Re: 11-story building to displace low-income residents in Kenton

Trena Sutton

Perfect, Thanks

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021, 8:08 AM Taffy Everts <taffy@...> wrote:

Thanks for this very helpful information, Eli. I will ask the presenter tonight about the URA if no one else brings it up.

Taffy

From: pdxshelterforum@groups.io <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Eli Spevak
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 7:36 AM
To: pdxshelterforum@groups.io
Subject: Re: [pdxshelterforum] 11-story building to displace low-income residents in Kenton

The funding package for an affordable housing development of this scale almost certainly triggers HUD's Uniform Relocation Act, which requires that the developer provide financial relocation assistance to displaced residents (or businesses, in the case of commercial relocation).  You could ask the builder if URA applies; I suspect it does.  To understand what those benefits are, look up Uniform Relocation Act online.  Displacement is always a burden, but URA softens it quite a bit.

"Whenever Federal funds are used in a project involving the demolition of real property, a Federal law known as the Unif Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970 (URA) generally CDBG funds in a project involving the demolition or convers also trigger another Federal law under Section 104(d) of the acquisition, ..."

CHAPTER 18: RELOCATION & ACQUISITION - HUD Exchange