Re: Opinions on National Alliance to End Homelessness

Tommy Kiser

Hmm, ok, thanks very much for this Jayme. I’m much newer to focused activism on this issue than probably most on this list, so I very much appreciate the added historical perspective.

Would you consider the village approach (individual shelters, shared services, etc.) to fall under the umbrella of “Housing First”? That is the sort of solution that seems most promising to me at this point if adopted widely. That’s the sort of thing I was hoping to advocate for with this message.

Of course I also realize no one approach will solve the entire problem, I’m also wholly in favor of more services/outreach to camps and meeting people where they are, while we work towards longer term solutions.

All that said, I realize this issue is insanely complex, and there’s no great way to boil it down to one or two sentences. But if you had a few seconds to give a very short message to a large audience, what would you say that you think might make an impact? (Maybe this is the question I should have asked this group to begin with.)

And thanks Donna for the background on the Alliance. Great to hear, and I look forward to watching the webinar you shared.

Cheers,
-Tommy

On Jun 3, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Jayme Delson <jayme@...> wrote:

Hi Tommy,

Housing first is Transitional housing without the barer to entry of substance abuse, this is a good upgrade in my opinion.

Sadly Transitional housing (housing first) in general has an poor track record on mid and longer term outcomes, in the cases that are tracked which are few.   (Under 20% remain housed longer than 6months or so)  its no ones fault, as you say living wage jobs are needed.  However if you think as i do, that that is not the prevailing long term trend, than how could this work?  I have watched this for 40 years now, its just getting worse.

I am happy for the few it helps.  I am sad for the majority who are asked to trod the bridge to no where, over and over again.  To say nothing of the mental health impacts of the few who do gain housing, with no upward mobility, and 4 walls a TV,  no yard, no uplifting culture, or way out.  For most this is a perfect recipe  for depression or worse.

Thanks,

Jayme

On 6/3/2021 11:20 AM, Donna Cohen wrote:
I recently saw a webinar from the National Alliance to End Homelessness. Yes, they are a good group.

Homeless Policy in the Recovery Plans (recorded webinar) May 12, 2021
From National Alliance to End Homelessness

The webpage has a video of the webinar, a transcript and a set of excellent slides from the second speaker, who was from the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities.

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MLIS, MEd
Portland, Oregon
503-737-1425
Civics for Adults – and Others – Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire Political Engagement
“My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not right, not just – stand up, say something, speak up!” Rep. John Lewis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY