Re: 11-story building to displace low-income residents in Kenton

Trena Sutton

You are probably aware of the N/NE displacement Affordable Housing Program. People that can prove they lost their housing in North and Northeast Portland qualifies. It depends who is going to be the Admin. Home Forward would have this information.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021, 3:01 PM Taffy Everts <taffy@...> wrote:

I’ve just done a little online research and am not sure tenants displaced by the 11-story building project qualify for reimbursements under the Uniform Relocation Act (URA) because as far as I can tell the developer is a private corporation, not the city or county or a public corporation. However, something called Mandatory Renter Relocation Assistance might apply: https://northwestlandlordlaw.com/articles/f/portland-mandatory-renter-relocation-assistance-as-of-9122019.

AFAIK, these are 1-time payments, not ongoing support.

Taffy

From: pdxshelterforum@groups.io <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Purkey
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 10:24 AM
To: pdxshelterforum@groups.io
Subject: Re: [pdxshelterforum] 11-story building to displace low-income residents in Kenton

Isn't there a similar local requirement when you evict a tenant? Are there two fund sources these current tenants will get to relocate? Also, are the HUD and local funds one time payments that help with moving expenses, or ongoing support to help afford a replacement unit that is more expensive?

-Joe

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021, 9:59 AM Trena Sutton <thegirlsok@...> wrote:

Perfect, Thanks

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021, 8:08 AM Taffy Everts <taffy@...> wrote:

Thanks for this very helpful information, Eli. I will ask the presenter tonight about the URA if no one else brings it up.

Taffy

From: pdxshelterforum@groups.io <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Eli Spevak
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 7:36 AM
To: pdxshelterforum@groups.io
Subject: Re: [pdxshelterforum] 11-story building to displace low-income residents in Kenton

The funding package for an affordable housing development of this scale almost certainly triggers HUD's Uniform Relocation Act, which requires that the developer provide financial relocation assistance to displaced residents (or businesses, in the case of commercial relocation).  You could ask the builder if URA applies; I suspect it does.  To understand what those benefits are, look up Uniform Relocation Act online.  Displacement is always a burden, but URA softens it quite a bit.

"Whenever Federal funds are used in a project involving the demolition of real property, a Federal law known as the Unif Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970 (URA) generally CDBG funds in a project involving the demolition or convers also trigger another Federal law under Section 104(d) of the acquisition, ..."

CHAPTER 18: RELOCATION & ACQUISITION - HUD Exchange

Join pdxshelterforum@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.