Re: villages envisioned on large scale by developer Homer Williams, & not by County budget

Elise Aymer

Thanks for sharing this KOIN piece, Tim.

It was hopeful and exciting if something definite comes of it. I am wondering if anyone knows how much purchase Williams' ideas have really gotten with the City and County. There was a lot of mention in the segment of him talking with them -- which is a bit (and maybe understandably vague).

Does anyone else know how far those talks have gone?

Also, thoughts on his village concept? On the other components of his four part plan? I remember checking out Home Share before and wondering why it wasn't more talked about.

Was neat to see the anchors and reporter so enthusiastic about housing.

Elise

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 1:37 PM Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:
"Williams wants to open villages across [Portland] to accommodate as many as 20,000 people....[He] is talking with the city about using a publicly-owned piece of property to open the first managed community by the end of June.
https://www.koin.com/news/special-reports/a-developers-4-part-plan-to-solve-portlands-homeless-crisis/. story by Dan Tilkin at KOIN -- thanks Dan. Awesome work, visioning, and action, Homer.
Bcc: Dan Tilkin, Homer Williams. Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.25.40 AM.png
This is from Homer Williams, with whom I've had a few conversations over the last few months, and whom I often suggest might lead Portland's 'village' initiatives to much greater scale and success and innovation than the official, somewhat minimal & grudging moves.
The contrast is stark: the county chair released her proposal yesterday (https://multco.us/budget/fy-2022-chairs-proposed-budget) for all city/county annual spending on homelessness, $150M. It contains only $350k for "alternative shelter", zero for additional housing.
So far, official Portland in regard to funding has weighed in very heavily on the side of services funding and traditional congregate shelter. County Chair Deborah Kafoury is seen as (and mentioned in this news piece) as a longtime skeptic/opponent of alternative shelter and housing options, whom Williams has long battled with over various projects. Having followed it closely in last 2 years, I'd say that the City/County position is quite at odds with public opinion and citizen advocacy, which is widely supportive of "alternative shelter" / village approaches, challenging the prevailing system.

+1 503 334 1894

Elise Aymer
Co-founder, Critical Diversity Solutions
Pronouns: She/her

Thanks for your message!