Re: Slavin Village feasibility_210609.pdf

Peter Finley Fry

Again;  It looks great.

FYI; if you vacate the street; the property reverts back to the underlying property owners which is typically fifty fifty to the abutting owners.  A right of way is essentially a super easement across private property which is why the existing camps on right of way are technically illegal as they block people’s right of passage and attempt to privatize property rights that are owned by all of us.

I understand in times of crisis we tend to ignore things though we attempt to do no harm.

Peter Finley Fry    AICP PhD MUP

Land Use Planning

Cultural Anthropologist

303 NW Uptown Terrace; Unit 1B

Portland, Oregon 97210

503 703-8033

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 10:18 PM
To: pdxshelterforum@groups.io
Subject: Re: [pdxshelterforum] Slavin Village feasibility_210609.pdf

Andy,

This looks reasonable to me.  I doubt if Slavin St. can be extended and thus will always be a dead-end street.  As such, the city may be amenable to vacating/abandoning the far end portion for another purpose, such as, a tiny house village.  To make the adjacent apartment complex more accepting of this use, you would probably need to specify a fence along the east side to give a sense of separation/security.  

Overall, this is the kind of strategy the city should adopt, i.e., find 'un-purposed' city property, near transportation and shopping, that can be purposed into a tiny home village.  I think you’re on a promising track here.

Skip Trantow

Join pdxshelterforum@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.