Re: Slavin Village feasibility_210609.pdf

Elise Aymer

Thanks for explaining,  Peter.

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021, 7:28 PM Peter Finley Fry, <peter@...> wrote:

Land is owned by deed.  Portland (and other public agencies) can and do own land by deed.  A right of way (street) is a super easement across deeded land granted by the original subdivider to provide access to lots.

The easiest way to see this is on Portland Maps that clearly shows the deeded land (which are also tax lots) and the interconnected right of ways.  Portlandmaps will reveal the answer.  It is possible that the right of way extends but is not improved.  It is not uncommon for people to develop unimproved right of ways and extend a yard or garden into the right of way.  I know of a street in Corbett Terwilliger where every property along the street was built into the right of way.

On deeded land, the owner can prohibit trespass of the land.  On right of way, public access can not be blocked or prohibited – i.e. public right of way can not be privatized by anyone – the city of private party without a public street vacation process.  Ironically, the city in the last few years made it almost impossible to vacate right of ways.

These areas have a lot of conflict inherent in them.  In my world the laws are the bones and when the bones are broken or ignored then they cause the organism to fail.  I am trying to reduce the breakage so we can discuss the moral principles and not get sidetracked by litigation or illegal action even when innocent.  Keep in mind that there is no final judgement except death.   Litigation only stops when people fade away.  The Boise case provides a road sign, but it is not a definitive conclusion.

My observation, is that no one is really paying attention to reality.  It is no different then attempting to cross a desert without water.

The Salvin idea looks very interesting and conceptually  could work.

I would like to help to make it happen.

Peter Finley Fry    AICP PhD MUP

Land Use Planning

Cultural Anthropologist