City Coucil hearing Weds AM on new "Safe Rest Villages" ordinance

Tim McCormick

Sign up by 4pm to testify tomorrow AM on the new "Safe Rest Villages" ordinance proposed by Commissioner Dan Ryan coming before council tomorrow.

register yourself here before 4pm today, Tuesday: portlandoregon.gov/auditor/26997
Select agenda item 519.

Meeting agenda:
Ordinance:

Excerpts:
"The Council has directed City Bureaus to provide a list of surplus City property for use as Outdoor Shelters by June 30, 2021. Outdoor Shelters on City property will be known as Safe Rest Villages."

"The [Homelessness and Urban Camping] Impact Reduction Program will refer persons residing in high impact encampments to Safe Rest Villages when available and will assist in said persons’ relocation to Safe Rest Villages."

Background / Process note:

The ordinance was drafted last week, and apparently first publicly posted via the Council weekly agenda materials posted Friday.

It what seems to be increasingly typical Portland official procedure, this was developed internally and based on specific & managed outreach engagements, overseen  by Dan Ryan's office, rather than being publicly announced and developed with open input, at least until now.

As with the other commissioners, Dan Ryan and his office staff have not responded to numerous efforts via many channels, over the last year, from me and co-organizers to engage with the PDX Shelter Forum community, participate in our public forums, or to comment or respond to our many written and spoken testimonies and proposals.

I've never received a followup response from any City of Portland Commissioner, to many inquiries, invitations, and requests, made in writing, in person, or in spoken public testimony and comments, in three years of advocacy work since I moved back to Portland.

I was born and part grew up in Portland, family came here in 1968, and I've lived here on and off across 45 years. My parents were longtime public servants with the City of Portland and Portland Public Schools, and I graduated from PPS schools. Of the many other places I've meanwhile lived, worked, and advocated, I've never personally experienced such a consistent level of indifference or refusal of engagement by public officials (and to some extent, various other community leaders) to citizen advocacy, as I have in Portland in recent years. Perhaps you may have better results though! Seems quite doubtful to me that it's worth my time trying though, and I'm now out of state travelling for the time being.

Bcc:
Commissioner Dan Ryan
phone: 503-823-3589
Twitter: @DanRyanPDX

Lucas Hillier - director, HUCIRP (Homelessness and Urban Camping Impact Reduction Program, part of Office of Management and Finance, City of Portland).
503-823-6930

All recipients: We incite open public discussion. You can reply to the PDX Shelter Forum group by replying to this message.