Re: 11-story building to displace low-income residents in Kenton

Trena Sutton

Do you know who the Developer is?

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 6:04 PM Taffy Everts <taffy@...> wrote:

I’m not sure this is the right forum for this question, but I’m wondering whether low-income folks displaced from affordable housing have any right to replacement housing. A developer wants to build an 11-story building on two lots containing low-rise mid-20th-century apartments whose residents reportedly pay $500-$800/month. Described at https://efiles.portlandoregon.gov/record/14460187, the new building’s proposed 290 units (studios and 1- & 2-bedroom apartments) will rent for 60% of Average Median Income (AMI).

The AMI for our area currently ranges from $40,620 for 1 person to $58,020 for a family of 4—too much, according to NextDoor posts, for at least 8 of the current residents, who will likely become homeless. There’s no provision for offering them apartments in the new building at or near their current rents. Do they have any legal recourse?