Re: Action Alert: 4pm Deadline Today to Sign S2HC Advocacy Letter

Keith Wilson

Tim & Sean,

Well said. Thanks to both you and Sean for your guidance. I have signed onto the doc. In addition, I sent the following testimony to expand on the Community Center code request:

“Currently, Community Centers are coded Open Spaces, OS, and Mass Shelter Prohibited. Portland is using these resources as Mass Shelters (e.g. Charles Jordan, Mt Scott). Please change the designation for Community Centers to Mass Shelter available (remove prohibited designation).” 33.285.050 does not list OS as an available zone for Mass Shelters.

Community Centers are positioned throughout our city to support our communities and neighborhoods. Everything they stand for is positive. I cannot think of a more honorable use than saving the lives of our neighbors who have lost their homes. We should repurpose these huge, valuable assets, that all have bathrooms and showers, at night as shelters. Anderson and Martin would no longer be an issue because the city would have a flex / flow opportunity to support safe sleep for 100% of our citizens. This would result in zero tents and structures being needed by the vulnerable in Portland.

TriMet leadership and I recently partnered on a demonstration (https://www.facebook.com/100045753248172/videos/194167805451660) on how this concept would work. We repurposed the Gateway Park & Ride as a Pop-Up Shelter. To learn more, please watch this short video or call me at your convenience.

Please reflect on these benefits and change the code to accommodate. Every Portlanders deserves to sleep in a bed every night.

Assuring you of my best intentions.

Keith Wilson”