Re: Metro homeless tax committee under scrutiny over lack of houseless & substance-abuse survivors representation

Jill <jillspencer@...>

Rachel,

What is PPOP?  As a community member not directly involved in a service or government organization, I find acronyms challenging.

Thanks for clarification.

Jill

On Jul 4, 2020, at 3:36 PM, Rachel Day <rachelday@...> wrote:

Thank you for your honesty Trena.  PPOP is a disgrace to the communities they inundate with needles and other drug paraphernalia.  I have had users tell me they increased their use once PPOP came into their lives.  Portland just enables, enables and enables.

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 4:42 PM Trena Sutton <thegirlsok@...> wrote:
 Good Afternoon,

 I’ve been doing this for well over a decade now and I can tell you that drug and alcohol addiction amongst the homeless is about 95% of the homeless  populace. I’m not an expert but I know the people. The former president of the Clackamas County  lawyers Association asked me what I thought the chief causes of homelessness where.  That’s a no brainer as the people have 1° or another of mental illness exacerbated by drug amd/or  alcohol addiction. The life itself is so oppressive you will do anything to escape that pain. The expert should have a seat at the table.

 That’s just my two cents worth.

Trena

"Metro homeless tax committee membership under scrutiny"
Zane Sparling, Portland Tribune, Thursday, July 02, 2020
https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/472344-382069-metro-homeless-tax-committee-membership-under-scrutiny-

A coalition of addiction service providers say the committee lacks representation from substance abuse survivors and the homeless.

<Metro-logo-street-banner.jpg> <Here-Together-banner.jpg>

A coalition of nine local addiction recovery agencies want a seat at the table as the tri-county regional government considers how to dole out the cash from a homeless services money measure.

Led by Tony Vezina, executive director of 4D Recovery, the group says Metro's committee for the recently passed regional supportive housing measure "lacks significant representation" from key constituent groups.

"As far as we can tell, the Regional Supportive Housing Services Stakeholder Advisory Table lacks representation from those with lived experience of homelessness, mental illness and substance use recovery," says the three-page letter, dated July 2, and addressed to the Metro Council.

The letter asks the council to postpone the first meeting of the advisory committee, which is slated to meet virtually on Monday, July 6.
[..]