Re: 11-story building to displace low-income residents in Kenton

Trena Sutton

Anytime a person is required to give up their domicile can be disconcerting. If they can be informed of the inducements of any potential housing could ease the stress of moving. Such a large development would be intimidating to many (including me) but if the current renters were given assurances to alleviate their doubts would be a step in the right direction. The Development Company gave some assurances and the fact they are getting tax incentives and are now on record helps. I wonder if the media could dig deeper. This is a Goliath undertaking and worth their attention. Taffy, thanks for all you are doing for the folks effected.

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021, 4:43 PM Taffy Everts <taffy@...> wrote:

Trena, the developer’s rep said last night that the project would participate in the N/NE Preference Policy, and will give preference to folks who were displaced from North & NE Portland. But I’ve recently heard that the current tenants aren’t interested in living in the new building: “Nobody here wants to live in a box with no parking and higher rent.”

Unfortunately, I don’t have a picture of the proposed floor plans, but the apartments appear to be long, narrow boxes with a floor-to-ceiling window and balcony at one end. I don’t know the square footage.

ßHere’s what the building will look like. FYI, the developer is “Attainable Development LLC.”

Apartments will be accessible to people with disabilities. The architect wasn’t sure they’d be air-conditioned.

Thanks again for all your help!

Taffy