Re: our Oregonian op-ed supporting *permenent* options in Shelter to Housing Continuum,

Peter Finley Fry

Our housing and zoning codes are developed after years of one crisis after another that have resulted in plaques; horrible living conditions; and specific efforts to force people to live in horrible substandard conditions or worse.

As we all are previlage to live in a country with paved streets and sewer and water; we find it hard to understand or remember where we have come from and why the laws that we have are important.  It is unfortunate that the vast majority of humans who live in the states have no idea what it is like to live in poverty or oppression.

So we as entitled humans demand special privileged to do what we like without concern for the consequences of our actions and the “fantasy” village falls into the typical human reality of the strong preying on the weak and disabled.

This is why there is a need for transparent self governance of villages that are actually settlements not camps.  A settlement (village, town, city) is not the same as low barrier camps (emergency rooms) where people be in a safe enough environment to open up and receive help to allow them to move out of the relationship impoverished situation that they have found themselves in cast out form their very families.

Peter Finley Fry   AICP PhD MUP

303 NW Uptown Terrace; Unit 1B

Portland, Oregon 97210

503 703-8033