Re: review, suggest, endorse Shelter to Housing Continuum draft testimony letter, to submit tomorrow

Janice Yaden

I would also join my friend, Mary Fellows in this endeavor.  As you know, I've been out to see your fantastic digs. 

On Sunday, March 28, 2021, 04:49:13 PM PDT, Mary Fellows <mefellows@...> wrote:

I would like to help with this (I work in nearby Multnomah Village) but at 75, my middle school days are far behind me.  Let me know if I can hellp.

Thanks,
Mary

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 4:44 PM Matthew Lembo <matt.lembo@...> wrote:
Hey Andy,

I think a few folks from SNA might be interested in coming out to help with this.  How would we proceed?

-Matt

On Mar 18, 2021, at 1:11 PM, Andrew Olshin <Andrew.Olshin@...> wrote:

All
Spring is here.  Almost.
Time for building parties.  Cascadia Clusters has been running carpentry workshops with middle-schoolers for the past 18 months.  We have 10 project spots laid out 10’ apart, plenty of tools and lots of project that - when they come together - provide housing, showers, laundry, electricity, heat etc. 
If you and/or a group you are a part of - are interested in hiking, walking, biking, bussing or driving over to Makom (מָקוֹם; place; 6698 SW Capitol Hwy) - we would really appreciate the help.

Peace,
Andy Olshin
Founder, Executive Director

<8C5E638B-8A93-4647-A5AF-A8D145C3B33A.jpeg>

<D289E81C-A63A-4F8A-B1D6-942B9A9D9BBA.jpeg><D6996AB2-81B2-467E-912B-6247B461210B.jpeg>

On Mar 18, 2021, at 11:32 AM, Donna Cohen <dcohen@...> wrote:

I think the idea has a lot of merit – although perhaps more realistic once we’ve all had shots; personally, I won’t even drive with another person [but, I’m old].

One thing to consider – don’t overlook immediate needs. For example, I think food/drink should be available to those you invite, before and/or after the event. 

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MLIS, MEd
Portland, Oregon
503-737-1425
Civics for Adults – and Others – Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire Political Engagement
“My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not right, not just – stand up, say something, speak up!” Rep. John Lewis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY

From: pdxshelterforum@groups.io <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Angie Gilbert
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2021 11:26 AM
To: pdxshelterforum@groups.io
Cc: Celeste Duvall <celeste.duvall@...>; Destinee Sanchez <destinee.sanchez@...>
Subject: Re: [pdxshelterforum] review, suggest, endorse Shelter to Housing Continuum draft testimony letter, to submit tomorrow

Jim I think you are a genius and I love it. Thank you for always thinking outside the box. I am down to help. I have an idea of a few folks who might be up for it as well. I will reach out and keep you posted. Angie

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 11:15 AM Jim Krauel <jimmykrauel@...> wrote:
Hi All,

Was doing a Forest Park hike last night and had an idea.   I tend to dream big so bare with me.  
The dream: Starting a new organization called Houseless Hikers of Portland.

Work with various local businesses and  municipalities to facilitate
periodic hikes to Forest Park on the west side and Oaks Bottom or Powell Butte on the east side.

I know folks at Nike and Columbia Sportswear that would be willing to provide footwear and the dream would be
to get the county/city involved to help provide transportation.  MeetUp has dozens of local hiking groups and I'm sure we 
could find hike leaders to head the expeditions. 

Throughout time, All of the great spiritual leaders have advocated for spending time in nature and this program would
provide very inexpensive therapy for our houseless neighbors.  ( Poignant Link:  https://tinyurl.com/3ukkprxb )

Blessings to all,
Jim Krauel
Operation Nightwatch

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:15 PM Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...> wrote:
ok, S2HC community testimony letter and form is READY, after incorporating many edits and suggestions. Please check it out, share, co-sign if you are in general agreement, and/or adapt for your own separate/additional letter: http://s2hc-letter.pdxshelterforum.org

From recent input and from reading the online testimony, we have added points including: 
1) addressing concerns about shelters in park and natural/sensitive outdoor areas,
2) calling for geographic balance and all neighborhoods' participation in shelter/village site selection. 
3) waiving fees for new shelter applications.

thank you to all the many, many people who've collaborated on this along a long road earlier and quite a sprint today. We'll see what happens tomorrow at 2pm hearing and after -- change, for sure. 
Tim

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 9:22 PM Tim McCormick via groups.io <tmccormick=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
awesome, thank you Andy, I have incorporated those edits/corrections. 
almost there!

--
Tim McCormick
Moderator PDX Shelter Forum, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative
Portland, Oregon 

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 9:08 PM Andy Harris <andyharrismd@...> wrote:
Tim,

This review and suggestions are very helpful.  You have probably already caught these typos, but if not, in the letter to mayor and council, under “Our recommendations”:
2) line 4 should read “at least”
3) line 3 should read “all kinds”
4) par 4, line 4 should read “include”
9) line 4 should read “reasonably”

Thanks very much for all your work on this project.

Andy Harris

From: <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> on behalf of Tim McCormick <tmccormick@...>
Reply-To: <pdxshelterforum@groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 1:43 PM
To: <pdxshelterforum@groups.io>
Subject: [pdxshelterforum] review, suggest, endorse Shelter to Housing Continuum draft testimony letter, to submit tomorrow

We have drafted a Shelter for Forum Continuum project (S2HC) shared testimony letter / talking points: it's in the ongoing, now epic length doc, s2hc.pdxshelterforum.org, section near top "Testimony letter / talking points draft":
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EP0i3gf3aJljkjrKCC-FrnYmq2MAqHAnYVH_zHP8Cuk/edit#heading=h.48zbbolu27sp.

Please have a look and post any suggested changes or additions to the list, or as comment on the document, or to me or Sean green@...directly. You can also indicate if you'd like to cosign, i.e endorse.

After incorporating feedback, we plan to make a PDF version and a co-sign form, which makes it easy to share or co-sign (and/or adapt to submit your own testimony letter, which is fine and encouraged, especially if you mention PDX Shelter Forum as source).  

A few hours before the Weds 2pm testimony deadline and Council meeting, I will add all form-cosigned names to the PDF, and then officially submit this PDF as PDX Shelter Forum's testimony. Also, especially since the online testimony tool has been flooded by semi-automated-looking one-note posts, we will probably send the letter directly to the Mayor & Councilmembers, and key city staff.  
thanks everyone for all the help & input!
Tim. 

--
Tim McCormick
Moderator PDX Shelter Forum, Editor at HousingWiki,
Organizer at Village Collaborative
Portland, Oregon 

--

Mary E. Fellows

Join pdxshelterforum@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.