Re: PDX Shelter Forum - Check out Community First! Village in Austin TX

Andrew Olshin

Roughly $35K for dbl laundry, dbl shower. $25K for sngl shower, sngl laundry. $18K for single laundry or single shower. (Those are all retail, no donations).

Thanks,
Andy Olshin

On Jul 6, 2020, at 10:07 AM, Sharron Fuchs <sharronfuchs@...> wrote:

Dear Mr. Olshin,

How much does it cost to build a mobile hygiene unit?

Very truly yours,

Sharron Fuchs

On Jul 6, 2020, at 9:52 AM, Andrew Olshin <Andrew.Olshin@...> wrote:

Thanks David.  I was hoping this would be a good week to reach out to potential donors to support our work building hygiene units to offer free, hot showers to folks out on the streets.

https://www.cascadiaclusters.org/support

Thanks,
Andy Olshin

On Jul 5, 2020, at 8:28 PM, Dave Albertine <davea51@...> wrote:

Andy Olshin is doing great work and making things happen in a practical way.  If you can help and support his work at  Cascadia Clusters, I highly recommend it.

On Jul 5, 2020, at 8:23 PM, Andrew Olshin <Andrew.Olshin@...> wrote:

Obstacles? Opportunities.
Here are a few:
- visit Agape Village, talk with Pastor Huff about what could be done to expand capacity, “host” guest families for 6 weeks or so.
- visit Hazelnut Grove and check out the vegetable gardens. What can you do to help the “grovers”.
- Are you a plumber?  Can you help with a specific project At Cascadia Clusters - we are building three more mobile hygiene units

<image.jpg>

<image.jpg>

Thanks,
Andy Olshin

On Jul 5, 2020, at 8:13 PM, Stephen Pettengill <foodsavant8@...> wrote:

Many of these projects are possible because the
zoning and code restrictions are not there.
Texas is famous for this, unlike here.

Imagine what we could do without so many  obstacles.
Stephen

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 6:20 PM Danielle Elowe <danielle@...> wrote:
I love these ideas! I am a plumber by trade and would love to see and be a part of outreach between local pre-apprenticeship programs and projects like this, such as Oregon Tradeswomen and Construction Hope. So looking forward to continuing to work with all of you. I've no doubt we've got the skills and experience needed to get the job done.

Warmly,
Danielle Elowe
Rahab's Sisters

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020, 5:40 PM Trena Sutton <thegirlsok@...> wrote:
You have Valid points Danielle. I live in Northeast Portland and it takes me an hour and a half to get over to Milwaukie which is my former stomping grounds and I have many friends and fu valid points Danielle. I live in Northeast Portland and it takes me an hour and a half to get over to Milwaukie which is my former stomping grounds and I have many friends and for babies fur babies. Much discussion has been done over bringing potential employers in job fair much discussion has been done over bringing potential employers in jobs fairs  and those who could come in and Provide training in several areas. I watch the job market and I see the need for skilled workers and  not necessarily those with college degrees.  Apprenticeships are golden for our job market.

 I have no doubt that Lake Bybee Hope Center (BLHC)  Will have growing pains but getting people off the streets and getting them help with their issues is paramount. When a person can wake up in the morning and shower and have clean clothes  they would be able to go down the hall to take a GED class or train and a apprenticeship program right there on the premises.

 I am not thrilled with the fact that there will not be couples residency or RVs parking in the parking lot but I understand the reasons.

 My sister has her masters degree in social work and works for a nonprofit that actually our good Stewart’s for the donations they get. She could get a different job at a different place and make much more money but She has a heart for where she is right now and I applaud you for the same.

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 5:20 PM Danielle Elowe <danielle@...> wrote:
Very much enjoying this discussion!

The use of Wapato as a treatment and detox facility seems reasonable enough, provided that we have adequate outpatient transitional housing closer-in. However, in looking at transit maps, the facility is around 1.75 hours from downtown on transit, which includes a preliminary 25 minute bike ride to catch a bus to light rail. This still seems inaccessible, particularly if the intent of this project is as a transitional houseless shelter.

In terms of the build-it-and-they-will-come conversation, I'm curious what would incentivize entrepreneurs to create jobs in that particular, remote, industrial area. The jobs are still going to be in town, potentially where their old haunts, their old dealers, and their old influences reside. What is this project's plan to support people in that phase of recovery and rebuilding?

Lastly, addressing Trena's mistrust in non-profits, I do echo those concerns. Non-profits can and often do hoard wealth while utilizing low-wage labor. But as one of three paid employees at a micro hyper-localized non-profit making just above poverty wages despite my training in a much more lucrative field, I'll be the first to say that I'd love to see the need for this work and my position in it completely eradicated. Our coffers are virtually non-existent. My personal experience doesn't erase countless other organizations' interest, but it's not a unanimous one.

Thank you all for this discourse, and I'm going to continue to push for these decisions to be made by and for the people they directly affect. I hope we can all agree to do the same.

-Danielle Elowe

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020, 3:43 PM Jan Radle Roberson <janr2@...> wrote:
David and Trena, I agree.  I have done a lot of oureach and now my PhD research focuses on unhoused women and unsafe urban space.  I was blessed tp hear and document their stories.  There is not a single solution here. Bybee provides one snd I support it.   But other solutions are needed also.  There is such a breakdown in our service delivery and network here in Portland.

Jan

On Jul 5, 2020, at 3:34 PM, David Dickson <dicksondavidk@...> wrote:

I’m with Trena on this, but I’m also with anyone who is out there doing something to address the homelessness crisis.  The problem is big enough for many ideas.  One unique aspect of Bybee Lakes is that it does not involve tax dollars.  Maybe it’s a good thing the county rejected it and we have an opportunity to see how it works at no cost to the taxpayer.  While one person might look at the lack of “services” at the Bybee Lakes location as a negative, another person might see it differently…that the lack of services will bring bring services and jobs to the location.  If you build it, they will come.  And the drug free policy might be a blessing to many who are struggling to get clean and need an environment which supports their effort.

On Jul 5, 2020, at 2:57 PM, Trena Sutton <thegirlsok@...> wrote:

Jason Renault  that was the assessment of the state and county because they wanted someone to buy it does it and put up warehouses so they could get the tax revenues put in the coffers. I don’t remember seeing you with any of the meetings in dealing with this “Rich White Man”.  Jordan is a kind and very decent man. His family has a legacy of  philanthropic projects that have benefited people for many, many years. Helping Hands is a proven solution, they have been very successful in opening up seven homeless shelters on the coast.

Match Resourse has gone into this project and people have been very generous, not only with their money but their talents. You sound like that city commissioner who opened her mouth without knowing all the facts. If the county had ran it for any purpose I would not have supported it in anyway because they screwed up royally much research has gone into this project and people have been very generous, not only with their money but their talents. You sound like that city commissioner who opened her mouth without knowing all the facts. If the county had ran out for any purpose I would not have supported it in anyway because they screwed up royally  in building Wapato. It was built as a medium security jail but of course never opened. I seen the architectural renderings and they are fantastic. I’m not going to slam you in anyway because you’re entitled to your rate on this and I’ve had to deal with other short  minded people who laughingly call themselves “Advocates”, They are no such damn thing.

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 2:30 PM Jason Renaud <info@...> wrote:
The state and mental & addiction health advocates looked at Wapato pretty carefully in 2002 for conversion to a new state hospital - this prior to the total rehab of the state hospital in Salem. The wide consensus agreement was Wapato is fundamentally a jail and there was no way to convert it - outside of demolition and a total rebuild. With consensus state facilities crossed it off from any future development planning. Their thought was with some minor adjustments it could be converted to a state or Federal prison.

Since then there have been dozens of various attempts to restart this idea, but all have failed a variety of tests laid out by thoughtful knowledgeable people -  distance, capital cost, operations costs, amenities, services, aesthetics. Danielle's is right, also include the county, the city, addiction recovery community, the mental health treatment community, and pretty much any homeless service provided not funded by Jordan Schnitzer. They've all opposed - or would oppose if a proposal were real and not smoke. This is a rich man who bought a white elephant and to fix Martin v Boise by demanding public funding for a terrible idea. He's probably spent more money demanding public funds than he paid for the property. Trumpian, at best.

There are straightforward solutions to reduce the amount of time various people spend homeless. They require blended funding from the Fed, states and counties, and private philanthropy, none of which make reducing homelessness a priority. People who are homeless and unsheltered don't vote and don't make political contributions. Example - the jacked Metro Bond future dollars are already being channeled toward rent relief & "affordable housing" and not services & shelter for the unsheltered. But Wapato is not a solution.

Just say no to Wapato.

Jason Renaud

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 1:32 PM Danielle Elowe <danielle@...> wrote:
From what I've read and heard directly from unsheltered folks, the houseless community has not so far responded favorably to the utilization of the Wapato Jail site for reasons that seem obvious. 1) It's a jail, and regardless of facelifts that fact will remain triggering to many 2) More pragmatically, it is super far away from City Center. While they can promise to be self-sufficient in regards to medical and social services, it still smells of something carceral - the message reads We'll ship you way out here until you're ready to rejoin all of us in civilised society.

I'm not discounting it's potential usefulness entirely, but I think a ton more community input is needed, not from the city or from non-profits, but from those directly affected. That's my two cents.

-Danielle Elowe

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020, 12:22 PM Candee Wilson <candee@...> wrote:
If you aren't familiar with Alan Evans and Bybee Lakes Hope Center, this is what he wants to do with the 18+ acres at the former Wapato jail. He envisions building apartments in addition to the center for people to transition to after treatment. He also plans to use the built-in work environment surrounding the center to help find employment opportunities. This is happening right here in Portland, so ,yes, there are visionaries in our midst. And instead of just serving 200 people, it will serve over 500 eventually. We have a model to follow right here.
Candee Wilson
411 NW Flanders St. #406
Portland, OR  97209
503-789-0332