Re: 11-story building to displace low-income residents in Kenton

Trena Sutton

As I read this approximately 14 units would be torn down in favor of this large project. The age of the current dwellings is significant. Where will the current residents go while its being built? Will the displaced families have the choice to move in first?

The project sounds enormous but inducements may be favorable to families. The rub may be a loss of yards for children to play in or the ability to have small gardens or planted flowers.

We desperately need more affordable housing and I hope all will benefit from this project.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021, 8:44 AM Taffy Everts <taffy@...> wrote:

Thanks for your supportive comments! The proposed building site is the two lots at 1810 and 1838 N Argyle Street at N Fenwick. The project will be presented at the Kenton Neighborhood Association (KNA) board meeting tomorrow evening. More info about the building is at https://historickenton.com/new-development-proposed-for-n-argyle/.

I will forward the lawyer’s email link to one of the current residents.

Sincerely,

Taffy

From: pdxshelterforum@groups.io <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew Olshin
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2021 9:05 PM
To: Shelter Forum <pdxshelterforum@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [pdxshelterforum] 11-story building to displace low-income residents in Kenton

Elise

I’ve heard good things about this lawyer:

https://underdoglawyer.com/

On Jul 12, 2021, at 8:54 PM, Elise Aymer <elise@...> wrote:

I also think it's relevant for the forum. I think it's problematic if we only focus on things once someone has nowhere to live, rather than look at the systems that create that scenario. And the case Taffy raises is very lPDX ocal and current.

Elise

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 10:36 PM Trena Sutton <thegirlsok@...> wrote:

Just my opinion but I think it is very appropriate for this venue. I could find out which Developer if I can get a street name and cross street.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021, 6:04 PM Taffy Everts <taffy@...> wrote:

I’m not sure this is the right forum for this question, but I’m wondering whether low-income folks displaced from affordable housing have any right to replacement housing. A developer wants to build an 11-story building on two lots containing low-rise mid-20th-century apartments whose residents reportedly pay $500-$800/month. Described at https://efiles.portlandoregon.gov/record/14460187, the new building’s proposed 290 units (studios and 1- & 2-bedroom apartments) will rent for 60% of Average Median Income (AMI).

The AMI for our area currently ranges from $40,620 for 1 person to $58,020 for a family of 4—too much, according to NextDoor posts, for at least 8 of the current residents, who will likely become homeless. There’s no provision for offering them apartments in the new building at or near their current rents. Do they have any legal recourse?

--

Elise Aymer
Co-founder, Critical Diversity Solutions

Pronouns: She/her

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join pdxshelterforum@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.