” and more details are on the KNA website: https://historickenton.com/new-development-proposed-for-n-argyle/.