From: pdxshelterforum@groups.io <pdxshelterforum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Danielle Elowe
Sent: Sunday, July 5, 2020 1:31 PM
To: pdxshelterforum@groups.io
Subject: Re: [pdxshelterforum] PDX Shelter Forum - Check out Community First! Village in Austin TX

From what I've read and heard directly from unsheltered folks, the houseless community has not so far responded favorably to the utilization of the Wapato Jail site for reasons that seem obvious. 1) It's a jail, and regardless of facelifts that fact will remain triggering to many 2) More pragmatically, it is super far away from City Center. While they can promise to be self-sufficient in regards to medical and social services, it still smells of something carceral - the message reads We'll ship you way out here until you're ready to rejoin all of us in civilised society.

I'm not discounting it's potential usefulness entirely, but I think a ton more community input is needed, not from the city or from non-profits, but from those directly affected. That's my two cents.

-Danielle Elowe

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020, 12:22 PM Candee Wilson <candee@...> wrote:

If you aren't familiar with Alan Evans and Bybee Lakes Hope Center, this is what he wants to do with the 18+ acres at the former Wapato jail. He envisions building apartments in addition to the center for people to transition to after treatment. He also plans to use the built-in work environment surrounding the center to help find employment opportunities. This is happening right here in Portland, so ,yes, there are visionaries in our midst. And instead of just serving 200 people, it will serve over 500 eventually. We have a model to follow right here.

Candee Wilson
411 NW Flanders St. #406
Portland, OR  97209
503-789-0332