Re: 11-story building to displace low-income residents in Kenton

Taffy Everts

Hi, Trina,

Yes, two buildings built in the 1940s that now house 14 people would be torn down and replaced with an 11-story building with an estimated 290 units that would house an estimated 500 people in studios and 1- and 2-bedroom units. Concerns are that the people now housed pay a lot less ($500-$800 per month, reportedly) for their apartments than the proposed units will rent for. They are billed as affordable, but will rent for 60% of the current Average Median Income (AMI) for our area. Current HUD maximum monthly rent including utilities at 60% AMI is $1015 for a 1-person studio, $1088 for a 1.5-person 1-bedroom, and $1306 for a 3-person 2-bedroom apartment. At least 8 of the current residents reportedly can’t afford the increased rent.

Another rub is that because the project is about a block from the Kenton MAX station, it has no provision for car parking (only bicycle parking). I don’t know if you’re familiar with the immediate neighborhood (sort of behind the Dancing Bear strip club in Kenton), but it’s a small, hilly area of a few narrow streets sandwiched between the MAX tracks and N Columbia Blvd. Parking is already difficult for the folks who live in the garden apartments and the newer four-story building across N Fenwick from the project. Assuming one car for every two residents in the new building, where will 250 more people find parking?

As far as I know, the current tenants have not been offered apartments in the proposed building or alternative housing while it’s being built or afterwards. (These are good questions to ask the developer and/or architect at the KNA board meeting tomorrow evening. Thanks!)

We absolutely need more affordable housing in Portland, but is the building as proposed appropriate for that purpose?

Sincerely,

Taffy